Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Remember to support your friendly local game store... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
While it exists:

http://www.dorktower.com/2012/11/28/7765/
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Yeah yeah yeah. Heard it all before. There are plenty of perfectly valid reasons for not "supporting" a local shop, as have been detailed here almost as endlessly as the pleas to support them.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the demise of the local gaming store will go hand in hand with the demise of most other locally-owned stores. With time we will have little but big box stores and the webs to buy everything.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to support my FLGS, even if there is a small hit on the price.

But if we're talking £15+ on a game, then I'll order online without issue.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Amyrin wrote:
I think the demise of the local gaming store will go hand in hand with the demise of most other locally-owned stores. With time we will have little but big box stores and the webs to buy everything.


And what a sad world that will be. That's why I try to support the local stores I like.

Perhaps I'm lucky living in a country with a great chain of gaming stores (http://www.fantasiapelit.com/), a great publisher/game store (http://www.lautapelit.fi/) and other great game stores (like http://www.poromagia.com/). And due to shipping costs it's not always cheaper to buy online (from outside Finland, those stores listed above have both online sales and storefronts). So perhaps I'm a bit blind to the issues. But when it comes to books and movies, then I have no problems with buying mostly online. For music we have a great local record shop that I try to support when possible. Gaming stores a bit different though, since a lot of them provide gaming space and when it comes to Magic, act as a tournament organizer. Without a local store the gaming scene would probably wither away.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:
But when it comes to books and movies, then I have no problems with buying mostly online.

If you're worried about a sad world without locally-owned stores, wouldn't it be better to buy your books locally, too?

I'll make you a deal: I'll pick up a game at my FLGS this week if you buy a book at your local bookstore. Sound fair?

(All right, I buy my games at my quite excellent FLGS anyway. But that'Äs beside the point...)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Björklund
Finland
flag msg tools
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
badge
Overtext?! We don't need no stinking overtext! Oh wait...
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
JockiB wrote:
But when it comes to books and movies, then I have no problems with buying mostly online.

If you're worried about a sad world without locally-owned stores, wouldn't it be better to buy your books locally, too?

I'll make you a deal: I'll pick up a game at my FLGS this week if you buy a book at your local bookstore. Sound fair?


I do buy books there, but not every book. But it mostly comes down to what's available. And it isn't a small locally-owned store anyway. When visiting our parents last summer we bought some hardcover books in the local bookstore. We could probably have bought them cheaper online.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I agree - I do like walking into my FLGS and seeing all the games on the shelf and checking them out. I'd happily take a small hit but a substantial increase makes me want to go online.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What is a local game store?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JockiB wrote:
Amyrin wrote:
I think the demise of the local gaming store will go hand in hand with the demise of most other locally-owned stores. With time we will have little but big box stores and the webs to buy everything.


And what a sad world that will be. That's why I try to support the local stores I like.

Perhaps I'm lucky living in a country with a great chain of gaming stores (http://www.fantasiapelit.com/), a great publisher/game store (http://www.lautapelit.fi/) and other great game stores (like http://www.poromagia.com/). And due to shipping costs it's not always cheaper to buy online (from outside Finland, those stores listed above have both online sales and storefronts). So perhaps I'm a bit blind to the issues. But when it comes to books and movies, then I have no problems with buying mostly online. For music we have a great local record shop that I try to support when possible. Gaming stores a bit different though, since a lot of them provide gaming space and when it comes to Magic, act as a tournament organizer. Without a local store the gaming scene would probably wither away.


(Bold added)

Interestingly enough, this is the part that I think has the most negative impact on local stores. Most gamers I know will refuse to meet in the local game stores that provide gaming space because the area is usually overrun with MtG/YuGiOh/Pokeman players. Many don't like the crowds of younger kids that this attracts, and the noise they generate. I've heard a few say they feel awkward playing in a room with a bunch of kids.

Most game stores now only survive because of Magic, or at least primarily because of it. They can't be blamed for supporting those people that support them, but most non CCG gamers in my area no longer use the open gaming areas of any of our local stores.

Personally I like to support local business but the local game stores here provide me no benefit at all. We do all our gaming in each other's homes or in public places like restaurants and pubs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a store where you go to buy games... locally...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All I need is a reason why I should. One real reason.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganybyte wrote:
All I need is a reason why I should. One real reason.


That's easy. There are several "real" reasons. Not everyone has their own gaming group which is always available every time you want to play. But a local gaming store can provide that. Secondly, many stores offer chances to try games before you buy. You try, you don't like it, you have saved the purchase price. You try it and you do like it, you can take it home right then.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tory G
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love my FLGS, Boardgame Revolution. They offer online prices in-store, so I get the best of both worlds. The in-store prices are usually slightly higher than their website, but loads lower than MSRP that the other FLGS's charge.

I'm happy to go into their store any time I can. Rarely do I pay more than what I would have paid online after shipping.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Ganybyte wrote:
All I need is a reason why I should. One real reason.


That's easy. There are several "real" reasons. Not everyone has their own gaming group which is always available every time you want to play. But a local gaming store can provide that. Secondly, many stores offer chances to try games before you buy. You try, you don't like it, you have saved the purchase price. You try it and you do like it, you can take it home right then.


Im just saying not all local game stores are friendly. If I didn't travel I would think they are a myth is all I'm saying.

I promise the next time I'm I'm a store that does any of that, I will walk out with a newly purchased probably-full priced game.

Here I am used to surly customer service and the only game they'll open to play (for a price) is, of course, MTG.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Cortez
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The fabled friendly local game store. The "local" game store is 25 miles away, not far for something I love; but not local by my definition. It is not friendly either.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dillenbeck
United States
Deerfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganybyte wrote:
All I need is a reason why I should. One real reason.

One reason for supporting your local game store? Economically - the multiplier effect. Spending money at your local businesses (which also implies they are owned locally) keeps the money circulating in your community and increases your regions affluence. When you buy online at some distant company - say, on Amazon - more dollars are siphoned out of the local economy and thus less cash gets "cycled" about.

However, I get it - spending an extra $3-10 USD per game at a local store can feel like a waste of money. Would you rather get 3 boxed games or 4 boxed games with the same dollars spent? For many, they'd rather get more product for the same dollar - self interest and all, which isn't necessarily bad.

Want one reason why not to buy your stuff online through a mega-retailer like Amazon? Dynamic pricing. More and more companies are looking into this. The basic philosophy is not to match a consumer with the lowest price available on your site but with the highest price on your site that the customer is willing to pay. Maybe they know you own all but 1 expansion for a game - so maybe they'll suggest the one at cost rather than the one 20% off because they know you're more willing to pay it. My FLGS has cost increases also, but I know they don't go "oh, hey, that's the last expansion you need so I'm going to charge you a little more for it..."
1 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.