Subject: Fury of Dracula PBF #40: I Am Loyal To You Master rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Morton
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome to Fury of Dracula PBF #40 : I Am Loyal To You Master

After taking part in a number of FoD PBFs numbering in the double figures I thought it about time I repaid the community the favour and moderate a game myself. I freely admit that I occasionally get rules wrong in FoD, so please shout if you see something wrong. The following sections are mostly copied from leafboy and dave65tdh, but I'll reiterate it anyway:

1) Escape as Bat and Fangs can be played if there would be nowhere for Dracula to go with Escape as Bat. If it is and there's a successful escape or bite, Dracula simply remains where he is. (Thematically, Dracula takes flight into the night sky, but noticing all cities are guarded, he simply lands somewhere else in the same city.)

2) If Dracula gets the Fangs or Escape as Bat special move, a Hide power card gets removed from the trail if the location where it was played gets replaced. All other power cards stay.

3) If Relentless Minion gets played, only the outcome of the second combat will decide what happens to the encounter chit, and the rest of the hunter's turn.

4) Customs Search may be played on Dracula's current location if there are no encounters there, and if the hunter uses Sense of Emergency to cross a sea.

5) If a Hunter is under control of the Bats encounter, Dracula can choose not to move the Hunter (and cannot move him through the roadblock).

6) If Dracula plays Unearthly Swiftness, only 1 Encounter can be matured (in addition to moving the other location to the Catacomb).

7) Hired Scouts reveals all Encounters on a location—including an Encounter on a Hide. Sensationalist Press only obscures the location, not the Encounter. Similarly, Telegraph Ahead also will reveal Hide.

8) Wild Horses can be used to avoid Vampire Lair and there is no requirement for the hunter to move into the city with Dracula; and the Hunter performs another Search in the new city.

9) Heroic Leap cannot be used with Vampire Lair.

10) An escaped New Vampire still ends the hunter's turn.

11) Hypnosis: D must reveal his next move and if he can do it, he must (either normal move, power, evasion, stormy seas, or escape as bat).

12) Chartered Carriage may be used for a Hunter Group, but Sense of Emergency, Excellent Weather, and Fast Horse cannot be used on a Group.

13) All cards are drawn 1 at a time. Any ‘Play Immediately’ or ‘Ally’ card must be fully dealt with before going on. Players may reduce down to their hand limits after drawing all ‘Keep’ cards.

14) Players may play as many ‘play at the start of their turn’ cards or Resolve action as they have. Once they begin their movement, the start of their turn is over.

Invites will presently be sent to the first four people on the Hunter waiting list (plus an alternative) and the first person on the Dracula list (plus an alternative). Once we get confirmations, I'll assign the order of character selection by random number. The game goes infinitely better if everyone can check in at least once a day and I’m sorry to feel the need to state the obvious, but please don’t join this game if you can’t do that. We can easily manage a few days here and there, but please try to leave conditional orders (COs) for your character or allow another hunter(s) to control your character for a turn or 2.

Once we begin, I will provide a board image at the beginning of Dracula's turn so that the dark lord can plan his move around the Hunters. Other images will come on an ad hoc basis when it seems appropriate (I usually do it when locations in the trail are revealed).

All order should be bolded. When a Hunter moves to a new city, either Dracula or I can tell them whether they have crossed the Trail and what they find there. We're all here to have fun, and I don't feel I will (or should) need to verify each move myself if Dracula is around and can announce it. (This is also a chance for Drac to write a little flavor, if so inclined.). At this point, I would like to make all dice rolls.

At the end of each round, I will send a list of hands to all Hunters, as the players are permitted to see each others' cards. I will try to send cards as they are drawn, but may not always be able to. I will always make an effort to do so if they are relevant to the situation at hand. I may periodically update the discard piles as well as this is public and there’s no need for everyone to have to sort through the posts to keep track of this.

A note on event cards - since there's the possibility that even the first event card that is kept by a player could either be Good Luck or Devilish Power, we're going to have to wait for a response from the other side whenever an event gets played. Straightforward enough for Dracula - but waiting for all 4 hunters to respond can take a while, even at the best of times. I'm going to implement a new policy for this game:

Any hunter player can pass for the group. As soon as I have two such passes, I'll continue the game. This should suffice to prevent any hasty mistakes. (If the event affects only one specific hunter, a pass from only him or her will be sufficient, too.) Don't be coy when a situation comes up where you want another hunter to play a certain event - Dracula will usually be able to discern which one you're talking about from the context anyways. Otherwise, we can just wait until everyone posts—no rush, but I like to keep the game going along.

You might want to consider allowing your fellow hunters to play events (or items) from your hand by proxy. This can also help speed up the game if you don't check in very frequently. As soon as even one hunter dissents on such a decision, I'll wait for the owner of the card for the final word

Players holding a situational counter card, such as Escape Routes or False Tip-Off, should probably try to submit COs (Conditional Orders) regarding their use. The game can move relatively quickly, and you don't want to needlessly slow down the game. Good Luck and Devilish Power respond to other cards instead of standard game events, so I think they will be easier to manage. The goal here is to avoid unnecessary waiting, not to rush anyone into making a move. This is PBF and it will take awhile, but hopefully that extra time will be spent on analysis and strategy and not merely just waiting for someone to make a simple, obvious, required move.

