Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please post your ideas for the Gold Field Wonder--The Glorious Colonnade--in this thread. You can find it in the downloadable pack. Let the games begin!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mjw6288 mjw6288
msg tools
No one seems to have any ideas? Well, Scot, I know you have given it some thought. What do you suggest is used for the Glorious Colonnade?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the whole point of this is that I used all of my best ideas for the other 8 Wonders. I couldn't think of anything good to do for this.

My best idea was to make this a dice-roll wonder. You pay one random resource to roll the dice. If you get a 2-4, you get stage I. 5-6 nets you stage II. 8-9=Stage III, 10-12=Stage IV (victory points). I didn't have any abilities along the way, though I thought about having stage III be the "aquaduct" from Cities & Knights, where if you don't receive a resource from a dice roll, you can take one of your choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't had time to create v3 yet, I recently found it and school will have me pretty busy for a while. I have played v1 several times though. It's a great addition to the game. You obviously put a lot of effort into it!

We normally play with 5-8 people. Since Wonders is really built for 4 I was going to add both colonnades and require that they are built on different gold hexes - or volcano hexes. I doctored the colonnades as shown. (Side note: image editing is not by strong suit.)
Stage I: Sheep, Brick, & Wood, 1 VP
Stage II: 4 of any 1 type, 1 VP
Stage III: 1 of each resource, 1 VP
Stage IV: 1 of each resource, 5 VP

Admittedly this is a boring combo but I didn't want to create a new superpower on gold without playing the game through first.

While I'm here, I will include some thoughts though. Not sure how these will play.

The Glorious Colonnade
Requires a City on a Gold Hex:
Stage I: 4 of any single resource, 1 VP
Stage II: 4 of any single resource, Exile Ability
Stage III: 4 of any single resource, 2 VP
Stage IV: 5 of any single, Midas Touch Ability

The Mysterious Alter
Requires a City on a Volcano Hex:
Stage I: 2 Grain & 2 Ore, Appeasement Ability
Stage II: 4 of any 1 type, 2 VP
Stage III: 1 Sheep & 4 Ore, Sacrifice Ability
Stage IV: 1 of each resource, 4 VP

The Shining Tower
Requires a City on an Oil Well:
Stage I: 2 Oil Barrels, Drilling Rights Ability
Stage II: 2 Oil Barrels, 1 VP
Stage III: 3 Oil Barrels, Deregulation Ability
Stage IV: 4 Oil Barrels, 4 VP

The Magnificent Fleet
Requires a City on a Lake Hex:
Stage I: 2 Sheep & 2 Wood, Fresh Bait Ability
Stage II: 3 Wheat & 2 Fish, Shark Ability
Stage III: 7 Fish, Fish Market Ability
Stage IV: 1 of each resource & 2 Fish, 4 VP

New Abilities:
Exile: If you rolled a '7' for production this turn you may choose remove all special characters from the board (robber, pirate, merchant, wizard, inquisitor, etc.)
Midas Touch: +2 VP for each Gold hex you have built on
Appeasement Ability: You may choose to discard 2 resources from your hand to keep the volcano from erupting. This may be done before or after the die is rolled for the volcano corner.
Sacrifice Ability: Once per turn you may roll a die. If the result is a '6', you may remove one special character from the board.
Drilling Rights: You collect Oil before any other players. Then collection proceeds as normal.
Deregulation: You may continue to trade in Oil Tokens after the track has reached 6. (May be necessary to finish the Wonder!)
Fresh Bait: If you draw the Boot you may draw another Fish Tile and shuffle the Boot back into the pile. (You may still receive the Boot from another player.)
Shark: You may block Fishing Tiles with the Robber
Fish Market: Each purchase costs you one less Fish Tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll be limiting myself to the Glorious Colonnade, but I could easily give you the templates if you wanted to create more. My wife always jokes that I am never "done" with a project, and after 2.5 years, I'm pretty ready to prove her wrong.

Thoughts: First, why not just play with two sets of the Wonders of Catan? I balanced it for 3-4 players, but you could have duplicates of all of the Wonders with no real issue.

Second, I didn't take Fish into account with the Wonders. I like the idea of the Corsair being able to block either fish or a harbor. I don't think a new Wonder is necessary for it.

Third, I like some of the ideas for the Volcano hex, especially since it will be in the next expansion. I believe Jungles will be too. What if you were to find a picture of the Baths of Pompeii for that? For the jungles... I'd be willing to hear some ideas. Chichen Itza immediately comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think you've done an awesome job as is. These were really ideas to get feedback. Sorry for not sticking with the Wonder theme in naming them. If you're willing to share the templates I'd be happy to play with them. I may not have time until the semester is over though.

We thought about two sets but two players with a Lighthouse or one person with two Temples isn't attractive. I have thought about using both A & B though.

I put the Lake because it's my sister's favorite hex. We normally let the Pirate block Fish but the Robber is a more popular piece to move. She's the only one who'd build it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
I don't own any of the official expansions, so I went with something that can be used with the base game alone.

The Glorious Colonnade
Requires two Cities on any Hex.
Stage I: Sheep, Ore, Grain: Progress
Stage II: 2 Brick, 2 Wood: 2 VP
Stage III: 1 Ore, 2 Grain: Architecture
Stage IV: 3 Ore, 2 Brick: 4 VP

Progress: 1/turn you pay 1 fewer resource (of your choice) when buying a development card.
Architecture: 1/turn you pay one fewer resource (of your choice) when buying a city or a settlement.

