Subject: What comes first Question... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Pole
Canada
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Say for instance, you draw Monster Surge card but there are no portals open, like on the first turn for example. Do you still add a doom token even though no monster surge is occurring?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's always a Gate open on the first turn. You draw a Mythos as part of setup and you have to discard Rumours so this should ensure that you have a Gate.

However, it is possible to have no Gates open and have not won the game (rare, but it happens). In that case you have had a lucky escape and should thank the stars. No, not those stars, they aren't right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
There's always a Gate open on the first turn. You draw a Mythos as part of setup and you have to discard Rumours so this should ensure that you have a Gate.

Not necessarily. Some of the expansions have cards that are Headlines or Environments that do not open Gates. We had a game last week that started out with no gates opening, but added 2 to the Terror Track instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anoirtrou wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

Not necessarily. Some of the expansions have cards that are Headlines or Environments that do not open Gates. We had a game last week that started out with no gates opening, but added 2 to the Terror Track instead.

I think the FAQ in one of the instructions tells you to redraw until you get an environment or headline card that does have a gate on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
anoirtrou wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

I think the FAQ in one of the instructions tells you to redraw until you get an environment or headline card that does have a gate on it.
Yup, I'm pretty sure that the intent is for there to be a Gate open; after all, the whole point of the game is to Close/Seal Gates. Pretty dull if there's "nothing to do" on the first turn. But I can see how two Doomers on turn one might add a little "frisson" devil

But let's not derail yet another thread - I'm happy to eat crow if that's what people want, I'll even take my humble pie without custard - the key thing is that the OP wanted to know what to do if there are no Gates for a Monster Surge.

Actually, thinking about it, how can a Monster Surge happen if there are no Gates open? After all, a Monster Surge happens when a Mythos requires that a Gate open on a Location where there is already a Gate open. Is this some card effect that is being referred to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Actually, thinking about it, how can a Monster Surge happen if there are no Gates open? After all, a Monster Surge happens when a Mythos requires that a Gate open on a Location where there is already a Gate open. Is this some card effect that is being referred to?

And I thought you've played AH a few times .

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Strange_Sightings!_%283%29
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to add one more to the mix, we had game last week where Kate was in play and the first card opened on the Science Building. It was like having a free first turn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cappocchi
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
Arkham Horror, Amun Re, R-ECO, Ora Et Labora, Napoleonic Wars
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikePole wrote:
Say for instance, you draw Monster Surge card but there are no portals open, like on the first turn for example. Do you still add a doom token even though no monster surge is occurring?

You do not add a doom token during a normal monster surge. Why would you add one here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGotW Herald has an ability that makes monster surges add a doomer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP is referring to Strange Sightings. I play it as drawn, and don't keep drawing until I open a gate. I treat it as though the investigators get a jump on the cult and begin responding to their own premonitions or dreams.

Maybe cult activity has become so pronounced that they've tipped their hands, giving the investigators the initiative. It doesn't happen often enough to be over powered and brings an extra dimension of believability to the struggle.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first Mythos card of the game is supposed to open a gate.

However, it is possible (though unlikely) that a monster surge could occur when there are no gates. I think in that case, no monsters are placed, though a monster surge still occurs for purposes of the BGotW herald.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

And I thought you've played AH a few times .

http://www.arkhamhorrorwiki.com/Strange_Sightings!_%283%29
I have. I just don't happen to own BGotW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

Oh, you play easy mode devil .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:

Oh, man! You are missing out on the pleasures of three extra Dark Young in your monster cup...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And you don't need BGotW for Strange Sightings, that Mythos card also comes in KH, IH and MH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
And you don't need BGotW for Strange Sightings, that Mythos card also comes in KH, IH and MH.
Guess I just got lucky and never seen it - or at least not when there are no Gates open. I have no idea what the odds are, but pretty darn small is my bet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.