Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not Goa, because it's not available.

Needs to be good for 2 players.

What I like about Homesteaders:

- The freedom the debt gives you. You're not constrained by the resources you have.

- The gambling/risk element of going into debt or using most/all your cash just to secure a win on an auction to get a building.

- Buying and selling of goods. I like that a lot of the stuff you have at the end can be converted to points instead of having a pile of useless stuff leftover. I like scrambling for as many points as possible in a close game.

- I like set collection though admittedly this plays a minor role in Homesteaders.

I'm not looking for something really similar to Homesteaders (I already have it so I don't need another one whistle). But I feel it offers something that none of my other games do so it's really important in my collection and I'd like one or two more that have the same kind of feel and play but are different enough and good enough to justify owning them too.

On this site the mechanics are just listed as "auction/bidding" which narrows things down but still leaves things wide open so I'm asking you great people to help me out to narrow down my choices to one or two thumbsup

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't Goa just get reprinted?

A few other games that vaguely remind me of Homesteaders:
Keyflower
Peloponnes
Cuba?
Fleet?

For games that play well with 2-4 in 60-90 minutes (but don't necessarily have similar mechanics to Homesteaders), some of my other favorites are:
Trajan
Macao
Endeavor
Snowdonia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Didn't Goa just get reprinted?

Not in the UK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love Homesteaders. I like games where you collect buildings (Rivals for Catan is another one I enjoy)

A game that's struck me as fairly similar to Homesteaders is Le Havre. I've seen comparisons, look into it!

I also just played Homesteaders with a couple experienced gamers last week (though it was their first game). They said it felt a lot like.... Cyclades. The bidding was intense, though, and it is a similar auction mechanic

Also, yeah, Goa is reprinted! Have you looked at The Princes of Florence?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
I love Homesteaders. I like games where you collect buildings (Rivals for Catan is another one I enjoy)

A game that's struck me as fairly similar to Homesteaders is Le Havre. I've seen comparisons, look into it!

I also just played Homesteaders with a couple experienced gamers last week (though it was their first game). They said it felt a lot like.... Cyclades. The bidding was intense, though, and it is a similar auction mechanic

Along those same lines, Ora et Labora vaguely reminds me of Homesteaders as well (and is VERY similar to Le Havre). Homesteaders is much quicker though...

(I'm not a fan of Cyclades, but I guess I can see some overlap)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:

I've only played Rivals once but I wasn't that keen. It was ok.

Moe45673 wrote:

How constrained are you with resources in Le Havre? On a scale of not constrained to Agricola.

Moe45673 wrote:
Also, yeah, Goa is reprinted! Have you looked at The Princes of Florence?

According to the votes on here, it's not good with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2nd vote for Le Havre. The reason is that you like the debt in Homesteaders. In Le Havre it's similar, where it's a legit choice to take on some debt to get what you want now and not completely lose like in say Agricola. The buildings and resource conversion are different for sure but similar in feel. Also, Le Havre is awesome with 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot. I'm going to look into Le Havre more. I did before and I read a review that basically said there is so little interaction that you might as well send your friend home, get them to play it on their own and then compare scores at the end That put me off.

To be honest I thought I was going to get more recommendations like Ra, so Le Havre is a surprise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TK Number 3
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Amun-Re has a similar bidding mechanic, but not the worker placement side. It does have an interesting method of investing in the sites you won at auction just to lose them halfway through the game, then buying new sites that others have spent money on in the first half. It leads to a nice flow in the two sections of the game, and the importance of valuation for bidding.

Edit - just re-read your post and realized I forgot the 2p aspect, this is better with more players, but you could argue most auction games are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In your OP, the things you said you love about Homesteaders were things other than the auction. So although there are other games that have similar auctions (like Vegas Showdown, which plays well with 2), their "back ends" are so different that I'm not sure you would find them similar. I believe Amun-Re, The Princes of Florence, and maybe Evo are others with similar auction formats.

But I think that's why you're not hearing a lot about other auction games. You seem more interested in the resource manipulation.

Unfortunately, nothing jumps to mind as a good recommendation for you. Hopefully some of the suggestions by others will be good hits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For, ok, I'll take on more debt ... Steam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jane
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
In your OP, the things you said you love about Homesteaders were things other than the auction. So although there are other games that have similar auctions (like Vegas Showdown, which plays well with 2), their "back ends" are so different that I'm not sure you would find them similar. I believe Amun-Re, The Princes of Florence, and maybe Evo are others with similar auction formats.

But I think that's why you're not hearing a lot about other auction games. You seem more interested in the resource manipulation.

Unfortunately, nothing jumps to mind as a good recommendation for you. Hopefully some of the suggestions by others will be good hits.

True. I feel the auction part of Homesteaders is pretty minor in the game so it's a bit weird that "auction/bidding" is listed as the only mechanic.

lacreighton wrote:
For, ok, I'll take on more debt ... Steam

For 2 players though? The majority of voters on here say it's not recommended for 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this is pretty deep in the thread for Glen More to come up. I am not sure I agree, but they get compared a lot.

I concur with the Le Havre comparison. I actually prefer homesteaders as its shorter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it really that hard to get a copy of GOA?
It's an amazing game which plays very well with two.

I don#t think that there#s any in-game text. So just download the rules here and play with a german version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.