Subject: Does anyone else find fast food WAY too salty? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to Wendy's for lunch today; first time in about 6 months.
My gawd! They should rename it "Sodium Palace".
I couldn't eat a french fry without having to wipe salt off of my fingers afterward.

It's not just a "bad batch" made by an over-enthusiastic salt dispenser at the fry station either-- the chicken sandwich, which I considered to be amongst the best available-- was uber-salty too. And don't get me started on the "buttered" bun that they're using now.

Sorry for picking on Wendy's, if they are your favorite place. I don't get much fast food anymore but my last trips to Arby's, Dairy Queen, and A&W could qualify for this same rant. I imagine McDonald's is just as bad; I stopped going there a long time ago, though.

On a final note, my Wendy's takeout bag contained a straw (I didn't order a drink), three packets of ketchup, and-- get this-- two packets of salt.

My heart!!! yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Wendy's has gone downhill since Dave Thomas died. Their chicken sandwiches are now just processed slabs o' "chicken" instead of the boneless breasts they used to use, and the quality of the food overall has declined. I haven't had a burger from there in ages, so I don't know if those are difference, but the chicken sandwiches are no longer appealing.

A lot of places now equate salt with flavor, so I imagine it's a shortcut for attempting to make the food more flavorful. I've not noticed a huge difference in fast food overall (and if you're familiar with my content on BGG, you'll know I'm a bit of an expert on that topic), but the last time I had fries that were too salty to eat, they were from Wendy's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen
United Kingdom
Burton on trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, in fact most meals out are too salty, please let me add my own seasoning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you eat salty food regularly, then you start to expect it, and salty tastes "normal" while non-salty tastes bland. For fast food customers, that food will taste fine.

Personally, I don't touch the stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, if you ask for fries with no salt at Wendy's you always get fresh fries.

It pisses them off when you ask for fries with no salt and then ask for salt packets though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I find restaurant food to be way too salty in general. I find Panera Bread to be the worst offender.

A Wendy's 1/4 lb single as 1240 MG of Sodium, while a Baconator has 2020 MG.

A Panera Smokehouse Turkey & Bacon sandwich has 2460 MG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6 months is impressive though. If most of their food is too salty, you could always try their...."Salad" that somehow is even worse for you because of what they put in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't finish my last order of fast food fries (admittedly I was given more than I really wanted because I had to to get a big drink).

I can't help but hope I can start making my own, better food in the near future. But I have no idea how to do hamburgers right (and the soup mix I sometimes season them with is also, alas, almost pure sodium).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
But I have no idea how to do hamburgers right.

Ask the Chit Chat hive mind and you'll get tons of great ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
Michael Hopcroft wrote:
But I have no idea how to do hamburgers right.

Ask the Chit Chat hive mind and you'll get tons of great ideas.

The key to great hamburgers is great beef. I know Portland has places that sell locally grown, grass-fed beef, but you'll need to ask

GMOFreePortland.com
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
ii desu. It is good.
badge
No, I have no idea.
mbmbmbmbmb

where they are.

I simply add a little salt, a little black pepper, a little onion powder, beat them into pattie shape (I do six per pound of beef) and bake them on a cookie sheet in the oven (with a piece of parchment paper). 350 degrees, 12-14 minutes. They are super and I bet they would be mind-blowing on a grill.

Edit: spacing issues
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Burgers are among the easiest thing in the world to make. You can add spices as Jeff does, or skip it and garnish with things to add flavor instead. For my burgers, I usually just start with decent beef, no additions at all. Form into patties. Grill until doneness you want. Garnish and eat. You can do it in a fry pan as well, just drop the patties in the pan and flip them occasionally. I usually only make hamburgers in the summer though and somehow they always taste better from a grill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Wendy's has gone downhill since Dave Thomas died. Their chicken sandwiches are now just processed slabs o' "chicken" instead of the boneless breasts they used to use, and the quality of the food overall has declined. I haven't had a burger from there in ages, so I don't know if those are difference, but the chicken sandwiches are no longer appealing.

A lot of places now equate salt with flavor, so I imagine it's a shortcut for attempting to make the food more flavorful. I've not noticed a huge difference in fast food overall (and if you're familiar with my content on BGG, you'll know I'm a bit of an expert on that topic), but the last time I had fries that were too salty to eat, they were from Wendy's.

What if they sold burritos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

Then the burritos would suck, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Orangemoose wrote:

Then I'd have to try them. DUH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Then I'd have to try them. DUH.

