BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: is anyone getting rich designing these games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Rylander
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Tom Lehmann? Uwe Rosenberg? Klaus Teuber? Does anyone have any indication that this is a lucrative business for the guys at the top?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knizia might be doing okay. That's probably it. Looks like game designers live like artists. Starving ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe not in design, but I suspect people like Aldie and Vasel are doing pretty well for themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Steph
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I would bet that Mr. Richard Garfield is doing all right...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Teuber's probably doing pretty well too with the success of Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Rylander
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
do we have any data?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Steph
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Well I was brought up too polite to ask about someone's income, but I suppose someone somewhere asked them. Frankly I would however be quite surprised if they were willing to have it posted all over the internet.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Madsen
United States
Kearns
Utah
flag msg tools
Trains!
badge
Houseplant?
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
According to Wikipedia, over 750,000 copies of Ticket to Ride had been sold as of 2008. I'd guess Alan Moon is doing pretty well from that... Probably somewhere around $2 per copy as a wild guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Probably somewhere around $2 per copy as a wild guess.

For later copies and editions, that might be possible due to the guaranteed success of the line.

For the first few thousand, that's high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Knizia still has a day job as a professor, doesn't he? I don't think anybody's getting rich, although a few may be paying their bills on time.

A number of my friends and relatives have urged me (or planned themselves) to get in on this perceived gravy train ever since Trivial Pursuit came out. (My stepmother thought I should be able to make a fine living as a playtester/design consultant.)

I never stop laughing. I know a lot of game designers. A few of them actually make rent -- while they have full-time jobs at game companies. Until the next layoff, anyway. I can't tell you how many ex-employees of WotC/Hasbro I know.

Heck, I laugh when people talk about the Big Money Publishers like they're some mega-corporation, I get the giggles. Hasbro's pretty big, yeah, but Rio Grande is Jay. Maybe someone to answer the phones. Z-Man has backing now, but it's still Zev. Stronghold's a two-man op. Don't expect to see them sponsoring college bowl games any time soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carmilla wrote:
Knizia still has a day job as a professor, doesn't he? I don't think anybody's getting rich, although a few may be paying their bills on time.

I was going to post that you can tell how many of them are getting rich off game design by how many of them have other (main) jobs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC there once was an ad about Catan saying "50 million sold copies" (I assume they added the base game and expansions and spin-offs together).

So, assuming that you get one or two dollars a game, you can do the math meeple

But in the end, I guess it's only a couple of designers who would be able to make a living out of board game design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarjei Aasen
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be great to have a game published and considered buying a book on game design, but I'm worried that the cost would eat all the profits I'd make from the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few years back, I recall reading there are 10-15 gamedesigners worldwide who make a living as a gamedesigner. That'll probably include Knizia, Teuber, Garfield, Kramer and Moon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Designing? No. Selling? Yes!

Now if you'll excuse me I need to find a couple more games to get my free shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there go all my plans... cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DSteph wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fsb/fsb_archive/2004/10/01/81...

$125 million is not bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teuber definitely got rich from it. He actually saved his (former) daytime job with the money from game designing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJL
United States
Silver Spring
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For big franchises like Catan, TTR, Carcassone, etc., you can't assume that the designer necessarily gets a piece of the action for every expansion, every retheme, etc (maybe they do, but maybe not). And even for "regular" games, you can't necessarily assume that the designer gets a cut of anything beyond the first printing. Some may, and the big names are more likely to, but probably most don't.

Generally, the publisher will own the rights to the IP so even if the publisher wants to cut out the original designer either financially or even from designing the expansion, often they can do that. But my guess is they usually don't screw the designer because he/she just made a successful game that's making the publisher money, hopefully with others to come.

Sounds like Garfield was an exception because he published Magic himself, so he was a publisher, too. And then he basically sold his company to WotC for a huge stake in WotC, so his money doesn't really come from Magic sales directly -- it comes from his smart business dealings as a business owner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carmilla wrote:
Knizia still has a day job as a professor, doesn't he?

No. He's a full time game designer. And when he had a job it was in finance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JJL_WashDC wrote:
Generally, the publisher will own the rights to the IP so even if the publisher wants to cut out the original designer either financially or even from designing the expansion, often they can do that.

Do you have any evidence for that assertion? I've heard of the opposite (a designer paid for an expansion he didn't design) but not what you describe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Nimmo
South Africa
flag msg tools
My ambition is that my game SpyMaster, when it is published, will pay for a family trip to a game convention in the States.

Is this beyond hope?shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarratt Davis
Australia
Adelaide
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always thought it was like art: for the love rather than the money. Mind you in the case of a particular artist (painter) ancestor of mine, it was also for money as he gave paintings away to pay off his debts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Woods
Australia
Cygnet
Tasmania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
DSteph wrote:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fsb/fsb_archive/2004/10/01/81...

$125 million is not bad.

I think Garfield's in a league of his own there though...

Tangent: Does anyone know if the Magic distribution model was a part of Garfield's original Mana-clash pitch, or whether it was Wizards who came up with that?

edit: Typo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.