Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michał Różycki
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I'm a huge fan of Stephen King and I'm wondering if it's possible that in age of modern board games no one published the game based on his stuff? Maybe only I never heard about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like he was involved in the playtesting of The Shining
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robaczyw wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm a huge fan of Stephen King and I'm wondering if it's possible that in age of modern board games no one published the game based on his stuff? Maybe only I never heard about it?

I've daydreamed about two games based on his books...

1) "It": A game in two phases, one in the 50s, one in the 80's, where what happens in the first part has an effect on the second part. (You flip the board over, something like that.) Some kind of "Arkham Horror" type mechanics where you control the Losers' Club and try to stop Pennywise.

2) The Dark Tower: Again, a game with two aspects, one in Gilead, one in the modern Americas, controlling the Gunslinger and his Ka-tet, trying to reach the Tower and stop the Crimson King. "Arkham Horror" is my inspiration again, with the main board and the expansion board where things are happening simultaneously.

One can dream.

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
mbmbmbmbmb
Robaczyw wrote:
Hi everyone,

Pandemic could be the prequel to "The Stand." Assuming the players lose, of course.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Thing is a fan made card based game where one player plays the thing and slowly infects/kills other human players covering locales like the rec room, radio room, outpost, shed
Events from the movie/books are followed in a series of 3 acts with the surviving uninfected have a chance to burn everything or see what happens
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't help you there, but it struck me that The Long Walk could be turned into a potentially fantastic game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Hound
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If the games are going to be as good as the movies...please, no.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Różycki
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
Looks like he was involved in the playtesting of The Shining

Wow! Thanks!

Aimon wrote:
Robaczyw wrote:
Hi everyone,

I've daydreamed about two games based on his books...

1) "It": A game in two phases, one in the 50s, one in the 80's, where what happens in the first part has an effect on the second part. (You flip the board over, something like that.) Some kind of "Arkham Horror" type mechanics where you control the Losers' Club and try to stop Pennywise.

2) The Dark Tower: Again, a game with two aspects, one in Gilead, one in the modern Americas, controlling the Gunslinger and his Ka-tet, trying to reach the Tower and stop the Crimson King. "Arkham Horror" is my inspiration again, with the main board and the expansion board where things are happening simultaneously.

Looks like my dream too.

nukeu666 wrote:
The Thing is a fan made card based game where one player plays the thing and slowly infects/kills other human players covering locales like the rec room, radio room, outpost, shed
Events from the movie/books are followed in a series of 3 acts with the surviving uninfected have a chance to burn everything or see what happens

Looks great but The Thing isn't Stephen King's stuff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Coscio
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with The Long Walk. I think The Mist could be a good one as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah, excuse me while i die of embarrassment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I would love to see a game based off The Dark Tower series. Maybe a dungeon crawl with each person assuming the role of a member of the Ka-Tet, or a deck building game just based in the universe. There would be so much to do with expansions bringing in elements of some of his other books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Farrell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aimon wrote:

One can dream.

This. Would. Be. A. Maze. Ing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think both The Stand and The Dark Tower series have the potential to be amazing games. I'm honestly surprised there are no King works licensed out there yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert (Bob) Miller Sr
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any Monsters vs Humans game could be converted to a Mist like game. Or a Zombies vs Humans, just substitute various monster minis for the Zombies. Thru trial and error, adjust the combat damage given/taken by each, etc. Set goals like survive X turns or get to a safe place or make it to an evac heliport, etc.

Could use a battlemat and draw out the area you want to play in. The tiles from the game Zombies!!! and it's expansions could be used as well. Could use game boards with a house like Clue and various versions to fight the monsters in a house like environment. Zombie Town has a suburb setting that could be used as well.

Anyway, you get the idea. Hope this helps.

Bob...............
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ream
United States
omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone interested in starting a thread or even a guild dedicated to the design of a game based on the Dark Tower Series? I think it would be foremost for the enjoyment of bouncing ideas off each other and fantasizing about such a game and if we get enough good ideas flowing, maybe it will merge into full blown design phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hntrbass wrote:
Is anyone interested in starting a thread or even a guild dedicated to the design of a game based on the Dark Tower Series? I think it would be foremost for the enjoyment of bouncing ideas off each other and fantasizing about such a game and if we get enough good ideas flowing, maybe it will merge into full blown design phase.

