Joe G
United States
long island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can see the what my friends and I call "The Southern Battle" here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/881574/southern-4-player

we find it more fun than the traditional 4 player game.

We started by drawing flipped over raid orders which were shuffled about to pick our houses. I drew Baratheon. I started out nicely by not attacking anyone, just taking up position to take KL and support myself up in the Narrow sea. So i moved 1 ship into the Narrow Sea & 1 into Blackwater bay (i think thats right). Played *CP on Dragonstone and didn't move my footman and just CP there. I mustered a boat in Shipbreakers bay and in the port at Dragonstone with my *CP.

The cliff notes version is i attempted to take the reach from Lannister early, and was thwarted. luckily there were plenty of Mustering cards due to lots of Winter is Coming cards being drawn. I ended up with 4 supply most of the game after moving units around and taking the Eeyrie and The Twins.

After sitting pretty in KL for a while and getting almost all my power we bid on the tracks Tyrell and I ran the clash of kings and he took the thrown and sword, as all i wanted was the Raven, and we kept it that way the next time. so as i realized i had an opening due to Tyrell beating on Lannister a lot i took my cue and moved into attack mode, i had 3 Knights in KL supported in Blackwater and a knight, siege and footman in Craclaw Point. Moved them into West into the Reach from KL and from Crackclaw i moved westward til i sat outside lannisport.

On turn 8 i struck South of the Reach and took my 7th castle. I held KL and They EEyrie from turn 2 and 3, with Dragonstone thats 3 easy castles and it was only a matter of time waiting gathering my power til i struck the wounded Lannister and took Tyrell out due to him moving first and not having any support surrounding him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice agressive game. I have never played this variant, but it seems as if Tyrell may be to easy of a mark by utilizing Sunset Sea and Golden Sound as a single region. Does it seem that Tyrell is a fast early mark?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe G
United States
long island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i could see how you would think that, and depending on how Tyrell plays it it can be, but there is still another water space separating them,which i cannot think of the name of, so if Tyrell hops out early they can keep Martell and Lannister both at bay for a while. i have actually won as Tyrell 2x in this variant and other have won with them at least 1 other time. (We just started keeping track of victories yesterday.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony D
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talezine wrote:
Nice agressive game. I have never played this variant, but it seems as if Tyrell may be to easy of a mark by utilizing Sunset Sea and Golden Sound as a single region. Does it seem that Tyrell is a fast early mark?

I was the Tyrell player in this specific game (a few times prior as well) and have never had any issue as far as being an "easy mark".
Moving out into West Summer Sea and keeping ships for support in the Redwyne Straights generally acts as a good enough security blanket to keep people honest when dealing with this situation. Also if you get an overly aggressive Lannister Navy a lot of times they will end up leaving themselves exposed for a Tyrell (or anyone else) attack on Lannisport with little to no sea support to help them, this is what I was hoping would happen in the last game until Joe swooped in for the win.
Having a general understanding of the tendencies and playing styles of the people you are playing with certainly helps as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.