Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Arkham Companion - An Android Card App rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fenyx FitzUre
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I made an Arkham Horror app for Android!
You can read all about it on the FFG forums. And you can grab it from Google Play or Dropbox.

One thing that I forgot to mention in my forum post was that it let me pack all of Arkham in two big boxes since I don't need to pack all those cards anymore.

Enjoy!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Installed it onto my Kindle Fire, looks to be running OK, need to give it a good work through then I will leave some comments but as a starter for 10 it looks nice. thumbsup

Regards

Gnome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toxica
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I installed it on my Galaxy S3. So far it looks really nice. Everything that reduces the setup time of a game especially since I play Arkham Horror solo alot, is a big win in my book. Will try it out when I come home from work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is great! I've been really hoping that FFG would port their iOS app to android specifically for location events (I'd love Mythos as well but there's much less shuffling there so it's not as important) and this app does just that. This app alone will bring me back to playing the board version and not just the VASSAL version (I prefer to actually play the board version).

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenyx FitzUre
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Oogarasu wrote:
I'd love Mythos as well but there's much less shuffling there so it's not as important

I haven't done Mythos yet because there are a few major problems in the app as opposed to real cards. All centering around a lot of Mythos cards remain in play. Whether it is an environment, rumor or just a "keep until next turn" effect. Seems like by midgame we've got two Mythos on the board every turn. Some with clue tokens as counters!

So, I need a small history for mythos for "currently in play". Allow adding counters to those cards to track stuff. But even then you have the problem of it being on a phone and not on the table reminding everyone at the table to pop off a token or roll the die or whatever.

So, yeah, need to figure out a lot of user experience problems before I get started on Mythos. If people have any thoughts I'd love to hear 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Fenyx4 wrote:

So, yeah, need to figure out a lot of user experience problems before I get started on Mythos. If people have any thoughts I'd love to hear 'em.

I think waiting on the Mythos part is perfectly fine. All the shuffling of locations and having so many stacks out was my problem with the game and what you have (and it works fine for me so far on my Nexus phone) is great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toxica
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finished my first solo play with your app. Such a big time saver as expected. Also I did not run into any bugs on my Samsung S3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Ben-Sira
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great Work! love it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Full Doom Track
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
I downloaded your card app last night! I will be trying this out once I'm done with Finals next week. The app seems pretty intuitive to me, but I'll provide feedback once I use it! Looks great so far though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant app!

Runs a bit unstable on my phone though - a few instances of force closes.

I wonder if it would be possible to choose which cards to include in the decks? Then again I suppose you could always choose the expansions and then draw another if desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenyx FitzUre
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thanks FDT! Looking forwards to more of your podcast!

Adam, is it happening while interacting with the Other World deck? If so I think I know what the problem is and will try to get a fix out soon. Gotta speed up the shuffling of the other world deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there Fenyx.

Here are my observations on the app to date.

1) You are right that it happens on the Otherworld deck. I think it's because I'm impatient whistle and start pressing keys when there's not an immediate action. I've found that there is a delay of a few seconds when entering the OW deck for the first time - perhaps the shuffling of so many cards takes a while. If I'm patient there's no problem.

2) I've been verifying card counts - everything check out! . I like the idea that one can start a new game and select one of the expansions without selecting the base game - so one can see what cards are added with each expansion. However, for some reason the "The Stars Are Right" card appears when this is done. This should not be here as it's part of the base deck. It's not a big deal I guess but something to consider.

3) I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of the lights are in the OW panel. I DO like the idea that selecting an OW automatically screens cards of that colour.

4) I like the History button as well. Agree that an icon would be helpful.

Overall a brilliant app and one that considerably reduces the table setup. Highly recommended to any owners of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: King in Yellow Touring Performance.

A thought...

It SHOULD be possible to implement this based on the card behavior you've previously programmed. It would likely require a little extra work though.

On the presentation side you could either display Touring Performance as a separate option on the game setup menu or alternatively, as a sub-option alongside Permanent Performance under the King in Yellow setup selection.

On the deck preparation side, shuffle only KiY cards (OW and location) and display these to the user. Cards drawn from these decks are discarded and not shuffled.

When the KiY cards are all used up, the user starts drawing from the main deck (again draws are discarded and not reshuffled). When the main deck is used up then BOTH KiY cards and main deck cards are shuffled together creating a new deck as in the standard game setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenyx FitzUre
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
SaMatra wrote:

1) You are right that it happens on the Otherworld deck. I think it's because I'm impatient whistle and start pressing keys when there's not an immediate action. I've found that there is a delay of a few seconds when entering the OW deck for the first time - perhaps the shuffling of so many cards takes a while. If I'm patient there's no problem.

