Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Danube 20» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Wagram 20 solo replay: the second day of battle (an illustrated AAR) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David McKenna
msg tools
Aren't you a little short for a Stormtrooper?
mbmbmbmbmb

Click here to withdraw to the first day of battle

Turn 8: July 06, Morning (French morale 9, Allied morale 3)

(random event = “Those Wretched Saxons!” Really only applicable if 9 is involved in any battle)
2 moves to engage III, with 3b and 4a both moving to engage Grenadiers (outside Leopoldau). Res then moves to engage Res 2, Dragoons move to Rutzendorf, Guard and Grenadiers both move (cross-country) towards Breitenlee, 11 moves towards Raasdorf and Grand Battery moves into Aspern.

3a attacks II, but are themselves routed 6 hexes (-1 French morale) back to Essling, making a hazardous retreat along the way. II then advances after combat. Res then attacks Res 2, only remaining engaged. 2 attacks III, but are forced to withdraw with III standing fast. Finally, 4a and 3b combine to attack Grenadiers, forcing Grenadiers to withdraw into Leopoldau, with 4a then advancing after combat.

(random event = “Hasten your pace!” No effect as Archduke John already arrived)
VIb moves to engage II, with John moving to Raasdorf and IV moving onto, then along, the road to Raasdorf. II then moves to Breitenlee, AG moves through Aderklaa and I moves to the road between Aderklaa and Leopoldau. Finally, VIa moves to Aderklaa.

Res counter-charges Archduke John, only managing to remain engaged.

VIb attacks II, also only remaining engaged. Res 2 and John combine against Res, forcing Res to withdraw with Res 2 then advancing after combat. II attacks both Grenadiers and Guard, remaining engaged. Finally, Grenadiers attack 4a but are forced to withdraw (-1 Austrian morale for elite unable to advance), with 4a moving into Leopoldau.

Situation at end of turn 8

Turn 9: July 06, Mid-day (French morale 8, Allied morale 2)

(random event = “The plan develops. Cards reshuffled)
8 finally arrives, but on the wrong side of the Danube river. 2a and 3b move to attack III, with Grand battery moving along their road. Finally, Dragoons move towards Glinzendorf.

II attacks John and VIb, but are broken outright (-1 French morale, +1 Austrian morale), with VIb advancing after combat. Res then attacks Res 2, forcing Res 2 to withdraw, losing command control and advancing after combat. Guards and Grenadiers attack II, forcing II to withdraw out of Breitenlee, with Grenadiers advancing. 2a and 3b attack III, routing III 4 hexes (-1 Austrian morale), with 2a advancing after combat. Finally, 4a attacks Grenadiers, only remaining engaged.

(random event = “Conflicting orders” French player chooses I as unable to move)
IV heads towards Gross-Enzerdorf, with AG and VIa moving down the road to Leoplodau.

Res counter-charges VIb, remaining engaged.

Res 2, John and VIb all attack Res, forcing Res to withdraw, with Res 2 losing command control and advancing after combat. II attacks Grenadiers (in Breitenlee), forcing Grenadiers to withdraw and also advancing after combat. Finally, Grenadiers and AG combine to attack 4a (in Leopoldau), also remaining engaged (-1 Austrian morale for elite unable to advance)

Situation at end of turn 9

Turn 10: July 06, Afternoon (French morale 7, Allied morale 1)

(random event = “Avec Moi, Mes Amis!” May commit reserves for free to one battle)
8 builds the bridge over the Danube, with 3b and 2a both moving to engage Grenadiers. Grand battery then moves to surround II with ZoCs, with 3a and Dragoons similarly surrounding IV.

Res 2 counter-charges Res, only remaining engaged.

3a and Dragoons combine to attack IV, with 3a committing their reserves (for free). This attack forces IV to withdraw: a hazardous retreat, which they fail and so break instead (+1 French morale, -1 Austrian morale), ending the game!

Situation at end of game - Dragoons have advanced after combat

Final thoughts

In this replay, at least, I think the Austrians were on a hiding to nothing (the game ended with the French morale level exactly where it started, at the ‘8’ mark).

A large part of that, I think, was due to the seemingly complete inability of the Austrian Grenadiers to win an attack: in pretty much all the cases where they had to attack, they failed to be able to take ground, which had the effect of steadily eroding the Austrian morale. A slight miscalculation of movement distances towards the end – allowing Austrian forces to move to a position where they could be surrounded – also didn’t help their cause, however!

I know I said before, but, truth be told, I’m still undecided if I prefer the new counter art or the old. The extra thickness of the new, however, is a definite plus in my book, even if they still are ‘sooty’!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks David. Great AAR. Yes the Austrians lost but they weren't in too bad of a position when it ended

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
David, just to be sure (I wasn't able to tell definitively from your narrative), but you weren't treating the Austrian Grenadiers as a "Guard" unit (i.e. spending morale to commit them and having them effected by the "Garde Recule" rule), were you? In this game they're just an elite unit, not guards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In this game they're just an elite unit, not guards

oops! blush

Might replay (correctly!) the last day if I get the chance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McKenna
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Morale over course of battle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.