The Glorious Colonnade – Built of marble and gold, this colonnade stands as a testament to civilization and progress. Supplies of clay and wood are needed to raise the scaffolding necessary to erect the columns, while the master builder requires food and coin for his services.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooo. I really like this. I may go with this, but make two versions... one for the Gold hex and one for two cities. Combined with the salvage ability, this could be incredible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
BleuVII wrote:
Oooo. I really like this. I may go with this, but make two versions... one for the Gold hex and one for two cities. Combined with the salvage ability, this could be incredible!

Thanks! And thanks for the quick replies to my rules questions Now to determine how best to print-and-play this sweet-looking expansion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Raithyn and Galen,

I really like some of the ideas you both have come up with. I would like to take some of your ideas to make 3-5 more "official" Wonders for V4 of Catan: World Wonders. I'm looking for some feedback, and for some eventual test playing.

The Glorious Colonnade (Solomon's Temple) - City on a Gold Hex. Taking Galen's idea for having stages give you discounts on things that you build. My thought is that anyone with a city on a gold hex can "donate" their 2 gold that they got from production to roll the die for a blessing. The blessing will be a once-per-turn one-resource discount on certain buildings. Here are the stages:
6,8: discount on development cards
3,4,5: discount on settlements
9,10,11: discount on cities
2,12: discount on wonders
* Note: If you roll the same blessing twice, you just lose your 2 gold.

The Grand Colosseum (The Colosseum of Rome) - Two cities on any one hex.
(note: these abilities are adaptations of Raithyn's 5-8 player wonders)
Stage 1: Move the robber off the board on a roll of 6,7,8
Stage 2: 2 VP
Stage 3: Replace any resources the robber stole from you from the bank.
Stage 4: 4 VP

The City Acropolis (The Acropolis of Athens) - A city on two identical hexes. The two identical hexes are "A". The third hex is "B".
Stage 1: Trade 2A for 1B.
Stage 2: 1 VP
Stage 3: When buying development cards, draw 2 and keep 1 (Raithyn's idea)
Stage 4: 3 VP. This will make this the first 4VP wonder. The ease of building it and the benefits make up for that.

The Waterside Palace (Sennacherib's Palace) - A city on a fish chevron.
This wonder is unique in that you must pay for it with exact fish chits.
Stage 1: (Cost=1,1,2) robber can block fish chevrons
Stage 2: (Cost=1,1,3) fish chit hand limit increased by 2.
Stage 3: (Cost=1,2,3) -1 on all fish purchases (does not apply to this wonder)
Stage 4: (Cost=1,1,2,3) 4 VP

The Graven City (Petra) - A city on the central hex.
Stage 1: NEED IDEAS. You may take Longest Road, Largest Army, or Harbormaster when you tie the other player??? Thoughts???
Stage 2: 2 VP
Stage 3: NEED IDEAS. You may trade resources from this hex at a 2:1 rate??? Thoughts?
Stage 4: 3 VP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shoot. I just realized that there IS no central hex in the 5-6 player game. Maybe that wonder will just have to go.

EDIT: Hmmm..... MAYBE though, I could combine The Graven City and The Waterside Palace. It's not hard to have a city on a fish chevron; 3/4 of all oceanside places are on one chevron or another. What if made it so that you had to build at least 3 spaces inland, but had to pay for it with fish? This would require you to have an inland city, but coastal settlements. In a 3-4 player game, that would force you to use the central hex. In a 5-6 player game, that would be one of four central hexes. It would not be usable with Seafarers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Baumgartner
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BleuVII wrote:
Shoot. I just realized that there IS no central hex in the 5-6 player game. Maybe that wonder will just have to go.

Instead of one central hex, you get a central edge and 4 adjacent intersections, to a total of six places where you could place that city. A bit harder to explain (though easily with some graphics), same effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raithyn
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You could use all four of the central hexes. A graphic could make that fairly clear even if the rule wording is awkward.

Thinking about Petra Level 3, you have a lot of trade advantage in the game already. What if players who trade at a 3:1 rate have to give one of the cards to the Petra player instead of the bank? That would play off Petra's role in the trade routes and keep people thinking about trading with each other (mainly not Petra). Feel free to use any of the abilities I previously came up with if you like them.

Also, I would love to playtest but I'm not sure how much I can actually do during the semester. Grad school has a way of draining all my time. (Otherwise I'd have already revised the set I posted. The file template needs to be updated now that I know what I'm doing in Gimp and a few of the powers just don't work well unless you have the perfect combination.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Eaton
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. The desire to do Petra for me is simple: I'm redoing the Style B graphics to take all of the art from Monuments: Wonders of Antiquity, since I've never really liked the B-style art, and the artist of Monuments has worked on Catan previously. With the addition of the first 3 wonders, I will have used all of the art except Petra. Plus, Miguel Coimbra has art for Petra for the A-side.

However, I would be comfortable going a different route and making Petra the "fisherman" wonder. You would be FORCED to build it inland, but you would have to pay for all of the stages with fish. I would take the abilities of the waterside palace.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quincy Thompson
msg tools
I know I am late to the party here but I just discovered your work and was curious to see if you ever finished this.

I have been working on my own expansion based off the wonders scenario too since 2010, and have done many similar things to what you have done. This has inspired me to finish mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.