30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Risk: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Edition» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does my game have the right cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TheRingBearer Today
msg tools
Wondering if anyone can help with a question on the Risk LOTR Trilogy version?

Two player game: How do you deal out the cards for both people and the guest team?

Rules state that it is 16 good 16 evil and 21 guest (Neutral)

Is that 16 good cards X2 and 21 neutral as there are only 15 evil cards.

Probably misunderstanding a simple rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: First post EVER.
Moved to Risk: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy Edition : Rules

Can some kind fellow help out our newest member?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't have this game, but I looked through the rules, and they seem to imply that there should be 16 Evil Territory cards. Maybe your game is missing a card somehow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Hoya - thanks for getting the ball rolling.
(in fact reading a ruleset for a game you don't own so you can help out - awsome!)

According to the component list there should be
64 Territory Cards. Which further strengthens this theory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Hey Hoya - thanks for getting the ball rolling.
(in fact reading a ruleset for a game you don't own so you can help out - awsome!)

Well, gosh, shucks and all that. modest
Just trying to do what I can, which is usually not much. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheRingBearer Today
msg tools
Re: Now 2nd post EVER.
Thanks for the help guys.

The game was a present and bought from an expensive shop (already found it much cheaper on line)

Anyway, I digress....

I am sure the game is legit but there seem to be a few problems with the rule book.

Firstly the rules state that the 'wild cards' should be in the territory cards, however they are in fact in the adventure card deck.

Is this right?

Second is the problem with the territory cards. There are 64 territory cards 16 good 15 evil and 33 neutral.

The rules for two players reads: Remove the wild cards from the territory card deck. (See problem 1)
Separate the remaining cards into a good, an evil and a neutral deck.
Shuffle each deck and deal them to the players as shown below.

GOOD PLAYER -16 GOOD
EVIL PLAYER -16 EVIL
NEUTRAL ARMY - NEUTRAL

I don't see the point of shuffling the decks before dealing them if the cards will not change and you are allowed to look at them anyway.

But the point is that there are only 15 evil cards.

Lastly in the rule book there are a couple of sentences that are cut short. They just stop in the middle of

Infuriating isn't it!

Any help would be grate.
Thanks for the help so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheRingBearer Today
msg tools
Re: Now 3rd post EVER.
I think I'm on to something.

Quick quick anyone who owns the game....

Check the Umbar territory card.... Ok are you looking?

Is it a good, evil or neutral?

Thanks all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played this game for some years now, but I used to play it often with 2-player setup.

Somethings you should observe:

1) In my copy, the wildcards backs are the same as the territory cards, resulting in a total of 66 territory cards. If their backs are the same as the adventure cards, something is definitely very wrong.

2) There are 16 Good territory cards, 16 Evil territory cards and 32 neutral territory cards. (The reason to shuffle the decks is to randomly deal only 21 from the 32 neutral cards to the neutral player. The unclaimed 11 territories will be claimed by the players taking turns afterwards. Agree in that good and evil decks do not need to be shuffled).

3) In the manual I can not see any sentence stopping in the middle of them. I think the original manual scan can still be downloaded from hasbro.com.

So yes, I didn't want to tell, but it looks like you own a fake copy of the game, since the original didn't present any of these problems. I don't know how much you paid for it, but if they sold it to whoever gave it to you as a legit copy, you should return it to the store and ask for a refund.

Edit: In case you can not find the rules in the Hasbro site anymore, there is a scan available here in BGG:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/4335/lotrrisk-pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules can also be found:

http://www.hasbro.com/common/instruct/Risk_Lord_of_the_Rings...

I'd just make a replacement card and move on. Sounds like you've been unlucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Tucker
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Umbar is evil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheRingBearer Today
msg tools
Re: 4th post EVER.
Thank you so much for your info.

I have phoned hasbro and they say the same thing.

Thanks for taking the time to help out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheRingBearer Today
msg tools
Re: 5th post EVER.
Thanks again.

