Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing like family, friends and games...and music and beer...and pizza and bean dip...and actually having time to play games...
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning!: the following session report contains spoilers for packs #1-3 (all 9 minor cities placed, player signs the winner’s section twice, player eliminated). If you choose to read further, I’m assuming you’ve opened all of these packets, so nothing has been hidden. You’ve officially been warned.

Previously on Earth #11844: Tony and Matt had each won twice, and Gretchen and Jeremy had decided they’d had enough. Meanwhile, Zak seemed content to keep being the Joker and just watch the world burn.

I must begin with an apology. It’s been almost 6 months since this session took place, and while most of it has been sitting here on my Google Drive, a good chunk of it is being written from memory. I’ve done my best here, but I fear I may have given the winners and near-winners of these games short shrift. Once again, family and work have gotten in the way of board game journalism. It won’t happen again.

Two themes emerged this session, the first being revenge. Matt and I went down hard in both games, after splitting the first four wins between the two of us. This seems to have been entirely due to the will of the other three players. Much like with Samwise Gamgee, it was set and only death could break it. This is, of course, a Good Thing: temporary alliances and grudges are a key part of the Risk Legacy experience, just as much as any changes to the board or hidden content that has yet to be revealed.

Our second theme of the night was domination. After laying claim to the title of Alpha Dog Of Earth #11844, Khan Industries was the winning faction in both games, and have now won 5 out of 6 total games. Everyone who’s chosen them has won at least once. Although we don’t know any spoilers for unopened packets, everything I’ve read in the forums indicates that this situation will work itself out. For now, though, it’s definitely left us scratching our heads. Our Khan has the “extra troop in each territory where they have a HQ” power, and apparently it’s more powerful than we realized.

Game 5:

Matt chooses Enclave Of The Bear and starts in East Africa
Zak chooses Saharan Republic and starts in Eastern Australia
Jeremy chooses Imperial Balkania and starts in Siberia
Gretchen chooses Khan Industries and starts in Greenland
Tony chooses Die Mechaniker and starts in Argentina

Most of the action was in Europe and Asia, and consisted of a “three-way see-saw” battle between Jeremy, Gretchen and Zak. Matt and were never really in it, getting caught up in a pointless war in the Americas. (I don’t know about Matt, but I thought about trying to knock him out or eliminate him so some more of the blue comeback powers could start making appearances, but that never happened.) Gretchen eventually pulled out the win after almost 2 hours, much to our daughter Ella’s delight. Seriously, she smiled and started clapping and laughing immediately, and the rest of us couldn’t help but join in. (And after I named a city after her last time. Some gratitude...) For her reward, Gretchen chose to re-name the continent of Europe "Bleu Velvetica", in honor of one of her favorite movies, Blue Velvet, except with "Blue" spelled "Bleu", because, you know, Europe.

Game 6:

Zak chooses Khan Industries and starts in Southeast Asia
Jeremy chooses Enclave Of The Bear and starts in South Africa
Gretchen chooses Die Mechaniker and starts in Central America
Tony chooses Imperial Balkania and starts in Brazil
Matt chooses Saharan Republic and starts in Scandinavia

Zak finally went for the gold this time. All traces of the old “wild card” Zak were gone as he kept his eye on the prize, mixed it up with everyone and earned a solid win. He made a bold move and re-named Asia “Zakopalypse”.

The board following Game 6:

Random observations:

*All of the Mercenary scars were placed early on game 5, and on three successive turns. They’ve proven to be key so far. The only unplayed scars available to us right now are two Biohazards, which won’t be making it onto the board for a while.
*North America has turned into - and I apologize for the crude language here, but there’s no polite way to put it - a real shithole. Almost all of the territories are worth only 1 coin, and that Biohazard scar makes the whole place really unattractive.
*We now have two territories (India and Peru) that are worth 4 coins each, and two more that are worth 3, so the World Capitol could be making it appearance any time now. I also have a feeling we’lll be opening the “3+ missiles” packet soon.
*Homelands: Khan Industries’ is La Morsa Muy Fuega, and Imperial Balkania’s is Zakopalypse.
*Our next session is this Sunday, which is a big reason this is finally being posted now. Wish us luck.
*Finally, look what Jeremy and Matt did to my cards. Dicks.

If you'd like to comment on this report but want to discuss packets our group hasn't opened yet, please either be as vague as possible or use spoiler tags. For reference, our group has yet to open the following:

World Capital about to go on the board
3 Missiles used on the same combat roll
Someone is about to place 30+ troops and has a missile
German Bonus cards (all 3 Biohazard Scars have been placed)
DNOE

EDIT: Links to the rest of the series:

Games 1 & 2
Games 3 & 4
Games 7 & 8
Games 9 & 10
Game 11
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent report, Sir.

