Völuspá» Forums » Rules

Subject: Valkyrie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
manuel noumak
France
flag msg tools
when I read the rules I have the feeling that Valkyrie tile is very weak :
after I played one at the begining of a row, another player will very likely play the second walkyria at the end of the row or play a tile just after mine, thus it will not be at the edge any more.

So i think it's very difficult to score with walkyrie. anyone can give me his/her view ?

thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trab
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion, Valkyrie is one of the most difficult tiles to play.

nemo1984 wrote:

after I played one at the begining of a row at the end of the row, another player will very likely play the second walkyria

But you can add another one to that same row. Example:

Situation:

Fenrir / Loki / Dragon

Your turn:
Valkyrie / Fenrir / Loki / Dragon (you score 4 points; Fenrir and Dragon have a power of zero, Loki a power of 1, so you beat them with your Valkyrie-power)

Opponents turn:
Valkyrie / Fenrir / Loki / Dragon / Valkyrie (he scores 5 points)

Your turn:
Valkyrie / Fenrir / Loki / Dragon / Valkyrie / Valkyrie (you score 6 points)

By the way, players can end such a cycle easily for example by playing a troll.

nemo1984 wrote:

or play a tile just after mine, thus it will not be at the edge any more.

You have to play it tactically, so you'll always have an option left, which is easier in a 2 player game than in a 3, 4 or 5 player game.
For example:

Situation:

Dragon
Fenrir Odin

Your turn:
Dragon Valkyrie (you don't score)
Fenrir Odin

In a 2 player game, you'll always have an option: left of the dragon or below Odin. In a 3, 4 or 5 player game, it will depend on the tactics of the players: are they going for their own success and choose THEIR best option, or are they going to thwart you, see through your plans and try to block you.

But yes, of course, Valkyrie is much more difficult to play than Odin for example :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Caputo
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartjes wrote:
In my opinion, Valkyrie is one of the most difficult tiles to play.

nemo1984 wrote:

after I played one at the begining of a row at the end of the row, another player will very likely play the second walkyria

But you can add another one to that same row. Example:

Situation:

Fenrir / Loki / Dragon

Your turn:
Valkyrie / Fenrir / Loki / Dragon (you score 4 points; Fenrir and Dragon have a power of zero, Loki a power of 1, so you beat them with your Valkyrie-power)

Opponents turn:
Valkyrie / Fenrir / Loki / Dragon / Valkyrie (he scores 5 points)

Your turn:
Valkyrie / Fenrir / Loki / Dragon / Valkyrie / Valkyrie (you score 6 points)

By the way, players can end such a cycle easily for example by playing a troll.

nemo1984 wrote:

or play a tile just after mine, thus it will not be at the edge any more.

You have to play it tactically, so you'll always have an option left, which is easier in a 2 player game than in a 3, 4 or 5 player game.
For example:

Situation:

Dragon
Fenrir Odin

Your turn:
Dragon Valkyrie (you don't score)
Fenrir Odin

In a 2 player game, you'll always have an option: left of the dragon or below Odin. In a 3, 4 or 5 player game, it will depend on the tactics of the players: are they going for their own success and choose THEIR best option, or are they going to thwart you, see through your plans and try to block you.

But yes, of course, Valkyrie is much more difficult to play than Odin for example :-)

Very good examples, Bart. Here are some of my strategy hints on how to best play the Valkyrie:

* If you have only 1 Valkyrie tile in your hand, don't play it until someone else plays a Valkyrie to the board.

* If you have at least two Valkyries in your hand, then you may want to play a Valkyrie to the board. If possible, play your initial Valkyrie so as to score points, such as on a row like this, where you would score 3 points.

Valkyrie Odin Loki

Another good way to play your initial Valkyrie is to play it near a Loki tile where it's unlikely another player will try to block you. Another player would not want to play to the right of your Valkyrie since they will likely not score.

Odin Wolf Loki
Thor Valkyrie

Generally, it's a good idea to place your initial Valkyrie on a corner as Bart shows in his example, so that you could place your Valkyrie in two different lines. Even better is when Valkyries played by other players create even more scoring opportunities for you.

Let's say you play the first Valkyrie:

Valkyrie Odin Thor
Loki Thor Odin Wolf Wolf Wolf Wolf

Another player plays a Valkyrie:

Valkyrie Odin Thor Valkyrie
Loki Thor Odin Wolf Wolf Wolf Wolf

Now, there are 3 active lines where Valkyries can be played. Potentially, as each new Valkyrie is played to the board, even more lines are opened up where Valkyries can be played.

When placing your initial Valkyrie, make sure you are not limiting yourself in a direction by a Troll or a 7-long line. For example, placing the Valkyrie in the following example is a bad idea since the Troll effectively blocks one possible placement of the next Valkyrie:

Valkyrie Thor
Odin Loki Troll

Hope that helps.

Happy playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manuel noumak
France
flag msg tools
thanks for your answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Perrault

Greendale
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
Come on come on come on come on TOUCH ME BABE can't you see that I am not afraid
mbmbmb
With the expansions Valkyrie is a junk tile, rarely scores much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.