Winter» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Winter - great expansion but a bit overpriced rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael None
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So here it is, first real expansion for 51st/New Era. It is not a standalone game - you must merge it with a base game.

First of all components. In Poland winter (I mean this expansion) costs about 20$. It is more or less the same price as for 51 state. There is not much in the box for it. Components quality are worse than in the base games. You have description in 3 languages on the card, it looks cheap.Faction cards, including Texas are much worse than those from the base set. The worst is the "FROZEN CITY gameboard" - we had such a game boards in Poland made of paper in the 80's, early 90's. But those games were for 2$ not 20$. Be prepared to go with your Frozen City so called board to a xerocopy point in order to laminate it, just like I did.
Box is the same as in base games (because of the board). The only thing that I liked are arts on cards and a fancy dice.

Now the good part. Frozen City mechanism works great. I mean it, it helps in everything. You get more cards, leaders are not random, workers have always sth to do. Dice bonuses (every turn sth different for both players) work well, they are all useful. Texas faction is great when playing Winter. Additional worker has plenty of "job opportunities' and cards to take.

So, to sum up - expansion is really worth it. Components are overpriced, but not from today we know that game publishers want to earn more on expansions than base games. I do not know, but I do not think that 20$ is a lot for a boardgamer (especially abroad) and this 20$ spend on winter (if you have and like 51st/NE) will definitely improve your gaming experience. but if you do not like 51st/NE there is no way you will like it with winter. it gets longer and more complicated with the expansion. You get much more options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignacy Trzewiczek
Poland
Gliwice
Slask
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for review.

I'd like to make two short correction:

1.Board for Frozen city is the same quality like in Castles of Burgundy, great game published in ALEA series. It works well in Stefan Feld's game. It works well in winter too.

2. Price for Winter is - depending on store - about 20% lower than price for base game, while components are in the same amount (box, cards, faction cards, tokens, big custom dice, board).

I just want to make it very clear - perhaps publishers want to earn more on expansions, but in this particular case, we earn MUCH LESS on single copy of Winter than on single copy of base game. Cost of production of Winter is higher than base game while SRP is lower than base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignacy - Even though I've only played the base game once, I have bought New Era and plan to buy Winter as well. I love the theme and the idea of the game. At first I was against the idea of the game evolving and the rules essentially changing, but if it is for the better, then I am all for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom moughan
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
ahh....I love the smell of a stack of sketchily placed animals in the morning!
mbmbmbmbmb
when can we see this in the US, Ignacy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael None
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:

2. Price for Winter is - depending on store - about 20% lower than price for base game, while components are in the same amount (box, cards, faction cards, tokens, big custom dice, board).

I just want to make it very clear - perhaps publishers want to earn more on expansions, but in this particular case, we earn MUCH LESS on single copy of Winter than on single copy of base game. Cost of production of Winter is higher than base game while SRP is lower than base game.

How is it possible that cost of production is higher ? There are 50% less cards and counters than in the base game, oh and paper board. It means that publisher pays the same price for 110 cards and 50 cards ? You pay for every "type of thing" not the actual amount of it ? I do not want to be rude but it is hard to understand.

Edit : I am still thinking about it. I do not get it. How it works ? It is like those "eat as much as you can" restaurants ? You just order - cards - and they will print as much as you want ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Other Tom
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trzewik wrote:

1.Board for Frozen city is the same quality like in Castles of Burgundy, great game published in ALEA series. It works well in Stefan Feld's game. It works well in winter too.

Pretty certain if Ignacy has compared the board to CoB's quality then it is perfectly fine. CoB's boards are definitely not paper...I wouldn't even call them heavy cardstock, it is more like a lightweight chipboard.

With pretty much all of alea's games the cardboard is fairly thin but it holds up perfectly fine with multiple plays. I'm sure Winter's board will be just fine also.

51st state is 26 bucks on CSI, if Winter comes in at 20 bucks I am pretty certain that qualifies as being cheaper.

Thanks for the review though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Who took the Bomp from the Bompalompalomp? Who took the Ram from the Ramalamading dong?
mbmbmbmbmb
The only (very minor) complaint I had was that the Texas faction card didn't match the rest of the New Era faction cards in card stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just fine with Winter quality. The card stock is a little bit slimmer for faction cards, but in every other way this is great expansion.

I am just sending hope for Polish Santa Claus that we will get new version of original 51st state with wooden tokens and new icons! The frosen city work so well that I really would like to have those old leaders, but I am not too keen on those olde cards because they have those older icons and no attack distance. It is not a problem for me, but my gaming group includes so much "new" players that differencies causes some serious slow down in the game.

So Santa give me new 3.0 51st state as christmast present ;-)
I will promise to be nice muntant during the next harwest...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on making paste ups for the original 51st State.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

Interesting... So somekind of graphical upgrade over old cards? Have to use colored card shields with them. I think tha I could live with that, but still full upgrade kit full be better ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannibal_pjv wrote:
senorcoo wrote:

Interesting... So somekind of graphical upgrade over old cards? Have to use colored card shields with them. I think tha I could live with that, but still full upgrade kit full be better ;-)

That's the idea. I'm not gonna hold my breath on a full upgrade kit. I got plenty of plays out of Roma with my paste ups before they re-did it without those dreadful icons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.