Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Paul
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, let me tell you that I have had it up to here with fantasy games based on cards with abstract themes and numerous random elements. So I get Seasons for a gift and I see some possitive reviews about it, I didn't think my game group would like it, I didn't think I would like it, but the thing has become one of my favorites.

OVERVIEW OF THE GAME:

There is no way to completely explain the game in a blurp so what follows is the ramblings for a madman trying to set the table before serving the review as a meal.

You start by dealing nine cards to 2-4 players. A round of drafting takes place in which you choose a card and pass the rest on, This continues until each player has chosen 9 cards. They then divide the cards into three stacks of three. One for the first year, one for the second and one for the third.

Then a player rolls a bunch of dice and everyone at the table chooses one in turn, leaving one remaining. You follow the directives of the icons on the die you selected, taking elements such as earth, air, wind and fire, or scoring points. A frame denotes ‘transmuting’, which is selling your elements back for Crystals or points. Should there be a star on the dice you choose you are allowed to increase the total of cards you can play. Dots on the last dice advance the seasons of the game. Each season brings new dice and a new trading schedule for transmuting.

The real fun of the game lies in the cards which have a cost to play, benefits and abilities and a value in Prestige points toward the end of the game. A crystal track records Points . At the end of the game prestige points and crystal points will be added up and penalties substracted to determine a winner.

So how does it play. The cards you draft give you a framework for the game, and cards you take during the game have a role in determining tactics. It can be a mean cutthroat experience. There are numerous decisions.

I am struck by the art, the quality of the components and the fluid gameplay.

My game group is addicted. There are some cons to this game. Although they give rules for a begining game, the fact is you need at least one game under your belt to understand the flow and tactics of the game. New players will be at a disadvantage.

The big selling point is it's fast, with numerous decisions, it's fun and it is unique. I can't think of a game to compare it to. Give it a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Hadden
Canada
Biggar
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to this one. Watched some reviews, really interested. Hoping to get it for Christmas (just spent too much on other games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Jackson
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy this game for alot of the reasons you've mentioned as well. Once you get the hang of things, which really only takes one game, it moves pretty quickly. I hope they have expansions in the works with new card additions, I'd love to see how new powers could continue to expand the gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Morasse
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree! The mechanic and the aesthetic are great!

This is the first game since Dominion that my wife would ask to play on a regular basis.

I didn't try it with 3 or 4 players though, maybe AP would become a factor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Paul
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AP doesn't seem to be a major issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Régis Bonnessée
France
Poitiers
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for you review Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Paul
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thany YOU for such a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.