Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
Game writers, not game designers. What I mean is people who write clear rules (based on an existing rules set, not designing new rules) or flavor text. Or do most publishers/designers do this sort of thing themselves?

EDIT: Since there seems to be a market for these types of skills: how does one go about finding such commissions? Sending samples to publishers? Other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd be interested to know too. Could be a fun thing to do on the sidelines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is often referred to as a task of the Developer or of Editor.

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxim Steshenko
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you'll be welcomed in any project that requires a lot of in-game story content.
For example I can come up with interesting quest system, but it's hard for me to come up with quests itself. Or with rich back-story for a character even if I gave him many interesting abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do some writing of rules and flavour text for games.

It's mainly on a freelance basis though.

So for me not my main income.

For flavour text have some sample pieces for various genres, written in various styles.
I am always open for new commissions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tqboz wrote:
So for me not my main income.

Oh, by no means think this can make you anything like a supplemental income.

I've done flavor text and rule editing for WizKids. It is NOT anything more than a hobby with minor compensation and major work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

Oh, by no means think this can make you anything like a supplemental income.

I've done flavor text and rule editing for WizKids. It is NOT anything more than a hobby with minor compensation and major work.

That sums it up nicely.

I do quite a lot of this, actually.

However, the idea that you'll get any income from it is laughable at best. I do this work almost exclusively as a hobby, as do pretty much all of the other people doing it. It's a LOT of work, but if you're willing to do it for free, there are jobs out there. (I do have one designer who pays me, but a LOT more who don't).

One of the best ways to find work is to keep an eye on the design forum here at BGG. There are a lot of individuals out there who need help. The big game companies will all pretty much ignore you (or at least that has been my experience).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip W.
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Euros are better with dice!
mbmbmbmbmb
JesterPoet wrote:
One of the best ways to find work is to keep an eye on the design forum here at BGG. There are a lot of individuals out there who need help. The big game companies will all pretty much ignore you (or at least that has been my experience).

Yeah, I'm trying to help out where I can. And I've got no illusions about being able to make a living out of this; I've got a real job but it would be fun to get involved more in the production side of gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JesterPoet wrote:

However, the idea that you'll get any income from it is laughable at best.

Depends what you think of as 'income' - I've had a fair number of RPG/wargame books in return for proofreading/copyediting work over the years! If you consider that I would have bought those books anyway, they were effectively paying me (really badly!) for my work.

But in all seriousness, I completely agree; it's something I did for the love of the setting and out of friendship for the guys maintaining it rather than any kind of notion that I could make a living at it. Hell, half the people in game publishing barely make a living out of it themselves!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
JesterPoet wrote:

However, the idea that you'll get any income from it is laughable at best.

Depends what you think of as 'income' - I've had a fair number of RPG/wargame books in return for proofreading/copyediting work over the years! If you consider that I would have bought those books anyway, they were effectively paying me (really badly!) for my work.

But in all seriousness, I completely agree; it's something I did for the love of the setting and out of friendship for the guys maintaining it rather than any kind of notion that I could make a living at it. Hell, half the people in game publishing barely make a living out of it themselves!

True. I have received product. I don't consider it income, but I didn't make that clear, either. It's enough for me, though, so I should have been clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A O
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is relevant to my interests....

Please continue to congregate, oh writers who work for product
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Walden
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
andols wrote:

It's not just the product, though... It's also cool to have your name in the credits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian P Lewis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes some of my work is in exchange for products other work is paid, depends on the company or individual I am doing the work for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the course of writing a couple of instruction manuals, I have had a friend proof-read them. She agreed to do it for free...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there is as long as you dont want to get paid

Rules are hard. Interesting idea though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mb
JesterPoet wrote:
andols wrote:

It's not just the product, though... It's also cool to have your name in the credits.

If your name shows up in the credits! As a ghostwriter and ghost-editor, I generally just get paid or get free product.

By the by: I, too, certainly don't make a living from the boardgaming world! But feel free to enquire.........whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amacleod wrote:

I'd say I get credited on maybe 25% of the work I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.