Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam with five players is tough. With players new to the game, it is very tough for them, but at least they're unlikely to be eliminated. It's a lot more likely if none of them are Josh, which was true in this instance.

Instead we had Jesse (cream), Reece (orange), Sarah (white), Rich (black) and myself (green) participating in this game. Jesse and Reece were new to the game, whilst Sarah, Rich and I have played it a few times before.

I misplayed this game horribly. I mean, I didn't play terribly (I still ended up coming second), but I was completely oblivious to what Jesse was doing. Here I was, happily getting ready to do some big six-link deliveries of red goods (from the top-right city), whilst what is Jesse doing? He's happily building his track so he can make some four-link deliveries to the closest city. By the time my track and engine were ready, the extra red goods I placed there were gone. Yeah, that's not paying attention.

Rich got caught in a battle with Sarah for goods, which is never a good place to be. Sarah had the best of the early track-building, and Rich wedged himself somewhat. He was able to get some good deliveries on a couple of occasions, but Sarah tended to be just there before him.

Jesse and Reece had excellent early games, but faded in the late play. Jesse ran out of goods, and Reece had a lot of track that wasn't quite as effective as he would have liked. He took a long time to get his railroad into profitability - even longer than me - and it hurt his score.

A major issue for us in this game was just the availability of new goods: the available lots weren't very compelling. Sarah had the best of the late deliveries, the rest of us just muddled along.

Final Scores
Sarah 44, Merric 35, Rich 31, Jesse 31, Reece 23
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
You listed both Sarah and Jesse as playing white, but I beat it was Sarah who was playing white since it's the best position in the board.

Note that White is the only player that has loops, all the others built with branches that make it hard to make shipments. You (Green) should have bitten the bullet and made one near the grey cities, I'm sure it would have helped a lot.

Just my two cents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.