Subject: Kickstarter and Canada rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K. Sorbo
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I wanted to know from other Canadians what your thought is on the new Kickstarter shipping system.

I wanted to back Nothing Personal but it was $45+$20 to ship + taxes + duty which would probably total somewhere around $80-$90. I'm certain that if I wait for it to come out, it will cost less than that in a Canadian store.

This is due to the new KS policy of having only one "international" price option. Of course offering free shipping to Canadians is not an option as there is no cross border mail agreement, but given that we are tied for the closest international location, it is much cheaper to wait for the retailers to ship it in than to pay high shipping prices.

Anyhow, I know it's about supporting the game so it gets developed, and that's what I wanted to do, however I won't be supporting anymore KS board game projects due to this policy. It simply will be much cheaper for me to support it by buying it here when it comes out. Unfortunately, no bonuses though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the first I've heard of the new Kickstarter shipping system. Link to more details?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
1775: Rebellion has multiple shipping prices:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Vandelay
Canada
100 Mile House
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if there isn't some new policy about 1 international shipping charge, a lot of games on kickstarter charge $20 for shipping to Canada. Even at $15, it is expensive. Considering most companies only offer a $5 or $10 discount off retail, the game winds up costing more than regular retail price, after shipping is considered. For that reason, Ive stopped backing a lot of good looking games, and just waiting for them to hit normal channels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Sorbo
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This doesn't mean they are telling the truth, but Nothing Personal's page states:

What the deal with Canadian shipping?

"Kickstarter's new international shipping system only allows one setting...Free International Shipping or a fee to charge all backers outside the USA. If this is something you feel strongly about, we would suggest writing an email to Kickstarter to make your feelings known. If enough people object they may adjust their system to account for the smaller spike in shipping to NAFTA countries."

For most of the games that I look at now, there is a shipping charge below the "Estimated shipping date". This seems to be the official location for the shipping charge. These all say "x amt to ship outside of the US".

However, there are still some that say to add extra to your pledge to ship to Canada and more to somewhere else. This seems to be the old way and might still be the "roundabout" way to do it but maybe we will see this being phased out.

Maybe a kickstarter Canada on the way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Sorbo
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Here is more information posted on "Dungeon Heroes" and a way for sellers to continue to offer reasonable shipping charges.

Kickstarter has instituted a new system for shipping that makes it easier for International backers to add the proper shipping amount. Unfortunately this has put Canadian Backers in a bit of a pinch since we can't add a second level for shipping.

If you are a Canadian Backer simply state you are in the U.S., manually add your Canadian Shipping Charge and when we send out the survey you can include your Canadian address.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Brodeur
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any shipping fee over 5$ (for small boxes such as citadels) or 10$ (boxes similar to Ticket To Ride) is a big NO for me.

I want to support too. But I'll have to use the regular channel. Too bad because I'm sure the authors get much more money through Kickstart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory J
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mcbryen wrote:
Here is more information posted on "Dungeon Heroes" and a way for sellers to continue to offer reasonable shipping charges.

Kickstarter has instituted a new system for shipping that makes it easier for International backers to add the proper shipping amount. Unfortunately this has put Canadian Backers in a bit of a pinch since we can't add a second level for shipping.

If you are a Canadian Backer simply state you are in the U.S., manually add your Canadian Shipping Charge and when we send out the survey you can include your Canadian address.

Though I haven't seen many word it this way, this seems how most of the KS projects deal with Canadian shipping ATM.

And for OP, have you actually had to pay taxes/duty on a game shipped from the US before? Even backing rather expensive projects I've never been charged either taxes or duty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Sorbo
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It all depends on who it is shipped through. I have only backed 2 games and I only do so if the shipping to Canada is reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.