Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping that in addition to the normal hate for the NBA, basketball and sports in general someone might have decent opinions.

I don't have the NBA's video package, but I do get audio. Basketball isn't a good radio sport because ideally you're watching two or three different things at once on the court if you want to really see how the play develops. (Soccer's like that too.) In any case, that's about the only way I get games -- but I can get any game I want, not just Portland.

One thing I don't like about the audio package is that the state of the game in play-by-play radio has declined significantly from the Bill Schonley era.

But to the ball, I'm not as impressed with some of the teams I'm listening to as I probably should be. But the Nets, in their first year in Brooklyn after decades of exile in Jersey, seem to be coming to life.

Why have I heard so little from this year's rookie class? I read a lot about Damien Lillard being in Portland, but even he hasn't been all that impressive on a (charitably-described) bad Portland club. Where is Anthony Davis? (Apparently he's played in only six games and is an average 16.0 ppg and a decent 8.3rpg.)

Who should I be listening to regularly if I want to hear some decent ball?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Sixers fan, I'm just psyched that they made a move for Andrew Bynum, even if it failed due to health issues. Actually loving the growth of Jrue Holiday, and maybe Evan Turner can become a solid player (if not worthy of the #2 pick).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Calvin College Lady Knights. My daughter-in-law is an assistant coach there and they were rated #1 in preseason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past and learn for the future.
badge
Lets go Jets! Lets go Celts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Calvin College Lady Knights. My daughter-in-law is an assistant coach there and they were rated #1 in preseason.

...and they play actual basketball, not the carrying, hacking, flopping they do in the pros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

hey hey! good Michigan school! Opposite side of the state, but I know a lot of people that went there. There is a start up con in the Grand Rapids area next winter, you could kill two birds with one stone, visit family and first con! And we could play a game or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Tadyshak
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm a huge basketball guy and enjoy watching the best of the world go at it, but the latest move to punish the Spurs annoys me. It shows the NBA is more into a fancy show then actual good basketball.

Quote:
...and they play actual basketball, not the carrying, hacking, flopping they do in the pros.
What? People flop and hack all the time in collage and HS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
mbmbmbmbmb
NBAfan wrote:
the latest move to punish the Spurs annoys me. It shows the NBA is more into a fancy show then actual good basketball.

The stupid thing about this is that the Spurs could easily have claimed the players were injured and held them out of the game. The reason they were fined is because Popovich thumbed his nose at the dumb NBA rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrin Williams
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
I have overtext. Yes I do.
badge
I have overtext. How 'bout you !
mbmbmbmbmb

The real tragedy of the Popovich thing, is what it did to my Fantasy Team.

I had Parker and Duncan starting that night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Go Huskies!...oh, well
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in an NBA vacuum up here in Seattle. This, after getting nearly every Pistons game on local TV when I lived in Michigan. I'm pissed that I'm missing the Durant years and the emergence of Memphis and Brooklyn. Next year, I think I'll splurge on the NBA package. Or, hopefully, they'll make a deal for online access so I don't have to switch to Comcast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always loved the NBA. I remember having to stay up on school nights to watch NBA Finals games (!!!!) on tape delay. Good golly!!

I haven't caught the Knicks yet this year, but they seem to be making waves. The Thunder are a fave, and I would really like to see Rubio get back to health along with Kevin Love and see how the T-wolves develop after an eternity of being terrible. That will probably take until next year though.

You're not giving Liliard enough credit for how he's playing - he's all the rage in rookie play.

And, it's been fun to see Harden playing out of his mind after his trade to the Rockets. That was a mind-boggling trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Magic beat the Lakers! All is good now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NBAfan wrote:
I'm a huge basketball guy and enjoy watching the best of the world go at it, but the latest move to punish the Spurs annoys me. It shows the NBA is more into a fancy show then actual good basketball.

Quote:
What? People flop and hack all the time in collage and HS.

That pisses me off. Well, it shows the NBA, and Stern, is about the money. How DARE the Spurs rest folk for a marquee game?

I love the NBA. My favorite league with my favorite team, the Bucks. They need to make a move. Rumor has it that the team is prepped for sale. Lame duck GM, coach, decent salary shape. I'm not sure what will happen with that. I just don't want them to leave Milwaukee. I will still follow and follow the NBA but it would be sad if I have to travel to Chicago to watch an NBA game.

I like how the Lakers are struggling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently New Orleans may change their name. So there's that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
What I dislike about every major sport other than NFL is that during the playoffs (when I would be interested in watching) I can't because pay tv holds the rights to most of the games.

I think it would be worth it for the leagues to take less revenue from the television contract, but have the wider audience that broadcast television offers.

But maybe not, either way NFL is pretty much the only sport I watch because I actually can watch it during the playoffs. And even that sport I don't watch much anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:

Of the options presented I really liked the Krewe, but that may have been to obscure for the national arena. (A Krewe is an organization that puts together floats or other presentations for Mardi Gras.)

Still, Pelican's isn't bad. And its possible the Hornets name may be used to rebrand the Bobcats in Charlotte.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SVan wrote:
The Magic beat the Lakers! All is good now.

I'm close to Orlando and listening to the Magic fans snicker at the current Dwight Howard troubles is humorous.

Not as funny as the call when the Lakers blew a 17 pt lead to quote the Rocket's play by play radio announcer Craig Ackerman "The game is over!" The game is over! The Lakers have just pooped their big boy pants and the Rockets have come from 17 down to win 107-105."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wagner
United States
Wood River
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Magic fan, watching or hearing about the Lakers losing makes my day, as well as hearing the Heat lose to the Wizards.

I was a blind Dwight Howard fan when he was on the Magic. I kept telling myself that his flaws didn't hurt the team. But now I can see that I was wrong. Plus, it doesn't help that his back is still not 100% and may not ever be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.