Dominion: Cornucopia» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timing Question on Remake rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Ford
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure this timing question can come up elsewhere but we had it with Remake. We were playing with Dark Ages cards (using the Shelters instead of Estates) and had Remake in the board.

One of my friends played Remake and chose the shelter that says when it's trashed draw a card as the first card of the action.

He felt that since the wording of Remake is "do this twice: Trash a card from your hand then gain a card costing 1 more" that the draw trigger on the trashing of the shelter should take place before the 2nd card is chosen (so he would draw and be able to choose that new card for the 2nd card in Remake).

To get the game going I said we were just going to follow the card (do everything it says first) and then any and all triggers that happened while doing those effects would apply afterward but I wanted to be sure we played it right.

This got more complicated because we also had Watchtower - he argued that if he could reveal the Watchtower mid-effect (to put the card he just gained from the Remake on top of his deck) then the trigger from the shelter should also resolve mid-effect so if we aren't allowing that then the first card he gained should just go to his discard pile and he'd only be able to reveal the Watchtower for the 2nd card gained.

Any thoughts? Apologies if this was already covered in another timing thread; I searched through them but didn't find this exact situation. And thanks for the help

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deathhq wrote:
He felt that since the wording of Remake is "do this twice: Trash a card from your hand then gain a card costing 1 more" that the draw trigger on the trashing of the shelter should take place before the 2nd card is chosen (so he would draw and be able to choose that new card for the 2nd card in Remake).

Sure.

1. Trash a card (Overgrown Estate).
2. Use the reaction: when you trash Overgrown Estate, draw a card.
3. Gain a card costing 1 more than the Overgrown Estate.
4. Trash a card (Card #2).
5. Gain a card costing 1 more than Card #2.

Quote:
To get the game going I said we were just going to follow the card (do everything it says first) and then any and all triggers that happened while doing those effects would apply afterward but I wanted to be sure we played it right.

No. You didn't. The "when trashed" effect occurs when the card is trashed. Not at some later time after you finish doing everything else on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Ford
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response!

We'll play it correctly in our next game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Kamber
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a general rule, try to understand dominion cards as a set of instructions that are followed one at a time. Any triggers that are activated, happen as part of the instruction that triggered them and BEFORE the next instruction

"Do this twice: Trash a card, then gain a card costing 1 more" should be litterally interpreted as:

- Trash a card from your hand.
--- Resolve any triggers resulting from the trashing (for example, drawing a card for O.E.)
- Gain a card costing one more than the current cost of the card you just trashed
--- Resolve any triggers (like Watchtower)
- Trash a card from your hand
--- Resolve any triggers
- Gain a card costing one more...
--- Resolve any triggers

To make matters slightly more confusing, a card that tells you to trash several cards as one should not be interpreted as several individual trashes, but as one multi-trash. So Chapel would be:

- Trash up to four cards from your hand.

In that sense, remake is kind of special because it does not tell you to trash two cards, but to do 'trash a card' twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deathhq wrote:

By the way, the fact that you don't do this is pretty directly stated in the Dark Ages rulebook:

Many cards in Dark Ages do something "when you trash" that card. These abilities function no matter whose turn the card is trashed on. The player that a "when you trash this" ability functions for is the player that had that card, regardless of whose card trashed the card. These abilities happen directly after the card is put into the trash, and can function in the middle of resolving effects for an Action card; for example, if a player plays Graverobber and uses it to trash a Cultist, he first draws three cards for trashing Cultist, then continues with resolving Graverobber and gains a card costing up to 8. Cards can sometimes leave a player's deck without being trashed, such as by being returned to the Supply with Ambassador (from Seaside) or passed to another player with Masquerade (from Intrigue). When two or more cards are trashed at the same time, as with Count, first trash them all, then pick an order to resolve things that happen due to trashing them. A "when you trash" ability is not itself a way to trash a card; some other card will be needed to actually trash the card and make the ability happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.