Subject: Question about Edge Tiles rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Luxmoore
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the game yesterday and have been learning the rules by playing it solo (i.e. playing all hands) before introducing it to my fellow gamers. It looks like a dynamic and interesting game so I can't wait to get some proper plays in.

The only rules question I have come across is what exactly constitutes an edge tile (i.e. the Mining Camp, Quarry and Harbour) - is it the piece of cardboard or is it the "virtual" hex around the title of the tile?

For example consider the setup example on page two of the rulebook. If you had a single move and you were on the harbour you can move to:

1. Either the mill or palace - because the harbour is where the hex would be adjacent to those hexes; or
2. Either the mill, palace or tannery - because the entire cardboard tile counts as the harbour

The rulebook shows them as hexes in the sidebar but there is no delineation on the tile itself and the image relating to the area cover the entire piece of cardboard.

Cheers
Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ian,
Thanks for the question. I thought this might come up, but didn't want to cram it into the rulebook. Each of the 3 edge locations have a 'virtual' hex around them, like you suggested.

Thanks,
Shem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Luxmoore
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers mate, we played our first game last night (and guessed right!).

The game plays fantastically and we all enjoyed it - especially the constantly changing nature of the game which really keeps things interesting. We were also impressed how intuitive the game is once it clicks, which happens very fast.

A couple of other minor questions popped up while we were playing which I might as well put here:

1. Is there a restriction on how many nobility cards you can purchase from a noble in a turn? For example if you have 5 gold could you get one 1-cost and two 2-cost cards in a single turn?

2. If you are picking up silver from the board but can't take all of it without going over eight what happens to the excess? We played they stay on the board for someone else to get but weren't sure. (e.g. there are 3 silver on a space and you use an action to pick it up, but you already have 6 silver, so you take two and leave one there?)

Cheers,
Ian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thoroughly enjoying this as well .. as you say Ian, it really is very easy to come to grips with. My 10yr old daughter and I have been giving it a good run for it's money .. and she's certainly been keeping me on my toes.

She in fact also brought up the question as to whether you can enter an edge hex adjacent to a "shop" and whether it was in fact part of that shop.

With the questions you've asked, I'd assume that...

1. We play you can have multiple "Buy Nobility Card" actions with the same noble.
for one, the Noble is not forced to move away, like with the Rendezvous action; and two, he's a noble, he wants your yellow goodness so he can get himself more bling! ...and he'll happily stick around for you to give him more of it.

2. We play as you do, pick to your quota of 8 and leave the remainder on the tile. Seems right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad you are enjoying Plethora!

Yes, the question regarding silver is correct. Any that a player cannot legally pick up remains on the board.

As for the Nobility card question. Each time you buy a card, you must turn over a commission card from the deck and move the Noble to that location. However, if by chance the card drawn is the same as your current location, or if there was more than 1 Noble on that tile, you can buy more than 1 card that turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing that up ...
Just wondering though, as I've poured over the rulebook, where it mentions that you perform a location card-draw after purchasing a Noble card?
I can't seem to find it.
Maybe I'm having a senior moment (and I'm not even that senior)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woops! I completely left that rule out of the book. Oh well. Use it as a house-rule if you want to. It just helps to prevent players hoarding gold and buying up a whole lot of nobility cards in one turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha ... no probs. we'll play it as you say it's meant to be.
Yes indeed, we have had times when a hoard was spent on a handful of Cards. It was quite fun though ... and did not break the game; as all could see each others gold accruing, and each knew the risks of holding on to it or spending it sooner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Luxmoore
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shem84 wrote:
Woops! I completely left that rule out of the book. Oh well. Use it as a house-rule if you want to. It just helps to prevent players hoarding gold and buying up a whole lot of nobility cards in one turn.

I had actually considered trialling that as a house rule so nice to know it's supposed to be that way Thanks for the answers and the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Thomas
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shem84 wrote:

That'll teach me not to read all the threads before asking a question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.