Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall seeing a past post where people argued that, in a 4-player setup, the diagonal players had too hard a time reaching each other. Has anyone tried an option/variant to allow diagonal moves in the center four hexes and only in those hexes? This would effectively make each nation equidistant, i.e. 8 squares, from each other and greatly shorten the distance between the opposing corner nations. I realize there may still be small distance differences to the capitals, but it would nearly eliminate any significant difference. Can you think of any difficulties this would cause with other rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the PBFs had an alternative map where the diagonals are closer to each other. You might want to check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin B
United States
flag msg tools
Stats not guaranteed accurate. May be made up entirely.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
One of the PBFs had an alternative map where the diagonals are closer to each other. You might want to check it out.

Was it something like this?

O X O O
O O O X
X O O O
O O X O
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mercuric wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:

O X O O
O O O X
X O O O
O O X O

Exactly. I liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mercuric wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:

O X O O
O O O X
X O O O
O O X O

That's interesting, but also each player is a lot closer to every other player and their cities, and those on opposite sides of the board are still farther away from each other than they are from their adjacent neighbors. I would imagine this leads to a more confrontational game; not sure if this is bad or good. It kind of depends on the players' tastes.

I would still like some opinions on leaving the setup as designed, but allowing diagonal moves in the center hexes. To me, this is the best of both worlds - it keeps the original setup and makes everyone (fairly) equidistant from each other. But does it raise issues with other rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hgcoleman wrote:
Mercuric wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:

O X O O
O O O X
X O O O
O O X O

That's interesting, but also each player is a lot closer to every other player and their cities, and those on opposite sides of the board are still farther away from each other than they are from their adjacent neighbors. I would imagine this leads to a more confrontational game; not sure if this is bad or good. It kind of depends on the players' tastes.

I would still like some opinions on leaving the setup as designed, but allowing diagonal moves in the center hexes. To me, this is the best of both worlds - it keeps the original setup and makes everyone (fairly) equidistant from each other. But does it raise issues with other rules?

Not really, The distance between each of the X and its neighbours is two Os. So it's the same distance as before. The distance with the opposite is three Os, which is less than the four Os in the default map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nachof wrote:
Not really, The distance between each of the X and its neighbours is two Os. So it's the same distance as before. The distance with the opposite is three Os, which is less than the four Os in the default map.

Isn't the distance more like an O and a half?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IirionClaus wrote:
nachof wrote:

It looks to me like you can get from your capital square to an adjacent opponents in as few as 6 spaces (nearest corner to nearest corner), but going to the opposite opponent takes 10 spaces. This setup shortens the distance between opposing nations, but also between adjacent ones. Hence, my comment about more conflict in a game with this setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hgcoleman wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:
nachof wrote:

It looks to me like you can get from your capital square to an adjacent opponents in as few as 6 spaces (nearest corner to nearest corner), but going to the opposite opponent takes 10 spaces. This setup shortens the distance between opposing nations, but also between adjacent ones. Hence, my comment about more conflict in a game with this setup.

Well, that depends on where exactly each player puts his capital.

With X00X the max distance is 13 squares, min distance is 10 squares (I'm assuming nobody will put the capital in the outer rim of the starting region).

With X00/X (how else can I put that in a single line?) max distance is also 13 squares and min distance is now 9 squares. So yeah, it's slightly closer, but I don't really think it makes much of a difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nachof wrote:
hgcoleman wrote:
IirionClaus wrote:
nachof wrote:

Well, that depends on where exactly each player puts his capital.

With X00X the max distance is 13 squares, min distance is 10 squares (I'm assuming nobody will put the capital in the outer rim of the starting region).

With X00/X (how else can I put that in a single line?) max distance is also 13 squares and min distance is now 9 squares. So yeah, it's slightly closer, but I don't really think it makes much of a difference.

Putting your capital in the outer rim is illegal.

I agree, it does depend on where the starting capitals are located. I was not looking at capital-to-capital spacing, but rather has many squares it could take for a unit to be in the other player's city limits. For example, the minimum is 9 (could be as many as 11) for a Scout in the standard setup:

0000 0000 0000 0000
0XXX 0000 0000 XXX0
0XCX 0000 0000 XCX0
0XXS 1234 5678 9XX0

But in the proposed setup, it is only 6 (could be as many as 10):

0000 0000
0000 XXX0
0000 XCX0
0001 SXX0

0XX6
0XCX
0XXX

So my point is shorter distances, whatever the number of squares, leads to potentially more conflict, not necessarily combat, but also blockading. I'm not saying this is bad, just different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.