Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there are a LOT of road questions on here, and some of the info conflicts. A video I just watched on BGG had roads rules different than I understood. SO, asking this now:

1.) To build a road, you must have two cities in regions adjacent to each other, and the road goes between them (probably on the borderline between them). Correct?

E.g. C-R-C (C = city, R = road)

2.) You can not build two cities more than one region apart, and then buy two roads and connect them across the empty region(s) in between. Is that correct?

E.g. C-R-E-R-C (C = city, R = road, E = empty region)

So wherever I have a road, I need to have two cities on both of the adjacent regions whose border the road traverses.

Is that accurate? In the video, the speaker showed a city connecting via road to another city three regions away, with roads crossing all the borders of the empty regions in between.

Thanks again. Really liking the game, just want to make sure I have the rules correct.

[Edit. Apologies for accidentally putting this in the "general" thread. It should have been in Rules section]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it depends what Classic rules set you are playing.

If it's the original Classic, then

Page 4 of the rules states:

Roads
Roads serve as connectors between
cities or fortified cities in adjacent
provinces
owned by a single player.

The bolding is mine. In the second example above the empty region has no city and so is not adjacent.

Page 11 of the rules states:
If you decide to destroy a city, the
whole city (fortification included) must
be removed from the board. A
fortification alone cannot be removed.
All roads leading to the city from
adjacent provinces must also be removed
from the board.

So, roads can only be built between cities in adjacent provinces and are destroyed if the city is removed for any reason.

Now the rules changed when the game was reissued and the FAQ states.

Q9. Can you explain how Roads work? They aren’t the same as they
were in the Milton Bradley edition.
A: That’s right, roads have changed a little. Basically, roads now cost a player to build and are not generally removed. The rules ( p. 5 ) are
a bit confusing, so here’s a clearer discussion you can use:
“Roads serve as connectors between Cities (fortified or not). Roads may
only be built between two Cities in adjacent provinces, owned by the same player, and have a Basic cost of 10 Talents, which increases with Inflation.
Roads cannot connect Cities separated by sea zones or straights (e.g.
Sicilia and Neapolis). Once roads are built, they are not removed from the board as long as they connect two cities (no matter how distant).

So the tactic to use when the numbers of cities is scarce is to build three cities in a row, destroy the middle one and then rebuild it on the other side of one of the remaining cities.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the clarification. By these rules (and I will use the updated rules from the FAQ), the video I watched didn't show this, so it's good to have this reinforced to me.

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I appreciate it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.