I'd be interested in seeing where that could lead, but I'm not sure I would know how to start it... so far my musings have not gone much farther than what I described earlier in this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Dubya
United States
Scotia
New York
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I know where you live, and I've seen where you sleep. I swear to everything holy that your mothers will CRY when they see what I've done to you.
badge
Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
mbmbmbmbmb
Locke & Key: The Game is based off the comic book that his son writes; does that come close?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
badge
Cheap as chips
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't a Stephen King game tend to end in a bizarre manner that is a complete disappointment based on the fun everyone had in the preceding gameplay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ream
United States
omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
Wouldn't a Stephen King game tend to end in a bizarre manner that is a complete disappointment based on the fun everyone had in the preceding gameplay?

OUCH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:

So, a deck builder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Aimon wrote:

I'd love to see it as presented in the book, where both times happen "simultaneously" so you can't play part of 50's until you get a goal in the 80s, but you can't play through the 80s without something you gain from the 50's. Add in some kind of turn limiting aspect so you have to manage your time by playing both eras simultaneously without knowing how either will resolve.
Personally, I'd like to see completely different mechanics that make it stand out from Arkham Horror as a unique series, rather than "Arkham Horror: Derry Edition"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Butsudoka wrote:
Can't help you there, but it struck me that The Long Walk could be turned into a potentially fantastic game.

Quick! Somebody do a re-theme on Can't Stop!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:

I'd love to see it as presented in the book, where both times happen "simultaneously" ...

It may lend itself better to an rpg than a board game. Most of the conflict was personal issues (in the past and present). I am not sure how that might translate to a board game without roaming far from the source material. Even if it was loyal, that would be some heavy issues to deal with for a board game.

I do like the idea of having to face a final confrontation twice in one game. The level of success on the first impacts the shape of the second confrontation.

If I was to pick games with potenital board game options:

1) Carrie
It is set in the Prom. It is a semi-cooperative game. The players need to escape the gym and Carrie's wraith.
It is possible to work together to find their way out, but a player gets bonuses for betraying another player. However, that behavior makes the betrayer more likely to gain Carrie's attention.

2) The Stand

Hmm. A deck builder where each card can be drafted by two different means. As the game goes on, the good side becomes stronger. However, the bad side starts off much stronger and needs to push for an end game as soon as possible?

3) The Mist

Each player controls a group of survivors trying to survive a certain number of turns. There are limited resources in the market... not enough to support even one faction, but there are other stores to explore. Do players work together and try to survive together? Or take the "easy" route and eliminate other factions to make resources last.

Oh, and don't forget about the random bug attacks...

It would be a cross between an American-style move & go game (Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game) and a worker placement game (Agricola).

4) Battleground

One player controls a single super powered creature.
The other player controls a mass of little weenies. Who will win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sly
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have dreamed to see something from his books in game form. I can understand that it would be quite tricky though. It's hard to find the perfect broad premise with easily identifiable broad goals that lend themselves to "game-ifying" without diluting the story so much that it's generic and feels unconnected to the books.

I could see a Dark Tower game not directly based on the books but set in the universe or a "Wind Through The Keyhole" type filler story that doesn't affect the grander story. I worry that there might be too many specific story beats that would have to be hit to make a game that follows the written story. But I'm no game designer, perhaps someone much more clever than I could make it work.

Personally, one that really jumps out at me as being easier to translate to board game form would be Salem's Lot. I think the spine of the story would be pretty easy to turn into a game with clear beginning, middle, and end. Arkham seems to be the go-to model to start from, there'd be that sense of exploring and gearing up, maybe work in a stronger idea of investigation and following clues to find where the vampires were holed up. I haven't played Fury of Dracula, but there's a day/night mechanic in there, right? That'd be an obvious element to work into a Salem's Lot game, trying to be as efficient as possible in the day before night fell and the vampires you're trying to find awake and kill once more. The game could sort of be a series of mini-showdowns trying to stay ahead of the growing vampire population and prevent the town from being overrun, until a final, grander showdown with Barlow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as long as no game ever covers wizard and glass EVER...i say thumbs up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.