Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was searching for a pdf of the classic rules and quite by accident stumbled across a copy of the original rules, which I have never read. Given the range of variants offered by FFG I was surprised to see that there were some interesting looking variants in the original that hadn't made it into the new version.

In essence they seem to be:

* Increased playing interaction through combat (likely rare) or stealing an destroying other players resources (sounds much more interesting).

* An aggressive alien invading the cluster, adding penalty markers as they go and which can actually cause all the player to lose the game.

* A solo variant based on defeating said alien invaders before the game ends.

http://www.hexagonia.com/rules/Merchant_of_Venus.pdf

Has anyone played these? Did they not make it into the new version by virtue of being crap? If not, how easy would they be to re-integrate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
* Increased playing interaction through combat (likely rare) or stealing an destroying other players resources (sounds much more interesting).

I haven't tried these rules myself yet, but a lot of people didn't like them, saying they felt tacked on, and while they increased interaction, they mostly just slowed the game down because now people are spending more money buying defenses and less time actually trading (plus you have to use up precious cargo slots to store some of the weaponry).

Again, I don't know either way if it's good; some people do seem to like them, but those seem to be in the minority.

Quote:
* An aggressive alien invading the cluster, adding penalty markers as they go and which can actually cause all the player to lose the game.

These make the game pretty tough, at least in the few solo games I've played. Plus you kind of need to use the laser rules to make this work, I think.

Quote:
* A solo variant based on defeating said alien invaders before the game ends.

You aren't really trying to beat the aliens, per se, as much as you are trying to get to your target net worth before they overrun the sector. You can defeat (some) of the alien counters to slow them down, but most of them are so insanely high numbers that they can be nigh impossible (literally) to defeat.

Perhaps a more seasoned veteran of those rules can chime in on them in more detail, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Alves
Portugal
Setubal
Setubal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a peek on the original rulesbook then suddenly i became dizzy. Too much to read and yet has a noltagia feeling, like i watching an TV from 60's. That rulebook looks like RPG books, aka First editions of D&D.

Glady to have the revised rulebook from FFG which is more user friendly.
Easy to read, easy to remember, ready to roll and moving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will tell how popular these the combat variants are: I am pretty sure if I asked players at the WBC tournament if they'd rather play with or without combat and I'm not sure if I'd get more 1 or 2 votes for combat. It would not surprise me if the vote against combat would be unanimous.

Combat's entire effect is to slow down the game. What usually happens is a losing player decides to go for combat (The winning players don't need to--why upset the gravy train?) That forces the winning players to defend themselves by buying larger ships with more weapons AND they have more ability to do so since they are winning. After wasting at least an hour, the players get back to trying to win again. And the same player winning as before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. snowMan
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was inspired by the Rastur variant, and created my own updated variant:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/892271/solo-variant-the-rast...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.