Popular Tags: [View All]
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems my videos here and here of the OCTGN tournament finals were quite enjoyed by many. Unfortunately there's isn't a tournament every day, but that's no reason why shouldn't do more of these.

I was thinking, maybe we could arrange to have some of the top players of the last tournament arrannge to play against each other, while I (or someone more experienced even) record the matches and provide commentary.

Being outside of the tournament, should allow us to have more time to organize this with less stress for everyone. So what I'd like to know is:

if there interest in doing something like this?

Who should be invited play? Should I limit to the top (8/10/12) of the last tournament to make sure we get advanced matches, or should it be open to all?

Who else wants to co-cast with me? Doing it alone I discovered that I don't always have something to say, so there's periods or awkward radio silence. I believe another co-caster would help with that. I've already had an offer from someone to help, but I'm not opposed to getting more experienced NR players than I am to help provide interesting commentary

Anything else you'd like to suggest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
flag msg tools
*thumbs up*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THe problem is that newbiw VS expert games tend to be quite one-sided and quick. You don't get much of a cast out of one. It should be either newbie VS newbie or veteran VS veteran. The question is, how do we know who is what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:
THe problem is that newbiw VS expert games tend to be quite one-sided and quick. You don't get much of a cast out of one. It should be either newbie VS newbie or veteran VS veteran. The question is, how do we know who is what.

ask them to explain how Femme Fetale vs Tollbooth works?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
You bypass it, am U right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Djuzuh wrote:
Very interested.

I could co-cast if needed, but I don't think I have the specs to record the game, or the connection to upload one. And I can play ofc .

No worries, I will take care of that. All I need my co-caster to be able to do is connect to my mumble server and to the game as spectator

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
DbZer0 wrote:

ask them to explain how Femme Fetale vs Tollbooth works?

Followed up by a question of Femme Fatale VS Chum

Oh that wacky Femme...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah D

Arlington
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great idea! Would be quite happy to volunteer either to play or co-commentate.

The videos you've done thus far have been really excellent, so I'll certainly be lining up to see anything that comes out of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From my perspective, I'd rather wait the few months to get the victors from the Spring Event.

Too many of these and they stop being special.

That said...

I'd be interested in helping in some capacity for those event related castings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hollis
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
I was thinking of doing something similar as part of the semi-regular blog posts I make, with an emphasis on "developing intermediate/advanced skills". Perhaps you and I could talk?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure. Hit me up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hollis wrote:
I was thinking of doing something similar as part of the semi-regular blog posts I make, with an emphasis on "developing intermediate/advanced skills". Perhaps you and I could talk?

Capturing multiple games and then showing only the situations of interest (similar to your blogs which I find very thought provoking) is interesting to me, since it would capture only the 3-4 minutes that the decision is being made in.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hollis
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:
Capturing multiple games and then showing only the situations of interest (similar to your blogs which I find very thought provoking) is interesting to me, since it would capture only the 3-4 minutes that the decision is being made in.

You're reading my mind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of like the old PSAs where Little Bobbie just got his driver's license and is about to approach a dangerous situation...

The action stops... The voiceover announcer speaks.

"Bobbie is about to enter the intersection... There is a pedestrian in his blind spot on the right and he seems more interested in impressing his date Susie than paying attention to the road. What do you think is about to happen?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
hollis wrote:

thumbsup

Optimally, the best way would be to capture every game, and then the players would ask us to cast it via a replay, if it was an interesting match. Unfortunately this is not very viable, since we lack a built-in replay recorder.

I'm not sure how we would go about doing the above, since it would require eithe the caster to be in each game, hoping for one such moment, or for one person to always record their match and then overlaying commentary, which is something completely different (and doesn't need a caster anyway )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:
hollis wrote:

thumbsup

Optimally, the best way would be to capture every game, and then the players would ask us to cast it via a replay, if it was an interesting match. Unfortunately this is not very viable, since we lack a built-in replay recorder.

I'm not sure how we would go about doing the above, since it would require eithe the caster to be in each game, hoping for one such moment, or for one person to always record their match and then overlaying commentary, which is something completely different (and doesn't need a caster anyway )

I favor the recording/replay option. It lets you tune the voice track (redoing it if necessary). Though it loses the 'live' feel, I'm personally convinced that the World Poker Tour guys don't 'livecast', they 'postcast'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Easier

Fairport
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yes, I would absolutely support the creation of more game casts. I don't think that non-special event replays would water down the effect of this. Quite the opposite, I think it would help highlight or lead into special events to make it that much better. Maybe spectators will be able to find and follow a favorite player through a larger tournament from these replays. Or rivalries could form that would lead to some very interesting match-ups, only possible from having a history of these replays for spectators.

I am noobs at Netrunner so I wouldn't be very interesting as a player, but would be willing to donate monetarily if needed. I'm sure you might have software/hardware/server/bandwidth/baby food costs that might need to be supplemented...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Martin
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This sounds like a lot of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hollis
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
byronczimmer wrote:
I favor the recording/replay option. It lets you tune the voice track (redoing it if necessary). Though it loses the 'live' feel, I'm personally convinced that the World Poker Tour guys don't 'livecast', they 'postcast'.

