Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
78 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: I get to look at your hand, is it bad form to share information with others? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I trigger an effect that lets me look at your hand of cards. Can I share any information I glean from your hand with other opponents at the table (say it's a 4 player free for all game)?

What if we're playing Game of Thrones or a similar game that feeds off squabbling, backstabbing, and metagame politicking? Is it different for these games only?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
You can look into it, other players can't, since they aren't the ones activating the effect that allows you to look! You can however, tell them what's in there.


That they believe you is another matter
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened in Wiz-War and is a bit of a reverse of the topic situation:

Player played a card that let him look at my hand and steal two cards. I told the table what he took. Everyone thought I was out of line.

I feel kind of guilty and apparently won't do that again, but I'm not positive I was in the wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galaad Maal
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like cut blocking to me: pretty dirty, but within the rules.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
Avatar
mbmbmb
charlest wrote:
This happened in Wiz-War and is a bit of a reverse of the topic situation:

Player played a card that let him look at my hand and steal two cards. I told the table what he took. Everyone thought I was out of line.

I feel kind of guilty and apparently won't do that again, but I'm not positive I was in the wrong.


Totally appropriate to share. You need friends who like fun.
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darian Tucker
United States
New Smyrna Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
charlest wrote:
This happened in Wiz-War and is a bit of a reverse of the topic situation:

Player played a card that let him look at my hand and steal two cards. I told the table what he took. Everyone thought I was out of line.

I feel kind of guilty and apparently won't do that again, but I'm not positive I was in the wrong.


Totally appropriate to share. You need friends who like fun.


In general this is inappropriate. In games where information is supposed to be hidden, sharing it can actually ruin the fun. Most games of this ilk have a statement or two in the rulebook concerning what information you can and cannot share, especially FFG. I have not played Wiz-War, so I cannot remember for sure if this game does.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It definitely depends on the game -- Panic Station, Resistance, Battlestar Galactica - if you look at someone's cards and DON'T share the information (truthful or not) I'm more likely to think you're playing for team evil.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it's bad form, but you're sacrificing your advantage by doing so. In a situation where one player is clearly ahead and everyone is effectively teaming up against them, I think it's totally fine.

That said, my opinion doesn't matter if your game group thinks it's out of line.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This definitely depends on the game. If you're playing Resistance or the like where back-stabbery and misdirection are part and parcel to the experience, I say its all good.

If not, I think you have to keep mum. If I look into your hand and tell everyone what is there, that's a bigger blow to you. So that makes the "look at another player's hand" card more powerful and worse for the target.

Similarly, if I steal from you and you tell everyone what I took, then you've removed part of the advantage of the card. In a game where you can roughly count cards and keep track of powerful ones, then by stealing I may have gained a powerful card that others don't know about. Share it, and everyone can prepare mitigating the value of my "steal a card" action.

I guess, if you generally would keep the info hidden, that info needs to stay hidden even if someone gets a legitimate peek at your cards.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it depends on the spirit of the game. If it's all about politics and backstabbing then of course share the info (accurate or not).

But I would only do it if it was appropriate within the context of the game, not just to be vindictive.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you stand to gain something from other people knowing, then sure. Otherwise it is pointless and vindictive.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brody Lipperman
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
D6 Desparados
Avatar
mb
Renaissance Man wrote:
If you stand to gain something from other people knowing, then sure. Otherwise it is pointless and vindictive.


In most games, I consider being pointless and vindictive "gaining something" Of course I am a jackarse...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The War Chief
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
BRING ME THE HEAD OF SETH NEMEC AND RIK FALCH!!!!!!
badge
In Memorial: Moose, my dog. B:? D:01/13/16. He died peacefully surrounded by those who loved him. You will be missed.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That which is not prohibited is permitted.whistle
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh boy, this thread is so going nowhere fast...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
Avatar
mbmbmb
Wiz War encourages major player screwage. If someone just stole cards that will win them the game, it's your duty to let the other players know that. And if they didn't, then it's your duty to make them think they did so as to divert attention from your own nasty plans.

Just don't be surprised when they tell everyone what cards they left you with.

Wiz War should end with victory laps and chest beating or you're not playing it right.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OP: If it isn't forbidden, go ahead. Depends on the group's style but we would always allow it unless explicitly told not to by the rulebook.

However, i would personally always take such a hand contents declaration with a pinch of salt, maybe because I play Cosmic so much. I never believe anyone when they tell me, for example, that they just had, say, the 40 attack stolen off them in Cosmic Encounter. There's simply too many other reasons they may want me to think they had it/are double bluffing and they still have it etc etc.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I won't and won't play with people that will.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit of the game vs laws of the game?


If it's a game focussed on negotiation / backstabbing / traitors then fair enough as it's part of the spirit of the game. Otherwise I don't think I'd like it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schroth
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
I think it's generally fine to do it. The only way it is likely to leave a bad taste in my mouth is if the player does something to try to "prove" that they're telling the truth. We should have to judge whether or not we trust the guy revealing the information, and weigh the possibility that he's lying.

If he tries to get around that by saying "OK, guys, he has Card X. I can prove it, here is the exact word for word text of Card X: blah blah blah". Yeah, technically he could be a really good improviser/bullshitter or he has just memorized the card text but it's probably pretty easy to tell if he's being honest in that case. That to me would be stepping over the line. Of course I don't think I've ever seen someone do that.

I feel like if a game gives players the ability to look at other players' hands, it's very unlikely that it's not in the spirit of the game to reveal the contents. Could someone name a specific example of a game that allows this that doesn't feel like a game where negotiation and table talk are acceptable?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Hicks
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
Wiz War encourages major player screwage. If someone just stole cards that will win them the game, it's your duty to let the other players know that. And if they didn't, then it's your duty to make them think they did so as to divert attention from your own nasty plans.

Just don't be surprised when they tell everyone what cards they left you with.

Wiz War should end with victory laps and chest beating or you're not playing it right.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Farrell
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jesb wrote:
I agree that it depends on the spirit of the game. If it's all about politics and backstabbing then of course share the info (accurate or not).

But I would only do it if it was appropriate within the context of the game, not just to be vindictive.


This. It all depends on the game. It also depends on the players. I think those two things are the answer to your question.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
If other table talk is acceptable, certainly you should be able to.

The only ethical issue that would rise is if you were looking
outside the rules of the game (say to aid a new player).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If negotiation is allowed in a game, then yes, it's an acceptable practice. If it isn't than no. If people say they don't like playing like that within the framework of the game, then that may not be the game for them.

Play the game as it was intended and you're golden.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
If negotiation is allowed in a game, then yes, it's an acceptable practice. If it isn't than no. If people say they don't like playing like that within the framework of the game, then that may not be the game for them.

Play the game as it was intended and you're golden.


What if the rules make no mention of negotiation or table talk? Does that mean it's implicitly not allowed?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:

What if the rules make no mention of negotiation or table talk? Does that mean it's implicitly not allowed?


If they don't mention player negotiation as a primary rule, then it is implicitly not allowed. To do otherwise is metagaming.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.