Hide
6 Posts

Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Including RotA for first-timers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hemmo Puu
msg tools
What's your opinion, should the first Eclipse game a player plays be just the basic game or could you implement some of the stuff from RotA? I'm thinking about rare techs and such. What, if any, parts of RotA could be included so it wouldn't get too messy? Or would it just be a bad idea? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gleb Semenjuk
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teleports are easy to comprehend, recommended.

Rare techs may be a bit too much - there's too much new even without them.

New GCDS - perfect. Keeps players away from the fight on turn 4.

Ancient hives - may kill the game for newcomer.

Ancient cruisers on empty spaces - very OK.

New races -- pirates and magellan are OK. Others need thinking - not recommended much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't got my copy yet, but from reading the rules I'd say go very light on them, if you use them at all. Definitely do NOT use simultaneous play.

And remember, use all Terrans. It really does help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this expansion a lot, but going to full terrans in the beginning is good advice. It is easier to maintain the balance and it is easier to know what opponents most propably do...
The trade for terrans make it easier to counter bad luck in sectors and high movement rate helps against turtling. So Terrans are actually very good. After some games start upping the stakes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Richardson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmb
I'm still not bored with the base game. I wouldn't include anything from RotA. I think including any expansion materials would confuse new players as to what is part of the base game and what isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
modsr wrote:
What's your opinion, should the first Eclipse game a player plays be just the basic game or could you implement some of the stuff from RotA? I'm thinking about rare techs and such. What, if any, parts of RotA could be included so it wouldn't get too messy? Or would it just be a bad idea? Thanks!

I find that most people struggle with their first game of Eclipse as is. No need to add more complexities. Better to err towards less complex rather than more complex or you may soon be lacking Eclipse play partners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.