Subject: Archaeology vs. Morels rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own Morels and my wife loves it. I am trying to find a few more games in a similar, but not too similar vein. Jaipur seems a little too similar to me, even though I think if I would have bought it before Morels, she would have liked it too. My other thought is, my eight year old daughter has become a board game geek like her dad and I thought Archaeology supporting multiple players might be good for her. Would purchasing Archaeology be overkill in my "set collecting" collection? Other suggestions?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
k0w0k wrote:
I own Morels and my wife loves it. I am trying to find a few more games in a similar, but not too similar vein. Jaipur seems a little too similar to me, even though I think if I would have bought it before Morels, she would have liked it too. My other thought is, my eight year old daughter has become a board game geek like her dad and I thought Archaeology supporting multiple players might be good for her. Would purchasing Archaeology be overkill in my "set collecting" collection? Other suggestions?

Thanks.

Archaeology is cute, but lighter feeling because everyone is dealing with the thieves and sandstorms which can have pretty large effects. Jaipur is more about trying to be maximally efficient with collectign, which is also nice.

Perhaps take a step sideways and look at Jambo?

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with what Bruce said about Archaeology. It's light, and quite similar to a traditional card game in feel, so a great for people who are not gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
k0w0k wrote:
Would purchasing Archaeology be overkill in my "set collecting" collection? Other suggestions?

Elsewhere within set collection you can also try Drive which can play more than two. It has a different aspect where you can out-play an opponent and force him to discard sets. I don't feel there is overkill in owning several of these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having just had a chance to play a playtest copy (with 4, need to try it with fewer and more), I can happily toss Phil's new game Sushi Go! into the ring. As light as Archaeology, no random events, but 7-wonders style drafting. There are enough variations in scoring type to make it work pretty well.

It's being indiegogo'd at the moment.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
Having just had a chance to play a playtest copy (with 4, need to try it with fewer and more), I can happily toss Phil's new game Sushi Go! into the ring. As light as Archaeology, no random events, but 7-wonders style drafting. There are enough variations in scoring type to make it work pretty well.

It's being indiegogo'd at the moment.

B>

I just supported said project last night. Here's hoping it meets its goal. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan c marquez
Mexico
ZAPOPAN
JALISCO
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I own Jaipur, Archaeology and morels. I think there is room for all of them.

Morels for me is the deeper game with more things to think about.
Jaipur has similarities to Morels but enough differences to make it feel different.
Archaeology as others have stated is very light, has a push your luck element(those sandstorms can be cruel) and is very cheap (usd$7.00).

For what is worth my personal opinion having many and varied games makes those games more replayable. Morels is fairly new for me and my wife (played about 8-10 since I got it about two weeks ago) and although we dont play Jaipur and ARchaeology regularly we do play them at least one day every month or two in our regular rotation of games we play or when we go on vacation as they are fairly portable and enjoy both of them.

By the way in the forums I have heard that you can play Jaipur with 3 players, dont know how it plays.

If you are looking for card games for 2 or more take a look at:
No thanks (great 3-6 players, not for 2p)
Parade(great 2-6 player game)
Coloretto(great 2-5 player)
pax (2-4 similar game as biblios (the drafting mechanich and set collection but each color gives you different abilities) and at the end you have to compare your scores against rome)
Fzzzt: (2-5) auction + set collection + very simple deck building
r-eco: (2-5 "recycling game")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nolemarquez wrote:
I own Jaipur, Archaeology and morels. I think there is room for all of them.

Morels for me is the deeper game with more things to think about.
Jaipur has similarities to Morels but enough differences to make it feel different.
Archaeology as others have stated is very light, has a push your luck element(those sandstorms can be cruel) and is very cheap (usd$7.00).

For what is worth my personal opinion having many and varied games makes those games more replayable. Morels is fairly new for me and my wife (played about 8-10 since I got it about two weeks ago) and although we dont play Jaipur and ARchaeology regularly we do play them at least one day every month or two in our regular rotation of games we play or when we go on vacation as they are fairly portable and enjoy both of them.

By the way in the forums I have heard that you can play Jaipur with 3 players, dont know how it plays.

If you are looking for card games for 2 or more take a look at:
No thanks (great 3-6 players, not for 2p)
Parade(great 2-6 player game)
Coloretto(great 2-5 player)
pax (2-4 similar game as biblios (the drafting mechanich and set collection but each color gives you different abilities) and at the end you have to compare your scores against rome)
Fzzzt: (2-5) auction + set collection + very simple deck building
r-eco: (2-5 "recycling game")

Awesome list! Thanks for the info. I keep adding more and more to my Christmas list thanks to all the responses.

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.