Our Earth's wars have been halted this fall due to a baby and a divorce. We have just a few more games until it is mine, all mine!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sprengeler
msg tools
You have nobody to blame but yourself for the lamentable condition of North America. If not for your reckless powermongering, it would be peaceful green land of sturdy yeomen and yeowomen, singing as they worked for THE CONTINUING GLORY OF MY EMPIRE!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing like family, friends and games...and music and beer...and pizza and bean dip...and actually having time to play games...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the , Augustus! That was awfully nice of you. Glad someone is enjoying reading this stuff.

Our wars/campaign/what-have-you have been delayed by multiple things: work, foreign exchange students, a new job for my wife, and wanting to play games with people outside of our Risk Legacy group. That sounds silly, I know: we could, of course, rotate some new people into the group. But I think things on our board are to a point that if someone missed a session, and came the next time and found out that they missed some packets opening, or that the continent they named had gotten nerfed somehow in their absence, they'd be really disappointed. So we're sticking with the same 5 for now.

Our group uses Google Plus to arrange a lot of our gaming sessions, and judging from the chatter this week, people are chomping at the bit to play. I can't remember the last time this many people were this excited over a session of any game. I'm hoping to win, but more importantly I'm hoping for a wild afternoon.

BTW, this is pretty funny: I started reading Matt's comment about how the condition of NA was my fault before I realized it was him. I was getting all puffed up, ready to defend myself against some anonymous Internet dude, but now I don't have to. The people of Ellaopolis, though, have much longer memories, and are not as forgiving as I am.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
When I designed this game, I was hoping for threads just like this one. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Um...wow. I don't know what to say, except thank you for the game, Rob, and thanks also for HeroScape, which is one of the other greatest games of all time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
Rob, all the thanks is to you.

I mentioned it elsewhere that last winter my wife and I played nearly two dozen "non-scarring" games in between our group's regular "scarring" games.

I really regret not recording those sessions. I would love to share just what a wiley, viscious general my wife is when playing Legacy. It is like going against Stalin while he is channelling the spirts of Sherman and Alexander. She is brutal.

Now that I think of it, we might just have to finish those last two games by ourselves...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played 5 games on one of my boards (and 4 on the other- but I don't remember off the top of my head the victory conditions). Each player has won one game (apparently we are very egalitarian), but Khan has only taken one victory out of the five. It has the +1 to HQ power.

I think what it has done for the players who have had Khan is make them over-confident. Knowing that they will get an extra troop on HQ, the players have been over-confident in assaulting enemy HQs and left themselves spread too thin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sprengeler
msg tools
Fat Tony wrote:
The people of Ellaopolis, though, have much longer memories, and are not as forgiving as I am.

It wasn't until I turned the city you'd named after your daughter into a charred waste that I learned my wife would kinda like me to name something on the board after her. So now I not only have to win big enough to rename another continent, I have to play in such a fashion that you can't to unto me what I did unto you.

The potential unraveling of the Zak-always-fights-Jeremy dynamic is something that should worry us all. Heaven only knows what they'll name continents if they get the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
I've played 5 games on one of my boards (and 4 on the other- but I don't remember off the top of my head the victory conditions). Each player has won one game (apparently we are very egalitarian), but Khan has only taken one victory out of the five. It has the +1 to HQ power.

I think what it has done for the players who have had Khan is make them over-confident. Knowing that they will get an extra troop on HQ, the players have been over-confident in assaulting enemy HQs and left themselves spread too thin.

We're not really worried about our Khan situation, because 4 of our 5 players have won with them (our 5th player hasn't tried them yet). We've kind of chalked it up to one of those weird things that will probably come to an end eventually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sprenge777 wrote:
Fat Tony wrote:
The people of Ellaopolis, though, have much longer memories, and are not as forgiving as I am.

It wasn't until I turned the city you'd named after your daughter into a charred waste that I learned my wife would kinda like me to name something on the board after her. So now I not only have to win big enough to rename another continent, I have to play in such a fashion that you can't to unto me what I did unto you.

You could always place your own Major City. The only continents left to name on our board are North America and Africa.

Quote:
The potential unraveling of the Zak-always-fights-Jeremy dynamic is something that should worry us all. Heaven only knows what they'll name continents if they get the chance.

We can only take comfort in knowing there will at least never be a Jeremy+Zak alliance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Adams
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
...at least, you HOPE, there will never be an alliance devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony D.
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE: we've played games #7 & 8 now. While a full session report along soon-ish (especially now that we know Mr. Daviau is reading cool), you should know that Khan's win streak has ended. It remains to be seen if they will regain their footing, or if other factions will rise up and even out the win counts a bit.

Also, we opened the 3+ missiles packet. Just..geez. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.