Shiny. I just published a new version that speeds up otherworld shuffling. (should be like 10x faster) It should show up in the play store soon. (Or if you installed from dropbox it is already there.)
Let me know if it still seems slow and/or there are other places of the app that are slow for you.

SaMatra wrote:

2) I've been verifying card counts - everything check out! . I like the idea that one can start a new game and select one of the expansions without selecting the base game - so one can see what cards are added with each expansion. However, for some reason the "The Stars Are Right" card appears when this is done. This should not be here as it's part of the base deck. It's not a big deal I guess but something to consider.

Thanks for verifying the card counts! I'm always concerned that I missed something. Especially since my brain was pretty numb by the end of all the data entry.

I specifically put "The Stars Are Right" into the Otherworld deck no matter what since, to me, it is a mechanic of the deck and not just a card from the base set. I may be wrong but it shouldn't be too hard to ignore whereas if I take it out people that want it wouldn't be able to easily. I'll add it to the list of things to add to an advanced options menu though.

SaMatra wrote:

3) I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of the lights are in the OW panel. I DO like the idea that selecting an OW automatically screens cards of that colour.

Manually select the colors if you want to. And, most importantly, give you a way to add green into any combination for Mr. Culver.

SaMatra wrote:

4) I like the History button as well. Agree that an icon would be helpful.

Yeah... Need to get that sorted out. And get the colors for all the expansion neighborhoods.

SaMatra wrote:

Re: King in Yellow Touring Performance.

Yeah, I didn't come across the rules for that until I was trying to wrap things up for a release. It is definitely possible but I wanted to get it out to people.
Good to know that there is interest though!

Thanks for the feedback! Glad you are liking it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Running fine on my Nexus 4.

Keep up the great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

A very nice app.

I have a couple of questions:

1) It looks like the dual color "fight an ancient one" cards do not appear ever. Are they included in the cards of "Curse of the Dark Pharaoh Revised" set in this app?

I saw them quite soon if I used the original "Curse of the Dark Pharaoh" set in the app - but they are also present in the physical Revised edition, and it looks to me like they might not be present in the app for the Revised edition.

2) How can one ignore the Stars are Right card to continue going through the cards instead of a reshuffle? (Related to the above question - I went through the Curse of the Dark Pharaoh Revised cards for a long while, trying to see if the dual color cards are there - with extreme bad luck it could be possible they were always below the stars are right card..)

3) I noticed this is GPL licensed - excellent! Where could I find the source code?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenyx FitzUre
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
1) Holy Nodens! You are right. I had to add them special when I was doing Dark Pharaoh and I must've overlooked it when I was putting in the revised!

I'm going to start working on fixing that asap. I'm really sorry.

2) In any deck you can swipe to look at the next card. You can go through the entire deck this way skipping over anything (including Stars Are Right.) This helps keep the History (Hx) from getting clogged up with stuff you didn't actually encounter and, most importantly, provides support for "Draw X cards and choose 1".

3) On github as soon as I can find the time to figure out how to get my code up there. I'm intimately familiar with subversion but have never used git to speak of and I'm having problems with the svn2git conversion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenyx4 wrote:
3) On github as soon as I can find the time to figure out how to get my code up there. I'm intimately familiar with subversion but have never used git to speak of and I'm having problems with the svn2git conversion.

I don't want to start an SCM discussion here, but maybe you want to try Mercurial instead. The command set is similar to SVN, you can host your projects on bitbucket (or some other places) and I could help you with the conversion from SVN to Mercurial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
foksieloy
Croatia
flag msg tools
You need kulen.
badge
How can you have any pudding?
mbmbmbmbmb
< svn proselitization >
SVN is for Gods, and you are all heathens for not using it!
< / svn proselitization >
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenyx FitzUre
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Uh oh. What have I started?

New version with multi-colored cards in CotDP Revised is up on Dropbox and Google Play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenyx4 wrote:
Uh oh. What have I started? :)

New version with multi-colored cards in CotDP Revised is up on Dropbox and Google Play.

Seems to be working, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becky B
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've used this app a few times now, and I have to say that I really like it. I don't have a lot of space to play in my apartment, and eliminating these cards does wonders for space maximization. Love it. Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William L
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am having a problem seeing all the text on location cards. If there is a lot of taxes in the card, then the bottom location will not allow me to see all of the text. I have tried everything I can think of to scroll the text, but that doesn't seem to work.

Am I missing something or does it not work on some phones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenyx FitzUre
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hrm, thanks William that is concerning.

What phone do you have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William L
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the LG Motion 4G. It's a smart phone though maybe not smart enough

I hope a future update allows me to use this, because from what I have seen, it's a fantastic app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.