Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When a player places his first start rail track, do you have to pay the corresponding cost for the terrain type (River 1, Mountain 2, City 1)? The rules are mute on this point but the players have no money. Assuming this means the first placement is free then it seems a bit of a no brainer not to place on a city, probably a triple. Am I missing something?

Just as an aside, after our first play, it seemed 'wrong' that the station marker placment is free excepting the collecting of a waste card. Is this correct or have I missed something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on the example of play after the main rules (page 12), I have played with the initial track placement having no cost and garnering no waste cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
When a player places his first start rail track, do you have to pay the corresponding cost for the terrain type (River 1, Mountain 2, City 1)? The rules are mute on this point but the players have no money. Assuming this means the first placement is free then it seems a bit of a no brainer not to place on a city, probably a triple. Am I missing something?

Just as an aside, after our first play, it seemed 'wrong' that the station marker placment is free excepting the collecting of a waste card. Is this correct or have I missed something else?

The initial placement isn't described as a rail laying action (And in fact has different restrictions anyway) so you don't have any of the penalties to pay, as to the waste, that's a second action on the rail laying card anyway, so definitely not.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don D.
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Big Bad Lex wrote:

The initial placement isn't described as a rail laying action (And in fact has different restrictions anyway) so you don't have any of the penalties to pay, as to the waste, that's a second action on the rail laying card anyway, so definitely not.

B>

I think this is not clear in the rules actually.

JK hahaha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Ho ho", he said woodenly, as the red mist slowly cleared from his vision.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, yeah, building in a city is fairly obvious move, I don't think I've ever started outside a city (after all, you might draw Station Expansion on the first turn and want to use it immediately), but it's not always a red city. If you have four players, I don't think most maps even have four red cities and some of those red cities are tucked away in corners where I wouldn't really want to start.

I don't really fret about the initial placement in the first place, we don't always do it in strict turn order either, just "come on, put your token somewhere" and those who think slowest get the last pick. I don't think it really matters that much. Every map I've seen so far has at least couple of interesting places to start from.

Station Expansion is indeed free, and there's nothing wrong about it. Collecting Waste is penalty enough...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, it is not clearly worded in the rules, but the example at the end of the rulebook (setup plus the first two turns) clearly states that the players place their starting token and then each play 5 cards, so obviously they did neither pay the costs, nor received a waste card....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Elsenheimer
United States
Howard City
MI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:

This is explored a little here as well:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/13274413#13274413

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.