My Umbar is neutral.

I thought that as (in my version)Umbar is the only territory with a stronghold in the neutral deck it may actually be evil instead.

All your help in this matter is much appreciated.

I'll let you know how the exchange goes. If it is a simple factory fault then the other games in the shop may not be the same. If it is a forged batch then the people that have bought the game as Christmas presents will have a nasty surprise come gaming time.

Thanks all around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please do give us a shout with how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi TJSampson,

would you be so kind to change the title of the thread, to make clear what it is about? You can just edit your first post and change the subject line. Maybe "Does my game have the right cards?".

Welcome to BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheRingBearer Today
msg tools
Hi guys, sorry about the thread thing. I'm really quite new to technology.

Took the game back to the place of purchase. They were very helpful.

I showed them that the 'wild cards' have the adventure card back, Umbar is not included in the evil deck and the rules in the blue column are sometimes cut off.

We opened another box and found the same problems. So the prognosis is: Most likely a printing error with this company's batch. A full refund is given and the store will be contacting their suppliers and returning the games.

That's what they tell me. Probably just sell them anyway.

I'm going back tomorrow to make sure there all off the shelf. Not that I don't trust them or anything, it's just, well, large co operations, you get it.

So no one hurt so far.

Just throwing it out there, does anyone know where i can get a legitimate version? I really wanted to game.

Thanks again everyone for all your help. The world is a safer place thanks to you.......

Ok maybe not that dramatic. However it is just the situation that sites like this are made for.

Thanks guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry that you could not get the game yet. Where are you living?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheRingBearer Today
msg tools
I'm In UK, Buckinghamshire, Milton Keynes.

I have just briefly looked online and most of the sellers happen to be from the shop I had bought my faulty game from.

I have sent their customer services a polite detailed email outlining the problems and have asked if they can forward it to their other branches.

Really hope they take the email seriously as it could really ruin other peoples gift ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon seems to have it. Check if it is what you are looking for, I am not familiar with all the Risk editions that exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheRingBearer Today
msg tools
Thanks, I'll take a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dobby one
msg tools
Have just got it from Amazon and it has exactly the same problems as you have listed - sentences finishing with the word 'only' in the instruction booklet and only 15 evil cards - really frustrating since it was a birthday present - obviously a significant number have been printed incorrectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rubbish.

Dobby one would you mind telling us where you are in the world? Eg which Amazons people should be avoiding.

Amazon will give you your money back but ug their customer service sucks - it being a gift makes it a bit more tricky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, did Dobby one buy the game from Amazon proper, or from a 3rd party Amazon retailer? That could be a huge difference right there. (maybe)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheRingBearer Today
msg tools
Hi All,

Seems that it is a problem with the batch in England.

As I have said previously, I have contacted WARTERSTONES and asked them to recall the faulty products or at least stop selling the games they know are misprinted.

They sent a reply saying and I quote: 'We appreciate all the feedback we receive from customers and we have passed this on to have our current stock checked as well'.

Nice of them to take my email seriously (or so they say).

Last I checked they were still selling them in the shops and you can still buy them at the on line store.

I visited a different Warterstones on Sunday and purchased another game (With cash this time). I opened it up strait away and found the same problem with no surprise. I immediately explained the problem and received my money back.

I just hope that other people who purchased this game find this site.

Well done everyone!

Keep us all updated with faulty versions.

But avoid any from Warterstones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheRingBearer Today
msg tools
Just came back from the Games Workshop.

Saw the game, explained the problems, they opened their boxed set and realized they had the same problem. They are sending their copies back to the printers.

Good Guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
colin oatway
United Kingdom
wokingham, Nr reading
berkshire
flag msg tools
Sometimes I pretend to be normal
badge
But it gets boring, so I go back to being me
mbmbmbmbmb
hi
just got this for christmas, and mine also has the above printing errors

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.