Popular Tags: OP_deleted [+] [View All]
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to stop about five lines into your post.

http://www.elearnenglishlanguage.com/difficulties/youryoure....

Can we get some line breaks in that wall of text, as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark F
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No offense, I don't know what kinds of easy-peasy co-op games you were playing, but you're not playing against the "basket", you're playing against the brains and wits of the game designers who, although went all "Good Guy Greg" and gave you an option to win, made sure you'll fight against the game, preferably while working as a team with friends, in order to do so.

I'm not an expert on co-op though so I'm sure others will be glad to recommend you co-op games which are definitely not easy but fun to play and most importantly give you that great "Phew, we WON!" feeling that I'm sure you're after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not a huge fan of co-op games (and for similar reasons, solitaire games).

Videogames, though, I definitely see the appeal. Instead of playing a game by yourself (videogames are great at this), play with a friend and share the experience. See:
Contra
Left 4 Dead

I especially like games like Bionic Commando Rearmed, where the difficulty scales down if your partner dies and scales up when he comes back in. From what I hear, Mage Knight Board Game does something similar with its co-op mode.

I'd like to add that, though I haven't played it, Escape: The Curse of the Temple is a co-op game that cannot be played solitaire, due to the realtime aspect of it. Space Alert is similar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith "Boaty McBoatface" C
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you don't play solo video games then, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you've never played a single player video game and enjoyed it?

Have you played Sudoku or a Crossword puzzle? How 'bout any type of puzzle?

Answer me this, what's the real difference in the below scenario:
I make a series of moves, now you have to analyze the correct response that's most advantageous to you

I create a game system "programmed" to make optimal moves. That game system makes some optimal moves, now you have to plan a series of moves against them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harmon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
The ultimate in Co-op Gaming.
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew thank god the Grammar police...I thought you'd never show up at a hastily typed post to show me the error of my ways...Quick sir that way there is a infinitive being split as we speak.

MY HERO yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harmon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh see the video game scenario.
Here lies my very point. I play video game as a solo time killer. If I have people to pit myself against why would I choose not too. The same goes for crosswords etc...these to me are not group activities. Co-op games for the purpose of Solo gaming for goofs I get BUT playing the same game next to each other but not competing why would that be any different than getting down on the floor and just playing with action figures together?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Scatliff
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
It's about time, too.
badge
I hate overtext but love irony.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSaint08D wrote:
a hastily typed post

Here is a hastily-typed reply:

If you want a well-presented reply then make your original post equally well-presented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tory G
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our family enjoys playing coop and non-coop games alike. Coop for us is just a fun way to enjoy the game, build teamwork as a family, and win and lose together. Many of my younger kids can't compete with the parents or older kids and coop games allows them to enjoy the game and not get beat down every time we play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Play Portal 2 Co-op and get back to me that there is nothing to gain from co-op gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm, I guess it comes down to people play games for different reasons. I for one love coops because, while I enjoy competition and I like to win, that's not the primary reason I play games. For me a lot of the fun of a game is in the system and the mechanics and many coops offer really interesting and thematic experiences in that regard (like LOTR LCG and Robinson Crusoe).

I'm not sure which ones you've played but I've found the ones I like to be far more than "preconstructed challenges where nothing really changes." For sure you're just playing against cardboard but if it's a well developed system then it at least somewhat feels like a real challenge, and in the best cases, a real adventure.

Maybe for you (and everyone you know apparently) the point of gaming is to best your opponents, so coops aren't likely to appeal to you or your group. But in an age where many people are playing video games by themselves I think the idea of direct competition against another person isn't as standard as it used to be and board games have changed to reflect that. Either way, one of the best things about gaming as a hobby is there seems to be something for everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
I'd like to add that, though I haven't played it, Escape: The Curse of the Temple is a co-op game that cannot be played solitaire, due to the realtime aspect of it. Space Alert is similar

You can totally, totally play Escape solitaire. To be honest, of the three or four times I've played it with my game group, the entire time I was thinking how much more I'd rather be playing it solo. As a co-op game it's very clunky and chaotic for my taste. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
There are (incorrect) ways to play co-ops so that nobody gets an intellectual challenge. However, when played properly—that is, allowing everyone to make their own decisions—a good co-op does offer real challenge and excitement.

