Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Hathaway
United States
Erieville
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I've only played about 6 games, and have enjoyed each game (4th ed.).

My issues are that it doesn't seem like they play tested it, which is bizarre because I know it's been around a long time. Here are my issues:

1) The Monk seems to be way too powerful. Whoever plays him has won so far. He just keeps getting craft at every opportunity and he can kill anything.

2) Having to move the die roll sucks. It should be that you can stop at any space up to the roll. You spend way too much time trying to get to a space you need to get to, making the specialty spots something you really can't plan on getting (like graveyard to recharge fate).

3) Like in number 2, it's so hard to even get spells it's not worth trying.

4) Whenever a wish is available, everyone always chooses craft or strength, as they are more permanent and thus more helpful in other endeavors during the game.

5) Pitfiends in the inner ring are only level 4. What a joke. Usually anyone at that stage has at least 9 strength, which makes defeating the pitfiends a virtual certainty...who cares if there are 2 or 6?

That's all I got right now. I think being able to move any space up to the roll would solve many of these issues as strategic spaces could be targeted and achieved, so the game would be less random.

Anyone else feel the same way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:
This belongs in the Talisman forum, not in the General Gaming forum.

He is a new user so he is pardoned. An admin will move it when they catch it.

As for Talisman it is a very random game. It has its limitations for sure. I'd say if you dont like the way it plays and have ideas to improve it for yourself and your group then play with your homerules. Then report back how it turned out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
mbmbmbmbmb
4Blades wrote:

2) Having to move the die roll sucks. It should be that you can stop at any space up to the roll. You spend way too much time trying to get to a space you need to get to, making the specialty spots something you really can't plan on getting (like graveyard to recharge fate).
Anyone else feel the same way?

All of us who don't prefer these older games anymore.

For a thematic adventure game with more self-determination try Arkham Horror, Fury of Dracula (second edition), or any number of other games along this line. Look up "Fantasy Flight Games" and you may find some modern designs that are more appealing to your tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you answered your own question. Talisman is an old game, and the entire idea of a roll and move game is a bit outdated these days. People play it just for the fun of it. If you're having fun, feel free to make your own house rules to try to fix the gameplay up a bit.

Another way to go would be to check out some of the newer games where more thinking is involved. Descent 2nd Ed. seems like an obvious recommendation, although I haven't played it yet. Take a look though the highly ranked thematic games from the front page of BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Talisman

Thanks to all who flagged it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4Blades wrote:
1) The Monk seems to be way too powerful. Whoever plays him has won so far. He just keeps getting craft at every opportunity and he can kill anything.

+3 is too powerful ? Granted, that's better than just about every weapon, but given he can't use weapons, he needs something. Don't tell me your group is another one that missed "Craft value = printed value", he DOES NOT add his full Craft.

Quote:

You shouldn't really be trying to get to a certain space most of the time, just go with the flow, stay within 6 spaces of where you want to get to and eventually, between all those Adventure (that are really what you want) you'll get there.

Quote:
3) Like in number 2, it's so hard to even get spells it's not worth trying.

Funny, I've see the Warlock spell-cycle 40+ Spell cards just by himself in a game.

Quote:
5) Pitfiends in the inner ring are only level 4. What a joke. Usually anyone at that stage has at least 9 strength, which makes defeating the pitfiends a virtual certainty...who cares if there are 2 or 6?

They are on the Craft path. If you're going down the Craft path with Str 9, you also have Craft of (generally) at least 9. To me, you've waited FAR too long to hit the Inner Region in that case. Str 6-7 (in battle, so if you have a +2 weapon, only need like Str 4 or 5) is most you need (assuming no chance of a fight ending). Pitfiends are there to prevent high Craft characters from drawing Gnome or Solomon's Crown and hitting the Inner Region right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Hathaway
United States
Erieville
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Well, my group is my kids and me, and yes, I guess I missed the point that craft value was the printed value only...we were adding every craft bonus. So, it would have been clearer had the Monk's card stated add 3 to your strength during battle, since his "craft value" is always 3. Thanks for the clarification though

As far as spells go, if you have a character that can always have one spell, once you pick up a useless spell, like counterspell, you are stuck with it until you can use it, and in the last game I played that was never. Unless I'm missing something there too.

Thanks for all the tips on "newer" boardgames! 'Tis the season, and I'll probably be picking up Descent and or Arkham Horror...been eyeballing those for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Ghost Stories if you want a great co-op game. It's mindboggingly addictive, and challenging, but easy to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4Blades wrote:
Well, my group is my kids and me, and yes, I guess I missed the point that craft value was the printed value only...we were adding every craft bonus. So, it would have been clearer had the Monk's card stated add 3 to your strength during battle, since his "craft value" is always 3. Thanks for the clarification though

However, expansions add cards that can modify Str/Craft value, just to throw a wrench into the printing +3 on the card . Brainwave/Energize double Str/Craft value for the rest of the turn (excellent for taking down the Lord of Darkness + still in effect if there is a fight ending on the Crown) and I believe there are Quest Rewards in Sacred Pool that add to your Str or Craft value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Israel
Ashdod
Negev
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam, Indeed, there are.

Talisman with the expansions is the greatest board game ever.Hyperbole be damned, but I stand by it.

The base game doesn't have sufficient variety in the cards to provide
enough interesting opportunities,stakes and rewards.

The expansions add diverse adventure/spell cards and characters with interesting triggering conditions that offer additional layers of opportunity that are absent from the base title .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Wood
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam hits all the high points.
Also, there are spells and items that allow you to move up to your Movement roll.
One of which is the Clockwork Owl Dungeon Treasure. It shows up often in our games because we use the Random Dungeon Reward Rule. If Characters could innately move up to their dice roll all the time, Evil or PvP characters would have more of a bonus. (The Ghoul and Vampiress might actually be really competitive)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliott Eastoe
United Kingdom
Street
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Blood Moon expansion adds many cards that allow a character to move any number of spaces up to his die roll for movement!

Ell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduard Navratil
Czech Republic
Vizovice
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yet another thing regarding pit fiends: Even though they are next to no threat, they delay you. In my last game I almost fried the craft-preferring suckers (incidentally, warrior and dwarf) with the command spell while they wasted their time with the pit fiends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wiese
Germany
35043 Marburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Longshanx wrote:
Yet another thing regarding pit fiends: Even though they are next to no threat, they delay you. In my last game I almost fried the craft-preferring suckers (incidentally, warrior and dwarf) with the command spell while they wasted their time with the pit fiends.

But they only delay you if you lose against them or tie. If you are strong enough, you can pass through that space in one turn no matter howmany fiends are lurking in those pits
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduard Navratil
Czech Republic
Vizovice
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh my, you are right! But in that particular game it wouldn´t have changed much - both made it through and after an epic three-way battle, warrior put the Crown of Command upon his troubled brow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.