Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Blevins
United States
Port Charlotte
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an idea.

I always wonder why so few companies put there games online. It just seems like a natural extension.

Would you Kick it, and if so how much would you be willing to pay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gillette
United States
New Richmond
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thadrine wrote:
Just an idea.

I always wonder why so few companies put there games online. It just seems like a natural extension.

Would you Kick it, and if so how much would you be willing to pay?

Facebook app? Never.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconded. Setting aside my concerns about KS in general, I would really want my TI to be a dedicated site so I can choose whether to be on Facebook at the same time or not!

Plus you're limited in input types by the sort of things Facebook can embed.

Plus your market is reduced by the number of people who just generally hate Facebook (who are legion). So I think while putting more games online in a dedicated form is a good idea, though probably not profitable in the long run, I doubt Facebook makes a good platform.

EDIT: Also, it's been a while since I played, but I can't imagine having to program all those bloomin' action cards would be much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, no and no.

First: I don't know TI so I have no desire to see an online app.

Second: I don't kickstart. There is no game I need so desperately that I can't wait for it to hit the market.

Third: Even if I wanted a TI app I certainly wouldn't want it to be on Facebook. *shudder* Why would you even consider coupling your app to such a widely hated platform. There is no functionality that you *need* from it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At least this way you could retaliate to your "friends" with their farmville stuff by sending them TI "invites" whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolf
Switzerland
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game needs sitting around a table and lying, threatening and deceiving to be what it is. You might program the mechanism, but will lose what makes it TI3 in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Lynn
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll agree with the general sentiment that it would be nice to see more games online.

But ick, Facebook, no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Blevins
United States
Port Charlotte
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmadgirl wrote:
I'll agree with the general sentiment that it would be nice to see more games online.
But ick, Facebook, no.

What is your general dislike of Facebook? It seems like a perfect venue to build a community.

I have tried for years to play games online with friends on sites like Yucata, but they just will not log into it. They do however check facebook several times a day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you talking about making an app that mirrors the TI board game ? Or an online game using the TI game setting?

There is certainly a difference there, that’s the first issues

The 2nd would be why would anyone pay for a facebook app? The games are free, which is why companies like Zynga are failing miserably because people are tired of ads and being bombarded with in game purchases requests

As to why more board game companies don’t get into online game development or more specifically facebook game development is because they are two different markets with not that much overlap in their audiences and the fact that the app game development market is saturated, companies putting games on facebook are failing left and right, most app games don’t make any money, most game companies making apps don’t make any money unless they are producing dozens and dozens of games.

Everyone sees Angry Birds or Farmville as big hits that made money but doesn’t realize how many other games that Rovio and Zynga produced that went no where and how both companies almost went out of business at one point, well Zynga is still heading down that path.

Do you follow the video game/social markets at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wil
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Read more comics!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I certainly would if the price was reasonable and I was getting something of value out of it beyond charity and making it happen.

As for Facebook haters, I loathe Facebook as a general rule of thumb but I also understand how Facebook is a fantastic tool for many and a fantastic way to get in touch with people for others. For me though, blech.

That said, I'm not silly enough to pass up playing a great game if that's the venue it is at. I can always make a friendless account just to play the game. In my opinion, if the game is good, most haters will do this as it's absurd to pass up a great time simply for not liking the venue. That's like not going to a gaming con at a church because you're not religious. It's all about gaming while you are there, not preaching. The venue is invisible as would Facebook be in this scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thadrine wrote:
What is your general dislike of Facebook? It seems like a perfect venue to build a community.

So would Steam. I ignore pretty much any and all app requests on Facebook. I don't see a FB app version of TI3 being worth my time. FB apps tend to be on the cutesy side and for TI3 I would rather have something that mimics the real thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Facebook, Hell NO...

Put it on Steam. Make it a real application/game and then lets talk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thornton
United States
Canby
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd Kickstart a Goku App!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Blevins
United States
Port Charlotte
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:

Put it on Steam.

You see that was my first inclination, but no one in any of my groups has even heard of Steam.

I tried to tell people about all of the great deals during the summer sale, and all I got was a glazed look in their eyes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Baker
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thadrine wrote:
atraangelis wrote:

Put it on Steam.

You see that was my first inclination, but no one in any of my groups has even heard of Steam.

I tried to tell people about all of the great deals during the summer sale, and all I got was a glazed look in their eyes.

People who play games on Facebook aren't likely to have the patience to learn TI3. People who play games on Steam are more likely to give TI3 a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott M.
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thadrine wrote:
atraangelis wrote:

Put it on Steam.
...no one in any of my groups has even heard of Steam.

Step 2: Get new groups!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
As aprogrammer myself, i don't envy the company charged to make a Twilight Imperium boardgame videogame.
I look at the ton of action cards, political cards and optional rules in the game, not to mention expansions, and i shudder about AI programming.

But if it existed, please NOT on that horrible, pointless, spammed-filled thing called Facebook. Make it an Android app. Heck, i'd even buy an iOS tablet just for that game if it wasn't on Android (even if i really don't like iOS).

If there's ever a Twilight Imperium videogame, then it's going to be based on a more streamlined Twilight Imperium 4th edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
As aprogrammer myself, i don't envy the company charged to make a Twilight Imperium boardgame videogame.
I look at the ton of action cards, political cards and optional rules in the game, not to mention expansions, and i shudder about AI programming.

+1. Card driven games add lot more overhead compared to games that have little to no cards in them. Something that is pure action points and dice is far easier to produce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't kickstart it, but I wouldn't ignore it out of hand just because it's on Facebook. Thunderstone on FB is pretty good! It's not *perfect* but the convenience of automated card management outweighs the few issues I have with it, enough so that I've paid for some expansions. So a good game CAN be done on the platform.

Having said all that, TI does not seem like it would be a good fit for Facebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Blevins
United States
Port Charlotte
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
atraangelis wrote:
thadrine wrote:
atraangelis wrote:

Put it on Steam.
...no one in any of my groups has even heard of Steam.

Step 2: Get new groups!

I would love to do so. Florida is such a different culture. And I already drive over an hour every Sunday as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.