Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received an order from a fairly reputable game company and will admit the contents inside were packaged really well. There was enough packing peanuts to adequately protect the contents and everything was spaced out well.

However, during my unpacking, I noticed a game (Vanuatu) had a big crease on the side. Due to the great packing job, I do not think the game was damaged in transit. It seems more likely that the game was shipped with the existing crease. Which leads me to the following question:

Is it unreasonable to expect to receive a "New" game in near pristine condition or do you consider creases, scratches and the like acceptable casualties when having games shipped?

Note: I've already opened the game and have no desire to return it (mostly because I really want to play it sooner rather than later), plus I really like the OLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I play games if it isn't wrecked I don't care.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
A game is shipped to you...
I don't care about its condition as long as I can play it.
A major crunch or cut wouldn't bother me if the contents are fine.
Minor scrapes or dents are no big deal.
The box needs to be mint.
      192 answers
Poll created by Syvanis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Sautman
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the OLGS store you are discussing offer dinged and dent games at a discount? If he does and you were charged full price for a normal copy, then I would feel a bit irked.

That being said, I have ordered many dinged and dented games from OLGS to save money and many of them show up with barely perceptible damage. As a comparison, when I order games directly from my local game store, they usually show up with dings that are worse than the dinged and dented copies I bought from OLGS. In addition, considering the number of dinged and dented copies of games I see at some OLGS, I guess they receive a fair number in that condition. There are also a few game companies that sell games with thin covers or big flat boxes that are easy to dish that routinely show up with damage.

I personally don't get that upset about minor box damage, but know that some people I have traded with are about as picky as record and comic collectors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, it wasn't Tom (Boards & Bits) and this particular OLGS doesn't have a "damaged" category.

On an aside, I've also read that Tom has ridiculously strict criteria as to what is considered new, slightly damaged and the like. There are so many mentions of people buying Ding/Dent copies and not noticing any damages.

Maybe that's why he's my preferred retailer....hmmmm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon
United States
Christiansburg
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Play more Inis
mbmbmbmbmb
Minor dings and dents are ok, I guess.

Major crushing and creasing is right out. I'm buying a new product. I'll give it enough wear myself without someone else doing half the work for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Shepherd
Canada
Tecumseh
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I do the majority of my OLGS ordering through CSI, and several times my games have come damaged in some way or other. The Fedex/UPS box is squished or they were packaged poorly. I shoot an e-mail to the company and they send out replacement copies. While I do buy games to play I also like to see a nice box sitting on my shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had a game order where two of the games arrived damaged. The shipping box looked like it had been damaged in shipment. These were fairly significant creases, on one game the impact had actually torn all the way through the game box.

I contacted the seller and they immediately sent out two replacement games. When the games arrived, I sent back the damaged games in that box with the selling company paying for the return.

If the game arrived damaged, I'd contact the selling company and request an exchange or a return. They may have not noticed it when they packed. Just don't open it so you can return it in new condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
If the don't have a ding and dent section, I normally don't mind 'some' damage. I guess it's hard to really draw the line though.

I've only complained once and that was the 'box' to Master Thieves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M Duran
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
ever this day be at my side, to light and to guard, to rule and guide.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm OCD even about shrink wrap.

About a year ago my import copy of Drum Roll had its shrink torn on the front of the box. When I opened it recently I noticed the art where the cover was exposed through the shrink wrap was scratched/scraped. The art was there but it was a rough area that was obviously gouged, kind of like a skinned knee.

I was recently at BGG.Con and played CO2, I immediately went to the merchants area to look for it. Stephen Bonnocore himself was selling the game to me. There was two copies left, one had the shrink torn the other didn't. He handed me the torn shrink one, and I asked him for the shrink intact one. He laughed but he did.

Game companies are very good about making things right. Contact the publisher and they will tend to make things right. I have had positive experiences with all the ones I've contacted and they took care of me. Game sellers also do their best to make things right and when they can't they refer you to the publisher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Racheal
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't think it is unreasonable at all to expect undamaged game boxes. My example is always this... If I buy a hair dryer, I throw the box away. If I by a game not only do I keep the box but I display it, if you will. Minor damages can often ruin the integrity of the box and if the game sees lots Of play and goes through lots of hands it's lifespan could be cut a bit short. I guess, ultimately, it is what you are willing to accept. I am a bit particular though. There are some really beautiful boxes that would really upset me if they came damaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A gouge or gash is okay with me as long as I get it at a somewhat reduced price. A box is a box; if the structural integrity is still mostly intact, I don't really care otherwise. If the game were advertised as new, though, I'd consider a gouge or deep enough scratch to warrant a replacement. Most sites I have been to list "New" condition as "undamaged" somewhere in the condition description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.