I was guessing that might be the response. Let's see, it I eat approximately 15/day, I might win. Of course I would win posthumously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emmersonpoole wrote:

While I agree, we still eat too much salt, lets keep this in historical perspective. Up until refrigeration most people subsisted in winter months off of heavily salted foods. Salted fish, meat and veggies were staples. I don't remember the numbers, but the amount of salt people used to eat would make us modern people sick. Check out Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky for a way too detailed account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if they still do, but when I used to eat KFC in England, the fries never had added salt. You just took the sachets that you wanted to add yourself.

Burger King never had much salt in theirs either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirius23 wrote:
emmersonpoole wrote:

While I agree, we still eat too much salt, lets keep this in historical perspective. Up until refrigeration most people subsisted in winter months off of heavily salted foods. Salted fish, meat and veggies were staples. I don't remember the numbers, but the amount of salt people used to eat would make us modern people sick. Check out Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky for a way too detailed account.

A couple of points.
1) People in general were more active - hence sweated out more NaCl.
2) People in general died much younger than they do today. Eliminating those who died before adulthood the life-expectancy of men was around 48 in the middle-ages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me of the good old Theme Park computer game.

Increase the ice in your soft drinks to increase profit.
Increase the sugar in your ice cream to make your visitors more hyper.
Increase the salt on the fries to make people buy more soft drinks.
Increase the fat content of your burgers to increase profit.

Of course you could be classy (like I always tried) and aim for a super high-quality park, but then I'd always go bust.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harkleroad
United States
Butler, PA
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm confused. Where are all the people here to declare they are morally superior human beings because they never ever eat fast food?

Usually they're crawling around here, trying to find the highest elevation to maximum how much they look down their nose at us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Coase wrote:
I'm confused. Where are all the people here to declare they are morally superior human beings because they never ever eat fast food?

Usually they're crawling around here, trying to find the highest elevation to maximum how much they look down their nose at us.

Sorry I'm late.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mb
Unfortunately, everyone seems to think salt is a seasoning.

I'd eat Yves soy mock meats, except for the collasal colosal huge amount of sodium they insist is needed to "flavour" the "meat".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we go to McDonalds, we always ask for no salt on the fries.

I have heard that in the UK, you have to add the salt. Which is the way it should be. Fries should be unsalted, and then if you want salt, they can supply it.

my wife has high blood pressure, so she really has to watch her salt intake (and yes, we know that the burgers themselves are loaded with salt)

Many years ago, McDonalds had a burger called the Big Xtra I believe.. I think the xtra meant Xtra salt.. It was the saltiest piece of crap I have ever eaten. Villagers in Newfoundland were saying "we eat salted salmon daily, but damn, this burger is just too salty.."

At any rate, I suspect it's a way for you to buy more drinks.

This is extremely evident with restaurants such as "Montana's" and "The Outback"

I don't eat at either of these because they're food is way too salty. And Montana's food is crap, and their service is equally crappy.

When we went to the Outback the first time, they bragged so much about their "blooming onion". I've had one at a local restaurant called "Jakes" which was damn good. However the Outback proclaimed that theirs was the best around.

So sure.. let's see how good it was.

It was so incredibly salty, I could barely eat it. They had some cajun dip along with it, so I tried that, hoping that it could fight the salt taste. I think they added Salt to the dip.

It was terrible, the best blooming onion? Try the worst!!! I was so dissapointed. I think we left half of it there. The waitress asked how it was, just said "waaaay too salty".

It was obviously a veiled attempt to get us to buy more beer (even though we hadn't bought any).

About a year later, we went out with another couple, they wanted to go to the Outback, so we agreed. When we ordered, we stressed that no extra salt be added to ANY of our meals. We made sure to point this out several times to the waiter.

The other couple looked at us funny, thinking that we were a bit nuts.

So when our meals come, I actually thought my was ok. It wasn't amazing, but it didn't taste like it came from a salt mine. My wife said her's was ok too.

The other couple (who hadn't asked for no salt). Said to us "now we know why you asked for no salt." they too felt that their meals were extremely salty.

We have never been back since, and I don't think they have either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:

See, when I hear that "Wendy's has gone downhill" I have to wonder how far "down" can they go. Every time I eat at Wendy's, it's been just crap. If there is any fast food place I avoid like the plague, it's Wendy's. (except maybe their Frosties).

I also don't go to Burger King because it's equally crap, but if I had to choose, I'd probably go to Burger King over Wendy's, and I'm not just saying this because of Dave Thomas' passing. It's been like that as long as I can remember.

However I have a co-worker who swears it's the best burger place... I keep saying "really? Wendy's? You must travel to an alternate dimension when you enter that door, because Wendy's just sucks"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
If you eat salty food regularly, then you start to expect it, and salty tastes "normal" while non-salty tastes bland. For fast food customers, that food will taste fine.

Personally, I don't touch the stuff.

Also if you're a Smoker, then you need "salt" to just get some sort of "flavour" because Smoking kills your sense of smell and taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.