Popular Tags: [View All]
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
Former Washington Post Pentagon Correspondent Tom Ricks had a great little spat with Fox News anchor Jon Scott.

When asked about the potential political fallout from Benghazi, Ricks argued that now that election is over, with Fox News no longer hyping the story as much, the GOP will probably gradually lose their interest in fighting over the nomination of Susan Rice. Calling Fox News "a wing of the Republican Party", Ricks certainly poked his finger in the eye of news service which tries to present itself as 'fair and balanced'

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/erik-wemple/post/ricks-f...

Rick's eventually apologized for being cranky but not for calling the situation as he sees it- namely, that losses in our embassies is part of the current landscape of how we do diplomacy anymore, and that Fox News and the GOP have been harping on Benghazi specifically in order to score political points, when hundreds of American contractors died in Iraq and no one cared.

Of course, this kerfluffle begs the real question that could be asked during the confirmation process of Susan Rice- do we really need to be so in the weeds, as it were, in the diplomacy of other nations where security is a very real concern, that the safety of the lives of staffers is an ongoing issue? Or is this simply the cost of diplomacy in the 21st century, and as a nation we should acknowledge and thank those who are willing to risk their lives to be our representatives abroad?

Either way-
I'm off to buy Rick's latest book "The Generals", where he argues that one of our biggest problems in National Security is that we don't fire generals when they screw up anymore.

Great stuff.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
So MSNBC called up Ricks, after they heard how he dissed Fox News.

He told them-
"Naw- You're just like Fox, just not as good."

*LOL*

There's a classic bit on YouTube where he just shut down Olbermann one time. Great stuff.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vlad Taltos
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb

Actually Fox claimed he apologized, but he denied it. Fox also cut the segment in half when it was clear that the interviewer might have to defend the histrionic propaganda of his party... opps I meant his network (of lies and misinformation).

http://www.upi.com/blog/2012/11/28/Tom-Ricks-to-Fox-Thats-ho...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The price of (your style of freedom) is eternal danger. If you do things that piss people off, they get pissed off. Turning round and saying "but we are allowed to" won't dampen down the anger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably know that The Atlantic has a condensed version of Ricks' book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles F.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:

I'm off to buy Rick's latest book "The Generals", where he argues that one of our biggest problems in National Security is that we don't fire generals when they screw up anymore.

As compared to which era?

Loved FIASCO, THE GAMBLE and occasionally read Ricks' blog. Trust his latest book is also a fascinating read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
WWII, according to Ricks.

His argument is that starting with Korea, US Presidents have increasingly not held commanding generals accountable for their failures.

Haven't read the book yet though, just read the article in the Atlantic that Joshbot linked to in this thread.

Darilian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
Combat fatigue was still a controversial issue in 1943

Of course under the name shell shock it was well known from WWI. It just seems to have taken more than 25 years for the idea to sink in. Though not with everyone, he was suspended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian
United States
Enfield
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
He's retired now, so I guess he's not fully a "modern" general, but Norman Schwarzkopf comes to mind. The way he played the media (and hence the Iraqis) with his "amphibious assault" plan was pretty genius.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
Hitler was either exceedingly lucky or an astute judge of enemy intentions and will to fight.

Fortunately with a major misjudgement in 1940.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
LeeDambis wrote:
Hitler was either exceedingly lucky or an astute judge of enemy intentions and will to fight.

Fortunately with a major misjudgement in 1940.

I think his judgement was just fine in 1940 (attack France through the Ardennes, don't invade Great Britain).

The quote was about judgement of will to fight, so Ardennes et al is completely irrelevant. And he clearly got it wrong about the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaendlmaier wrote:
"I fired him because he wouldn't respect the authority of the president. That's the answer to that. I didn't fire him because he was a dumb son of a bitch, although he was, but that's not against the law for generals. If it was, half to three-quarters of them would be in jail."

- Harry S. Truman on Douglas MacArthur

You'll find plenty of criticism on both Patton and MacArthur. But history's written by the victors and people always crave for heroes, so that's the public impression of these two today and that's also why today's generals are seen as inferior to them. But the US army isn't facing Bastognes or Inchons any more; if it was you'd soon see a new flock of heroic generals dragging the army out of the shit, others or themselves drove it into.

Rommel has always had a very good reputation despite being on the losing side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read that many russian peasants would have been just fine with the Germans because they were treated so badly by their own leaders.

But then the germans went about killing them and their attitude shifted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Patton
Hitler
MacArthur
Wehrmacht
Rommel

i'm sorry, I must have wandered into the Wargaming subforum by mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.