Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only played Tzolk'in a few times, and so far I have used the double-move (opting to move the Tzolk'in gear an additional time) option when taking Start player in order to advance my workers faster, but it wasn't really that big a deal compared to just waiting an extra turn most of the time.

One time when I did this it messed up an opponents' carefully planned turn, he had planned to advance in technology 3 times, and while he was able to pay food to move 1 of his pawns back, he didn't have enough food to move the other one, so I cost him a food and some timing hassles.

That same opponent (in the same game... poor guy!) was actually hit much harder when another opponent used the option to make the feeding phase hit sooner. My friend the victim did not have much food at all, and all of his workers were off the board. He had planned to place them on the board this turn, then remove them (gaining food) in time to feed them. Instead, being unable to fully feed (and in fact, barely being able to feed at all) he simply placed some workers and took a 9vp hit.

That last situation is where I can see the double-move being a really big deal. In most other cases it will be an annoyance, costing an opponent a food or two, or simply making them adjust their plan a little bit. It might even help them reach a better action than they were planning. But if you can catch someone low on food with all of their pieces off the board (or at least off the food spaces), you can hasten the feeding phase and give them a hearty kick in the crotch. I can't imagine anyone really coming back from a 6-9vp hit in a highly competitive game.

What other ways have you used the double-move option to your advantage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb

I used the double move to move an opponent past the best opening on the skull wheel and put my skull there instead. He paid some food to place on a lower place and lost out on some VPs from the lower spot.

It was also the next-to-last turn of the game, and caught a player with pawns in hand which were useless to play on the last turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my first play through at BGG.Con I was able to do the double move twice since I got to the top of one of the temples and got to flip my card over again right before I took control of the start token.

On the first occasion I used it to aid myself. I moved my pieces into a more advantageous gear placement setting up my next moves.

The second time I double moved it to screw someone from getting exactly what they needed.

In the end it all seemed to work since I won the thing. Probably the only thing I won that week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its an incentive to take start player to stop someone screwing you over when your plans require the last two moves.

Its a very subtle rule, but there again its a very subtle game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sutherland
United Kingdom
(just) West of London
Middlesex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to use it to benefit my guys on the wheels when others have had to take theirs off.

DarrinWilliams wrote:
It was also the next-to-last turn of the game, and caught a player with pawns in hand which were useless to play on the last turn.

How I have suffered with that in my second game. A great move by an opponent. It did not benefit him directly in any way but cost me 15 VPs (for unfed meeples)! cry A second place for me instead of my first ever first place in the game.

Big Bad Lex wrote:
Its an incentive to take start player to stop someone screwing you over when your plans require the last two moves.

Agreed, having learnt my lesson (see above).

Big Bad Lex wrote:
Its a very subtle rule, but there again its a very subtle game.

As I am beginning to realise........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
In my first game I used it to make myself loose the game.
I shortened the game from 3 to 2 turns until the end end didn't realize at that point, that I'd need 3 turns for my plans (forgetting that placing worker and using action costs 2 and not 1 turn).

But next time I'm gonna screw the others devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heinz Kiosk
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The double move can be brutal when someone is short of food before a feeding turn, or when someone is counting on two turns remaining at the end of the game. This cost me about 10 points in a recent game when someone who had few remaining opportunities to advance their own score decided to shorten the game. I knew the possibility was there, but there was nothing I could realistically do to block it.

I've also used it to get an extra cog advance at the final turn, which allowed me to place a crystal skull in the last available high-value slot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tom.mcclelland wrote:
The double move can be brutal when someone is short of food before a feeding turn, or when someone is counting on two turns remaining at the end of the game. This cost me about 10 points in a recent game when someone who had few remaining opportunities to advance their own score decided to shorten the game. I knew the possibility was there, but there was nothing I could realistically do to block it.

I've also used it to get an extra cog advance at the final turn, which allowed me to place a crystal skull in the last available high-value slot.

That last thing could have happened if you just waited though, right? However maybe you didn't have useful things to do in that in-between turn while you waited...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Boyle
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
Proud Balmain Board Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
The double move can be quite devastating on unwary opponents who run 'close to the bone' or is the 'close to the cob' corn margins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:

That last thing could have happened if you just waited though, right?

He said it was the last turn of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Corwin1980 wrote:
sedjtroll wrote:

That last thing could have happened if you just waited though, right?

He said it was the last turn of the game.

Ah, yes... I missed that. I thought he meant that he'd made it the final turn. My bad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zevin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In addition to the uses listed above - (starving your opponents, making them pay food to go back to the space they were setting up for, bumping yourself to the spaces you want to get to faster) one general strategy for the double turn is to make sure ALL your people are on the wheels except for the guy you use to take start player. If you have 4 people on the wheels and your opponents have only have 1 or 2, you've essentially gained almost a full turn on them. Conversely if you see a start player grab/double move lurking near in the shadows, make sure you have most of your peeps on those wheels as to not lose actions to your opponents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Golgert
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I pulled off what I thought was an amazing combo, yoinking workers off for a tech, building and resource that left me sitting pretty to place and then recall to get the corn I needed to feed. And then some jerk took start player and double-moved, while I had nothing on the board. Nothing. I got zero advantage from the double advancement, and without the two turns to place and recall my workers, I was screwed for food and starved two workers.

A newbie mistake, worthy of my second game, that I will never repeat. Don't set yourself up for a bad situation on the double move, especially 2 steps from a food day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SamwiseG wrote:
And then some jerk took start player and double-moved, while I had nothing on the board.

s/jerk/better player/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Naumovitz
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Last time I played, I was last player in a 3 player game and started with 8 corn, 1 gold, and an extra worker. Since I didn't have enough corn to place all 4 my first turn, I decided to place 2 the first turn and the other 2 the second. On the second turn I placed one on sp and chose to double spin since I had 3 on the wheels and the other players had 0 and 1 on. It seemed effective and, as a result, I'm wondering whether it might be a reasonably good play whenever you start with an extra worker (also probably not as 1st player) to aim to double spin on turn 2, since a lot of times it can mess up an uxmal gambit or catch other players with few workers on wheels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.