Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wrapped my head around most game situations and I think the feel of the game comes to as very realistic. Still there's one situation that may happen that seems to me a little gamey. Here's the situation: 2 opposing infantry squad in a previous turn engaged in melee and casualty reduced each other. In the present turn they must do both a rout check. The side that is first by scenario rules fails the morale check and gets its unit off the game. The surviving enemy unit screams delighted and also gets suppression reduced to yellow only becaus its side was second and not for its own merit! Well Isnt this gamey?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
The side going first in a scenario is not randomly chosen, it is usually the side that is on the attack. While I wrote the rule that way for simplicity sake, I was also intentionally penalizing the attacker. I figured it was part of representing the difficulty of carrying out an attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le-Roy Karunaratne
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't own the game (yet). But if initiative is the same every turn you would know the risks involved with that situation before it occurs.
From a thematic point of the view the attacker would rout first for a number of reasons, for example if you're hurt and know the enemy is hurt but there could be another ten enemies behind him you would run away. Whereas the defender usually has more information about the attacking strength and is in a covered position, so is less likely to rout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
beresford dickens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides which the attacker usually starts with more units and certainly has more after the defender has been whittled down. This means that he can play the 'slow bicycle race' and make the defender commit all his units before choosing where to melee and in what strength, safe in the knowledge that the defender cannot reinforce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But if initiative is the same every turn you would know the risks involved with that situation before it occurs.

It is.

A number of thoughts went thru my mind when deciding to have the attackers rout first.

- It can add to an attack slowing down and wearing out and I liked that aspect.
- It may be stereotypical (I'm not sure anyone knows for sure), but a little adversity could cause an attack to pause and be satisfied with what they had gained already. If they had just pressed the attack, they would have.... But they often didn't and I wanted to make it dangerous to press. There was a little design for effect here.
- I wanted to encourage limited defender counterattacks. Again, this could be stereotypical, but it seemed as if a successful counterattack could really impact troops psychologically. Maybe it was the momentum switch? Plus, the game was more fun to play this way (giving the defender a slightly better chance at counterattacking).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.