sechzger
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi fellow gamers,
my main gaming partner is my GF and because lots of threads are asking "what can i teach next to my GF" or something along these lines i am making these reviews.

Her gaming background right now is:
Lots of games of Puerto Rico, Tigris and Euphrats, Goa, Carcassonne, Hanabi, some games of Agricola and some other stuff.
So she is into gaming but hesitant to learn new games. She isn't a real BG-Geek yet and perhaps never will be, but she enjoys playing with me a lot.

My reviews don't try to go into game play or strategy. I just want to show our and especially her first impressions.

So let's start.

I was the one, as always studying the rulebook, and i have to admit that the rulebook isn't that good. If you try to look a certain problem up you will really have a hard time finding it.
On the other side you are offered a step for step guide into this game, which is in my opinion a good feature.

When i built up the game i was stunned how big the central board is. You will need a big table, but not Eclipse-table, for it
And i immediately knew her reaction.
She said right away that this looks complicated and she wouldn't like it. (Like she does with every new game.)
She didn't say anything about the tiny population or resource pieces and i don't think that it's that big of a problem.
But i can't really understand why they published this game with such a big central board compared to to the wooden pieces you have to handle all the time.

So after setting up i explained her the base game with added corruption and feeding phase. Rules wise she didn't have any problems to grasp the game.

The first couple of turns she didn't really know what to do and wasn't really into it.
After turn four she worked her way into the game and knew what she wants to do and really seemed drawn in. She even asked me to hurry up, because she already knew what she wants to do.
During play i asked her, already knowing the answer, if she still thinks bad about the game and she corrected her opinion.

After the game ended she asked if the game is already over and i told her, that for today this is it, but in future games we will have two more ages to go. So here we can see that we will have more plays coming...
I, too, feel that the game is way too short with just Age one cards, because you won't have accomplished a lot and some interesting aspects of the game won't appear up to this point.

Her final opinion when asked was that the game is too short laugh Yeah that's something i can fix. I am not sure what her final judgement of the game really is, but i am pretty sure that she's not as excited about the game as she was of other games like GOA or Agricola. But this might be the case, because we just played the short game. She enjoyed the game and we will bring this on the table again.

So in conclusion i can tell you that i don't see why you should shy away from this game.
The components are really ok and the rules aren't that hard to master, at least if you played some deeper games before.
If you want a beautiful looking game this isn't the game you want.

I look forward to my first full game and hope my GF feels the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Youngblood
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your review. I have yet to expose my GF to this due to the complexity and the time.

Her favourite games are agricola, ora et labora, and alien frontiers. With the exception of ora et labora she prefers her game to take less than 2 hrs from start to finish.

If I do introduce her to this excellent game, I will be sure to update this thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
recallme wrote:
After turn four she worked her way into the game and knew what she wants to do and really seemed drawn in. She even asked me to hurry up, because she already knew what she wants to do.

Hehehe - you know you've got them when that happens. Thanks for the report. This game is a favorite of my wife's also.

If you both get really hooked try the online version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm going to introduce this to my wife at some point. Start her off with the simple game as well. Right now we're both heavily into Agricola, it's "our" game. I feel that playing it with others (if she's not there) would be cheating on her, in a sense.

After we're both ready for a break from Agricola, I will bust this out. Already played it with others a number of times and it's an epic, amazing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo Pescia
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well once you get her crushed with a nice nappy/classic army combo you know you'll have played the last time.

I wish i could play such games with my GF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shimmin
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife loves TTA, but will really only play the no conflict variant to focus on pure civ building. It makes the game different, but I'll take it to get a heavier game on the table at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.