A final note: this game's rules can be kind of fiddly, and you probably don't know it as well as you think you do. I certainly don't. Repeat this as required! (Really, everyone should expect to learn at least one thing they didn't know before over the course of the game.) If you think you see something happen wrong, say something, because you are probably right. I will try my best to make corrections and continue play smoothly. Once again, my goal is to get everything right, but I guess you get what you pay for.

What I have to add to this...there is no such thing as too many COs. Keep sending them to me. Note that I'll often cancel COs if relevant information on Dracula's trail is revealed, so don't worry about accidentally doing something you wouldn't if you knew where Dracula was.

Here's a guide for using text in the game:
Put your orders in bold. This will make it easier to see.
Other conversation is in normal text.
Flavor text can be put in italics.

Use character banners, if possible. There are plenty here

Also, have fun! The invite list will be available shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Morton
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Invites:

Dracula:
Chris Freiberg IN
Circadian (alternate)

Hunters
Circadian IN
oldpear IN
Daimbert IN
Dexter099 IN
GamerAtom (alternate) IN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I accept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Woodham
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily R
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Happy to join the hunt, though our current game is not quite over yet. It's looking certain that it will be soon...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same as Circadian. I'm in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Morton
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Excellent! We have 4 hunters confirmed. We're still waiting on oldpear, but if he declines, we have GamerAtom. So, I'll go ahead and roll the dice for Hunter choices and you can start thinking about who you'd like:

Circadian d1000 = (159) = 159
Daimbert d1000 = (683) = 683
Dexter099 d1000 = (491) = 491
oldpear/GamerAtom d1000 = (781) = 781

Typical! We'll give it till tonight for oldpear to respond and then GamerAtom can decide who he wants to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 219869. BlackSmoke
  • d1000 =
  • (159) =
  • Circadian
  • Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:40 pm
  • [+]
  • 219870. BlackSmoke
  • d1000 =
  • (683) =
  • Daimbert
  • [+]
  • 219871. BlackSmoke
  • d1000 =
  • (491) =
  • Dexter099
  • [+]
  • 219872. BlackSmoke
  • d1000 =
  • (781) =
  • oldpear/GamerAtom
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSmoke wrote:

Excellent! We have 4 hunters confirmed. We're still waiting on oldpear, but if he declines, we have GamerAtom. So, I'll go ahead and roll the dice for Hunter choices and you can start thinking about who you'd like:

BlackSmoke previously rolled d1000 = (159) = 159 (Circadian)
BlackSmoke previously rolled d1000 = (683) = 683 (Daimbert)
BlackSmoke previously rolled d1000 = (491) = 491 (Dexter099)
BlackSmoke previously rolled d1000 = (781) = 781 (oldpear/GamerAtom)

Typical! We'll give it till tonight for oldpear to respond and then GamerAtom can decide who he wants to play.

Sorry. Long morning at work. I'm in! I'll choose Godalming. Could use the money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Shorewood
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I just wanted to leave this message for the hunters while we're waiting to get going:

Six atomic supermen vampires to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

First question (of many): Should I post my starting location now? Should we hunters discuss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Morton
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

@GamerAtom - I guess you'll just have let Klaus run about a bit longer in #39. And you'll be first into the next one!

@oldpear - you can post right away if you want. You can change your mind up until I have starting locations for you all and I declare that Dracula may pick his.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd like to start in Eastern Europe. How's Belgrade sound?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it looks like I'm next, I'll take:

Van Helsing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Morton
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Dexter099, you're up for character selection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Woodham
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Seward. I'll be the group's psychiatrist and bellhop rolled into one, if you Ken my meaning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily R
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools

Then it appears I will represent our chronicler and keeper of the almighty to-do list, Mina Harker. Perhaps I'll set up base in Strasbourg to start with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Morton
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Our players have been cast and this very moment are in makeup and costume. The curtain shall rise imminently, but first, our stage manager must find their positions...!

Ok, so we have Mina in Strasbourg so far. Go ahead and discuss your start locations, but remember to bold your final choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Cybulskie
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So, I guess we should follow the standard set-up and start Van Helsing somewhere in England?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe O'Donnell
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daimbert wrote:

So, I guess we should follow the standard set-up and start Van Helsing somewhere in England?

Sounds good to me. And as no one has objected, let me make my placement official: Belgrade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Woodham
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm thinking somewhere in Spain, likely Alicante. My other option is to start in northern Italy to play back-up and porter to Mina.

I'm also thinking a Van Helsing start in Liverpool?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily R
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools

Yeah, but if you don't go to Spain, it becomes too strong a start for Dracula. We can't afford to have a full time babysitter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Woodham
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the same time, it might be best if we did eliminate Italy and Central Europe as a hiding spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emily R
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools

The tactics of opening positions are a strange and complex affair. Start in Italy if you want, I can't really say it's any worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Woodham
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Seward will start in Alicante

This way, I can swim to you if all goes wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Woodham
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also like to recommend a Swansea start for Van Helsing. It's flexible, and smack dab in the middle of England.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.