BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Descent vs. Mansions of Madness rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
So, I'm thinking of picking up Descent because I love fantasy themed games and it looks like a blast as a dungeon crawl. My only hang up is that I have a friend in my gaming group who loves Mansions of Madness. It was actually the first game he ever bought. He really likes the Lovecraft theme, and has since bought other Lovecraft games.

Descent and Mansions of Madness seem kind of similar on the surface with the 1 vs All setup. What are the significant differences which could potentially make this a more interesting game for our group then Mansions of Madness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you're referring to Descent 2nd edition -

1) MUCH quicker setup time in Descent, and no hidden setups from the players (as opposed to "Oh, er, you've already picked your investigators? Why don't you go do your taxes while I prepare the board.")

2) Campaign mode that allows for progression for both the Overlord and the PCs over multiple quests, and an overarching storyline

3) Quicker play time in general, all things considered

4) Combat is a tad more predictable in Descent2E - yes, there are dice rolls, but you're not drawing cards to determine randomly what stat you'll need to check against for combat.

Don't get me wrong, I still prefer MoM for the reasons your friend does, but Descent2E does do some things better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean P
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played and enjoyed them both, but there are real differences between the two.

Firstly, time played. Mansions is a longer game and isn't really suited for campaign play. Descent 2nd is great for campaigns and with a little experience a scenario can be completed quickly. The rules are much simpler for Descent.

Descent is much more combat based with square counting and range checks and such. Mansions, as you know, has lots of little cards and such for clues, combat results, etc.

Mansions has the secret scenario that only the Keeper has full knowledge of at first. In Descent, it's open info for everyone and usually its a lot simpler, like "Kill the big guy before he escapes."

I own and love them both. They don't feel the same during gameplay at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Marlowespade wrote:
Assuming you're referring to Descent 2nd edition

I was, sorry for the lack of clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N S.
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had fun playing both but Descent is simply a better game. The biggest problem with MoM is there are too few good scenarios and too many lame or partly broken ones. Descent has much more variety out of the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks everyone, so far. I would have thought with how popular Descent seems to be, I would have got a little more feedback though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Not Telling
msg tools
I'm interested in this as well.

Especially I'm curious in how fun playing as the keeper in descend vs MoM. In Descent it seems (not played it so this is just based off impressions from reading) like you're actually playing the game, in MoM is it the same or is it more like bookkeeping for the players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Speager
United States
flag msg tools
mb
themadcow, I opened this topi on the Descent forums too, you might want to check that out as well.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/891314/descent-vs-mansions-o...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.