Popular Tags: [View All]
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Shogun and Eclipse are both tremendous games, IMO. However, for their length, they don't/won't get much table time. I really enjoy the economic aspects of both games, though they operate differently. I like the area control aspects, and the exploration of Eclipse is a lot of fun for me. I like the minimized combat in Shogun. The combat in Eclipse is fun too, and I like that there's only as much emphasis on combat as you want to have.

Are there any games that are like either of these two but play in up to 2 hours?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Crane
United States
Sherman Oaks
CA
flag msg tools
mbmb
Exodus: Proxima Centauri.

Your first play through won't be 2 hours (especially if it is a big group), but you could probably do a 4-player game in that length of time once everyone knows the game. It does place a heavier focus on combat than Eclipse does (though combat is simpler), and doesn't have the exploration aspect, but has all the other 4X stuff you could want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande has the area control aspect, but it lacks the economic and combat aspects of the other games you mentioned. I really enjoy it and it can be played in under 2 hours. I have expansions for it but I have not played them yet. I'm not sure how much they add to the base game.

Imperial has area control, economy, and combat and it's a really good game. I have never played it with a large group, but I suspect the games could run pretty long with a large group. With a smaller group, you might be able to squeeze in a game in under 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hype Buster
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer imperial and Cyclades over shogun so you should really look at these 2. I'm waiting on eclipse to get to my home can't wait

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.