I do, however, agree with you on one point: it would be awesome to cancel the Super Bowl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb

Do you also not get most role-playing games? A party of players work as a team to accomplish shared goals or overcome shared dangers. There is a GM but in most RPGs the GM is more of a referee than an adversary.

If you ablsolutely need something of a physical challenge in order to grasp at the concept of teamwork, how about a team of climbers and sherpas who work together to reach the top of a mountain. Not in a race, but just to get to the top. Is it a waste of time if they make it up because the mountain did not lose?

Re-reading the above, I get a sense that it might come across as insulting. Not the intent, but I can not think of another way to put it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSaint08D wrote:
Ahh see the video game scenario.
Here lies my very point. I play video game as a solo time killer. If I have people to pit myself against why would I choose not too. The same goes for crosswords etc...these to me are not group activities. Co-op games for the purpose of Solo gaming for goofs I get BUT playing the same game next to each other but not competing why would that be any different than getting down on the floor and just playing with action figures together?

If you don't see the difference between using structured rules to play a game and playing free-form with action figures, then no one here can help you.

You really don't see the value in playing even a video game coop? Some people also simply do not enjoy how cut-throat some of us can be in competitive games and want to just relax and have a good time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harmon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Smoo wrote:
TheSaint08D wrote:
a hastily typed post

Here is a hastily-typed reply:

If you want a well-presented reply then make your original post equally well-presented.

Lets be serious a few misused Your's does not make the post unreadable and I didnt line split at the time because I was unaware of how it would look when posted.

If thats my biggest crime Ill be ok. I think something that minor is just an excuse to play the Im smarter than you game...which is in fact not co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't convince you that co-op games are fun any more than someone can convince me that ear gauges look good or that hockey is entertaining to watch - if it's not for you it's not for you. I feel bad for you (as hockey fans probably feel bad for me), but trying to convince you otherwise (which really would just be offering up arguments for you to gleefully shoot down) is pretty pointless.

Also re: your post's legibility. It has nothing to do with grammar, and it is legitimately really hard to read. If you don't care enough to take 30 seconds to add a few line breaks to make your post more legible (and thus get more responses), I don't know what to tell you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSaint08D wrote:
Am I missing Something?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walsh
United States
Batavia
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Because teamwork is awesome and opens up all new varieties in gameplay and strategery.

Think of it this way...you and your friend are the Lakers, and the game plays the Celtics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harmon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orph wrote:
Play Portal 2 Co-op and get back to me that there is nothing to gain from co-op gaming.

I know what you're saying here...not a fan of the game though but I get your point...I still don't enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Galer
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
assuming this isnt mere trolling (which I am not convinced it isnt)..

You apparently think everything should be a zero-sum, winner takes all experience. Some of us quite enjoy working with other people to beat a challenge, solve a puzzle, etc.

and I find your personal comments on games quite at odds with your post...

e.g. Forbidden Island:

Simple to learn, Easy to play, low price tag. Great value for the price, nice artwork and sturdy pieces. Son and wife liked it = bonus since I got it because of them. I wasn't sold on the game before playing it but I have no complaints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still for the life of me cannot even grasp the concept of American football..

different strokes n all that..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should tell us why you feel playing games solo as a waste of time is ok, but playing games co-op is not?

And then explain how playing competitive games are somehow much more productive and not a waste a time.

The way I see it, all games are a time killer no matter how they are played. But for some reason, you've got it in your head that playing against someone is somehow accomplishing something that working together is not. What is it you feel you've accomplished? Just to get someone to say "I won and you didn't"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSaint08D wrote:
Orph wrote:

I know what you're saying here...not a fan of the game though but I get your point...I still don't enjoy it.

Well, that's all there is to it then, just not your cup of tea. Nobody can say that co-op games are objectively good, or that any diversionary activity is objectively fun. But, then nobody can say that any are objectively bad either, it's all down to opinions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Harmon
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmbrill77 wrote:

If you ablsolutely need something of a physical challenge in order to grasp at the concept of teamwork, how about a team of climbers and sherpas who work together to reach the top of a mountain. Not in a race, but just to get to the top. Is it a waste of time if they make it up because the mountain did not lose?

This I do get. In this case I see yourself challenging yourself. Overcoming a mountain is a true accomplishment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.