I also lean towards this option. Netrunner is a very fun game to play, but it is full of many moments that are simply uninteresting/repetitive as a spectator. I think editing matches down to interesting bits, and then overlaying commentary, would be essential for any sort of recurring netrunner video series to maintain viewership. There is a time and a place for casting "full games" (namely, finals tournament matchups), but this approach would certainly be counterproductive for discussing more casual matches.

The WPT guys almost certainly overlay commentary after the fact, and do lots of content editing. Poker doesn't result in nearly as many interesting hands as TV makes it out to.

DbZer0 wrote:

I'm not sure how we would go about doing the above, since it would require either the caster to be in each game, hoping for one such moment, or for one person to always record their match and then overlaying commentary, which is something completely different (and doesn't need a caster anyway )

Yeah, there are some serious limitations that need to be worked within. I guess it is worth defining the sort of scope you'd want to pursue a project like this in? A once-a-week thing, a once-a-month thing, a special-event thing, or something with bursts of content here and there, but not necessarily regular? Would you be willing to put in the time investment for editing and post-processing, or would the final product be a little more raw?

The approach I had considered was to do a bi-weekly/monthly review of my personal, interesting games. So, every time I log into OCTGN, I'd fire up a screen recorder, and just have it running while I play. If I had a particularly interesting game, I'd note the time. After a couple weeks, go back, splice out all of the interesting games, and then edit them down to the most essential/interesting plays on both sides, and then narrate/provide commentary on those interesting bits.

One of the upsides to an approach like this is it would require minimal overhead in terms of organizing match-ups; it's pretty common to naturally have a few really interesting games over a 2-week span. You could also have "invited guests" to play against. The obvious downside is that it is centered on one person's play. And while this is quite fine for a training/tutorial series, for something to provide entertainment to a broader range of people, diversity in opponent match-ups would probably be required.

Starcraft II might be a good analog to A:NR in terms of looking for effective ways to produce a recurring video series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
I think just capturing it and putting it on youtube is better than nothing. http://boardgamegeek.com/video/23183/android-netrunner/octgn... was good to watch, even if there was some down time, because I could skip ahead.

Watching these videos is very useful for learning the game -- basically the main way I learned about how a game would actually go, after learning the rules.

However, please make sure the combat log is readable and big, as that's where a lot of the action is. In that video it was just small and in the corner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bier Fuizl
Germany
flag msg tools
DbZer0 wrote:

Oh that wacky Femme...

Oh that whacky A:NR run timing...

Constant vs triggered vs paid. And those not clearly specified on the cards doesn't help either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hollis wrote:

Yeah, there are some serious limitations that need to be worked within. I guess it is worth defining the sort of scope you'd want to pursue a project like this in? A once-a-week thing, a once-a-month thing, a special-event thing, or something with bursts of content here and there, but not necessarily regular? Would you be willing to put in the time investment for editing and post-processing, or would the final product be a little more raw?

I don't have that much time to do a lot of post-processing, so unless I saw that there's significant interest, I would probably just do things more raw. For the time frame, I haven't decided. Which is why I asked, to see how much interest there is, and from there judge how many casts are feasible and how many I can do.

Quote:

The approach I had considered was to do a bi-weekly/monthly review of my personal, interesting games. So, every time I log into OCTGN, I'd fire up a screen recorder, and just have it running while I play. If I had a particularly interesting game, I'd note the time. After a couple weeks, go back, splice out all of the interesting games, and then edit them down to the most essential/interesting plays on both sides, and then narrate/provide commentary on those interesting bits.

One of the upsides to an approach like this is it would require minimal overhead in terms of organizing match-ups; it's pretty common to naturally have a few really interesting games over a 2-week span. You could also have "invited guests" to play against. The obvious downside is that it is centered on one person's play. And while this is quite fine for a training/tutorial series, for something to provide entertainment to a broader range of people, diversity in opponent match-ups would probably be required.

also the MOBA genre (DotA2, LoL etc). If we had some way to make recordings that could be shared with others and replayed via OCTGN, then it would have been awesome and very easy to find and cast interesting matches.

You idea is generally something that would work, but as you mentioned, it's limited only to the people who have the drive and the software to actually do it and doesn't require anyone else.

I also don't think often casts will cheapen the effect. People who care only a little will still only watch tournaments and the odd amazing cast, while the A:NR addicts will probably watch everything while bored at work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
contiguity wrote:

However, please make sure the combat log is readable and big, as that's where a lot of the action is. In that video it was just small and in the corner.

I know, it was barely readable, even though it was zooming in when I was typing. I'll see if the SW allows some type of localized zoom in to an area for next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:
contiguity wrote:

I know, it was barely readable, even though it was zooming in when I was typing. I'll see if the SW allows some type of localized zoom in to an area for next time.

I would love to be able to snap this out and make it big, tall and populated by a large font on the left hand side.

That's for casting AND playing mind you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Luxembourg
Esch-sur-Alzette
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
DbZer0 wrote:
contiguity wrote:

I would love to be able to snap this out and make it big, tall and populated by a large font on the left hand side.

That's for casting AND playing mind you.

True. The chat is absurdly small. I think I'll open a suggestion about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.