Popular Tags: [View All]
Randall Rasmussen
United States
Bennington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Cowboy Bebop
badge
I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive. I have to do it, Faye.
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the Arkham Horror expansion Dunwich Horror at our local Half Priced Bookstore last weekend for $25 and figured that was about the best I was going to pay for it.

It was sealed securely in plastic and looked like new. The HPB price sticker was inside the plastic so I knew it wasn't the original shrink wrap.

When I got it home and unwrapped it I discovered WHY they had gone to the trouble to seal it in plastic. It stunk so badly of smoke that it will take years for it to air out.

This seems extremely deceitful to me. I wrote to the company and their answer was to explain that I had a week to return it for a refund or 30 days for store credit. I could have figured that out myself.

Maybe I'm over reacting, but from now on I will be very leary of any item that is wrapped from their store.

On a side note: does anyone know a good way to get the smoke smell out of a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jimmy ryan
United States
Jamestown
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
febreze may help. Perhaps a light spray over the pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
Omnigamer and Devourer of Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To play devil's advocate, they may not have had any malicious intent in mind. They may have just shrink wrapped it to make sure that the box didn't open or that people didn't remove items from the box once they had inventoried the contents.

I think they are being fair in offering a full refund for the product.

In general though, I'd be upset as well at getting a product in that condition. I would hope that they'd be more discriminatory about the games they accept, but it may just be a case of buyer beware in the case of used games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Rasmussen
United States
Bennington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Cowboy Bebop
badge
I'm not going there to die. I'm going to find out if I'm really alive. I have to do it, Faye.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can probably pitch the box, but the bits are another matter.

I am considering spraying febreze on a cloth and then wiping the board, bits and cards lightly to see if that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Rasmussen
United States
Bennington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Cowboy Bebop
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
abrocker wrote:
To play devil's advocate, they may not have had any malicious intent in mind. They may have just shrink wrapped it to make sure that the box didn't open or that people didn't remove items from the box once they had inventoried the contents.

I'd like to believe that it was innocent, but they don't normally shrink wrap their used games. I believe this is the first time I've seen a used game that you couldn't open and inventory. (very important when you buy a used game)

And it is absolutely not possible for them to have missed the smell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dump some baking soda and activated charcoal in the box, seal it back up, and leave for a week or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Rasmussen
United States
Bennington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Cowboy Bebop
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dochogan wrote:
Dump some baking soda and activated charcoal in the box, seal it back up, and leave for a week or so.

Won't the charcoal leave a mess?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking at your avatar and reading your complaint made me laugh. It is amazing how the smell gets into everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Rasmussen
United States
Bennington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Cowboy Bebop
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglum01 wrote:
Looking at your avatar and reading your complaint made me laugh. It is amazing how the smell gets into everything.

LOL! Noted!

But, in my experience, anime cigarette smoke doesn't stick to real world objects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a large ziploc bag and (clean) kitty litter (with charcoal) to get the smell out of my copy of Through the Desert. It took about a month but did a great job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atticus Gifford
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dunwich Horror reprint is due out within the next few weeks. It goes for 32.99 brand new on CSI, so it doesn't seem worth all the effort for questionable results. I'd just return it, probably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Rasmussen
United States
Bennington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Cowboy Bebop
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
I used a large ziploc bag and (clean) kitty litter (with charcoal) to get the smell out of my copy of Through the Desert. It took about a month but did a great job.

This seems like an easy fix. I've got a big zip lock bag at home and kitty litter with charcoal should be available and cheap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Rasmussen
United States
Bennington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Cowboy Bebop
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
atticus wrote:
The Dunwich Horror reprint is due out within the next few weeks. It goes for 32.99 brand new on CSI, so it doesn't seem worth all the effort for questionable results. I'd just return it, probably.

You are probably right, but if they are just going to wrap it up and sell it to someone else, I have a problem with that. Someone somewhere along the way is probably going to have to bite the bullet and de-stinkify the thing. That person may not know about the BGG community and the help thats available for these kinds of problems. I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schell
Canada
Unspecified
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Had issues with local thrift stores and used games, had some that come out smelling like mildew

its the risk you take if you find a game for 2.99 lol

(i know its a bit different)

I wouldn't say they where trying to do be deceitful but i have found with the local thrifts they tend to tape the boxes shut so that the pieces don't go flying everywhere when a kid decides to make a mess. If it is true and there is a reprint coming for 33$ i would just return it and buy the reprint
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not even if they themselves were smokers? Don't be too surprised I used to have a roommate that couldn't smell anything due to constant smoking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
flag msg tools
mb
You have 1 week to try to de-stink it with the various methods recommended here, and if it still stinks take it back.

It would be worth a few more dollars to buy it new and fresh... you will always know how the stinky one used to smell, and always be testing it with a sniff here and there to see if the smell is back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Rasmussen
United States
Bennington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Cowboy Bebop
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
I have the solution! We have had problems with our fireplace stinking up the downstairs.

Put a small bowl of WHITE VINEGAR in a large box with the AH: Dunwich expansion in it. close it loosely. Then, next day, let the game air out. In a day or two both smells will be completely gone.

My grandma taught me this one, it's great.

So far I've got:
1) kitty litter with charcoal in a bag
2) white vinegar in a box
3) febreze on a rag

If I mix all that stuff together and it doesn't explode I must surely have the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Rasmussen
United States
Bennington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Cowboy Bebop
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stlm wrote:
... you will always know how the stinky one used to smell, and always be testing it with a sniff here and there to see if the smell is back.

Perhaps this is the smell of the Ancient One and it will continue to come back until the gates are finally sealed for all eternity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jubii2 wrote:
I'd like to believe that it was innocent, but they don't normally shrink wrap their used games.

They offered you a refund, so you really have no business questioning their innocence. Go get your money back and stop bagging them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jubii2 wrote:
superflypete wrote:
I have the solution! We have had problems with our fireplace stinking up the downstairs.

Put a small bowl of WHITE VINEGAR in a large box with the AH: Dunwich expansion in it. close it loosely. Then, next day, let the game air out. In a day or two both smells will be completely gone.

My grandma taught me this one, it's great.

So far I've got:
1) kitty litter with charcoal in a bag
2) white vinegar in a box
3) febreze on a rag

If I mix all that stuff together and it doesn't explode I must surely have the answer.

You put that stuff together and you may need a launch code.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the stink sucks but you can take it back and get a full refund. It is questionable why they would even take a game that smells of smoke - but I doubt it is corporate policy to sell stinky games.

If I were you I would just take it back. The smell of cigarette smoke is almost impossible to get rid of completely. I guess it depends on how sensitive your nose is to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Geller
United States
Agoura Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have used Bounce Fabric Sheets.

Place them in the box and then close for a few days. It seemed to work.

No more smell

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jullie
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jubii2 wrote:
abrocker wrote:

I'd like to believe that it was innocent, but they don't normally shrink wrap their used games. I believe this is the first time I've seen a used game that you couldn't open and inventory. (very important when you buy a used game)

And it is absolutely not possible for them to have missed the smell.

Just to comment on this one item: I've shopped at HPBs quite a bit and noticed a trend toward wrapping all of their games. They used to just use packing tape to "seal" the game (to avoid losing contents), but I've seen them move to wrapping them up more and more. I don't think they were trying to hide the smell from you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kaehler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I normally do to get the smell of smoke out is put a few dryer sheets inside the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What stinks at Half Price Books lately is their buy offers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.