Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Daily Iowan has an article about a new game store opening in Coralville. Probably worth a visit if you live in the area. Here's a blurb from the article in today's Daily Iowan:

Quote:
UI graduate Jerod Leupold hopes to give local gamers a new home when
his venture, Critical Hit Games, 89 Second St., opens late next week.

"It's going to be a retail store, but the emphasis will be a community
for like-minded gamers," he said.

The 1,600-sqare-foot store will sell trading and collectible card
games, as well as board games, role-playing games, and miniature
figures. It will also host tournaments for the most popular titles, as
well as training sessions to help players hone their skills.

Also, Daydreams Comics in the Iowa City pedestrian mall has started carrying a small selection of games.

http://tinyurl.com/bj72e

--
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Parsons
Thailand
Bangkok
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Stumbled across Critical Hit while running errands. Managed to fit in a little Christmas shopping. Unfortunately I had just bought Ticket to Ride and Shadows Over Camelot mail order or I would have bought them there - bad timing. The store doesn't currently have a lot of inventory and the location is not very visible but I hope they can make it work. I'd rather spend a few dollars extra to support a local store where I can browse than buy online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Woodburn
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I like Critical Hit a lot. The tables are nice, it's brightly lit, and, after speaking with the owner, I believe he has a good plan for the continued growth of the store.

The store doesn't have the biggest stock ever, but they do have a nice selection of board games. The owner, Jerod Leupold, told me that with the initial opening of the store, he wanted to hold some money in reserve to expand into the areas that generated the most interest in the local gaming communities. Board games, thankfully, are one of those areas. He plans to increase his selection significantly, and is using this site, as well as customer feedback, as a guide for the sort of things he should get.

Daydreams has been a bit disappointing. A while back I gave him a list of interesting board games, which he followed up on well. However, since their initial interest in getting back into gaming, their effort level toward that end has slowed. I'm not sure when, or if, they will follow up on this. Right now, I'm happy to invest in Critical Hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcparsons wrote:
Stumbled across Critical Hit while running errands. Managed to fit in a little Christmas shopping. Unfortunately I had just bought Ticket to Ride and Shadows Over Camelot mail order or I would have bought them there - bad timing. The store doesn't currently have a lot of inventory and the location is not very visible but I hope they can make it work. I'd rather spend a few dollars extra to support a local store where I can browse than buy online.

er, according to your profile, you live in Thailand? How'd you happen to stumble on Critical Hit in Iowa?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I visited Critical Hit Games today on my lunch break. First impression is that it's small but has potential. The focus is definitely on providing a gaming space and developing community (yea!).

http://criticalhitgames.net/
http://www.rpgindustry.com/storelocator/storeinfo.php?STORE_...
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=89+2nd+st,+coralville,+ia&hl=e...

It's in the strip mall adjacent to the Heartland Inn parking lot, behind Peking Buffet, next door to the Futon shop. The first thing you see is a dozen-plus tables, covered in green felt. The one by the window had a small Warhammer 40K setup, the others were empty. A calendar and meetup bulletin board are by the door. On the right wall is the merchandise - about 20% roleplaying, 60% collectible cards and minis, 20% board games. The board game selection included about 25 games, from big-boxes like Twilight Imperium down to card games like Gloom and Lunch Money. I already own about 2/3 of them, which is a good sign.

There's a partially furnished back room with overstuffed chairs and couches, which will be a lounge when it's completed. A sign on the wall indicated they sell coffee and pop and such. Subway, Papa Johns Pizza, Old Chicago and the aforementioned Peking Buffet are all in easy walking distance, so food shouldn't be a problem.

Board game night is Wednesday, with scheduled demos (tonight is Blood Bowl and Puerto Rico). They just got a shipment of demo games from Rio Grande and will be working those into the mix in January. They also have T/CCG nights (Yu-Gi-Oh, Magic...) and minis night (Warhammer 40K...) and are planning a regular D&D hack-n-slash gladiator thing. The local RPGA group is hosting their January session at the store.

It's a slow time in Iowa City, a college town on winter break, so it didn't surprise me to be the only customer at 1:20 in the afternoon. Jerod, the owner, was very welcoming and friendly. While I was there, a woman came in looking for Yu-Gi-Oh cards for her teenage son and Jared showed her around the store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went looking for the store this afternoon around 3:30pm. I guess it is where I thought it was, but as I drove by, I missed the sign, if there is one. I did a U-turn down by the Vine and came back west on the strip. Still didn't see it. I'll try to stop by tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's right next door to the futon shop - the same one with Subway - the only sign is hanging in the window inside the game store, so it's easy to miss. It's in the little strip mall that's due north of Peking Buffet - standing in front of the game shop, you're looking at the back door of Peking.

I'll be there tonight for the board gaming, going there after work at 5 - scheduled demos are Blood Bowl and Puerto Rico.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Parsons
Thailand
Bangkok
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
er, according to your profile, you live in Thailand? How'd you happen to stumble on Critical Hit in Iowa?

Just moved and can't bring myself to change my profile.

Did put a few things on my shopping list from Critical Hit. Just to support local business you know - yeah that's it .

Does look like a friendly place and I'll keep an eye out for demos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Woodburn
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
People trying to find Critical Hit should be aware that the sign hasn't been re-done yet. The big sign out front still says "Hair Zone." Apparently, that sign will be taken down and re-done withing the upcoming month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I snapped a few pictures of the store before playing Caylus on Wednesday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/thecat/sets/72057594051477969/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Yamanishi
United States
Mt. Vernon
Iowa
flag msg tools
I moved to the Iowa City area (Mt. Vernon, specifically) just recently, and finally got around to checking for a FLGS. This place sounds good, but what's its flood status?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They were flooded. See http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/319735 for details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel J
United States
Iowa City
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can get up to date information on their forums here. Or just go to their website, www.criticalhitgames.net.

From the forums it looks like they plan to open up on the east side of Iowa City near the Sycamore Mall sometime soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They're open at the new location at the old hours.
http://criticalhitgames.myfreeforum.org/about476.html

They really need to get the site up-to-date, but I can understand why it hasn't seemed like Priority 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McD
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
The "Hobby Corner" in Sycamore mall (close to where the new Critical Hit location is) has a decent selection of boardgames ... more than Critical Hit does actually. Both stores have strange hours if you ask me, so check it out before you make a trip from another city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Varvel

Iowa City
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick update...

Currently there are three stores in the IC metro area.

Hobby Corner (east side of Iowa City) in sycamore mall
Critical Hit (near downtown IC)
Geek City (in North Liberty)

Hobby Corner has a thriving board game scene (30 - 40 people) which meets on Thursday nights weekly + one Saturday each month. Geek City runs a weekly board game night also. Not sure about Critical Hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vampire thread... I guess I've had a subscription to this post for almost ten years now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.