6 Posts

The Pillars of the Earth: Builders Duel» Forums » Rules

Subject: 1X cards -- what does the 1X mean? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
People interpret this to mean that such a card must be discarded after one use; which implies that there are personal cards which do not say "1X" which can be re-used (until they are re-shuffled).

But I don't see where the English rules actually SAY this...have I missed something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe if it doesn't say 1x then you have to play it immediately and you can't keep it. I don't have the rules in front of me right now though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Fielding
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think its the other way around. Cards without 1X are resolved immediately and then put into the discards along with the unused cards from the 3x3 array.

The 1X allows you to KEEP the card instead of using it immediately, and discard it when played.

But it does not actually SAY so in English. The context implies that you can keep it & use it unlimited times, until the deck is reshuffled. But once you play the game you discover that it becomes too powerful to do it that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The 1X allows you to KEEP the card instead of using it immediately, and discard it when played.

Agreed, that's what I was saying. It's confusing because "1x" is often used in games to signify it is a one-use item vs. a repeated use. When really they are all one-use cards, just that here "1x" means you can hold on to it and don't have to use it immediately.

At least, that's the way we've always understood the ruling. I tried to look the English rules up on line for backup and couldn't find them, then realized it's Mayfair and so probably are not available. If I remember when I'm with the game I'd like to give it another look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gronak wrote:
I think its the other way around. Cards without 1X are resolved immediately and then put into the discards along with the unused cards from the 3x3 array.

But it does not actually SAY so in English.

To be fair, the rules *do* say so in English, (and you are correct). Everything you just said is in the rules:

After claiming the cards, it tells you to Resolve them:
Start of Page 4 wrote:
Resolving Advantage Cards: The Player with the Start marker resolves all the cards claimed with his personal markers, in any order.

It then details specifically how to resolve each card, taking coins, wool etc. Then it explains the neutrals, explaining that you can keep them and use them later if you wish (or now):
End of Page 4 wrote:
Either player may use Neutral Advantage Cards (with the brown frame). Many of these show a 1x icon. You may take these and place them in front of you. At any time, in the current or future round, you may use the card for it's effects.

Then there's the lengthy Building section, followed by the clean up at the end of the turn, where it tells you to discard the resolved cards (since they're still on the table), as well as played 1x cards:
Start of Page 6 wrote:
End of a Turn: Once both players have used their advantage cards and/or built buildings, both players retrieve their character markers. Pick up the remaining displayed cards and discard them. Keep separate discards for A and B. As 1x cards are used, place them in their respective discard piles.

Now, it is a bit spread out, from page 4 to 6. So you have to read it, and retain some of it. But it is all there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if the English rules differ from the German ones about this, but two important things regarding this from the German rules:

- you can use those 1x cards at any time during your current or future turn, but it has to be during your turn, not the other player's turn
- once the deck of A or B cards has been completely played through and is going to be used again for a second time, any unused 1x cards of that deck still in play have to be discarded without their effects being resolved, so that the complete deck of cards can be shuffled again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.