Subject: (1) A Tragedy In Several Parts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Conway
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Session One
Wherein we recount the adventures of George, the Elf Waywatcher; Derrick, the Norseman; and Bro, the Dwarf Ranger.

Our games of WHQ are heavily modified. I have re-written skills and character progression, rebalanced Monster encounters and treasure and so on, and made more minor changes like throwing in Objective Rooms to the general Dungeon Deck because I think they are just more interesting than standard tiles. One key difference from the vanilla game for instance is that combat is played in Initiative order from highest to lowest (as opposed to having the heroes always act before the monsters).

You may also notice that there is no Wizard in the party. That is because I can’t figure out how to balance WHQ’s magic system, or to bring it in line with skill system that we use without making it boring. So, at the moment, there is no Wizard (and no ‘Power Phase’ as such).

Additionally, a shout out to bobthebobish, from whose quest-system we are cribbing, for his excellent re-tool of WHQ discussed here.

After barely escaping the massacre of their employers at the hands of an Orc warband, our intrepid heroes had barricaded themselves in an empty room. George, had ‘liberated’ a few ARROWS OF DEATH from the battlefield. Derrick had torn a LUCKY TALISMAN from around the neck of their old boss. And Bro had found a shiny LIGHTNING FIRE RING. The three survivors surveyed their surroundings with trepidation.

George seized the initiative and kicked open a grime-covered door. It revealed a DREAD ALTAR to some ancient god – with arcane symbols etched into the floor and a brazier still burning away in the darkness. It was ominous.

After a brief hesitation the warriors spread out into the chamber only to be confronted by an Orcish Shaman and his accompanying bodyguards. So much for escape! George put his Arrows of Death to good use, as Bro and Derrick traded blows with the beasts and succeeded in defeating them with only light injuries.

It was perhaps appropriate that as our heroes progressed deeper into the dungeon they entered an ORC’S LAIR – festooned with peculiar fungus. Bro and George had been spending the last few years developing an immunity to fungal poisoning, and were hence invigorated by the spores flooding their lungs and nasal passages. Derrick, meanwhile, collapsed into unconsciousness and his companions glared at him sternly until he deigned to regain his feet.

While the tunnels split before them, Team THE BEST – as they now knew themselves – wasted no time in proceeding to the left. Why worry? With certain death behind only the gods knew what lay in store ahead.

And it was rats.

Many rats, of unusually large size. Their fur soaked in what had been a HOLY FOUNTAIN, the vermin froze in motion as George opened the door. Then they turned, as one, to fix their crimson eyes upon him. ‘Well, shit,’ said Bro.

It was in the ensuing battle, amid the shrieks and splashes, with reflected light flickering from the radiant pools in the chamber’s corners, that our heroes learned just how terrifying hordes of giant rats could be. Derrick was nearly devoured alive. George swung his sword wildly while hyperventilating in panic. Bro said ‘SHIT’ with increasing frequency.

At last the rats were dispatched. A stream of froth dribbled from Derrick’s mouth. George, wide-eyed, stabbed the end of his longbow at looming shadows. Bro had not desisted in trafficking with an Elf. They were, doubtless, FOREVER CHANGED!

Then there were Skaven.

“Wait, isn’t this the cavern of an Orc warband?” asked George, in a moment of clarity.

“Maybe the Orcs and Skavens are friends,” said Bro.

“No talk! Only violence!” said Derrick, hurling himself into the fray.

So it was that as the trio staggered into the FIERY CHASM, their straits were no less than dire. Derrick and Bro had both been wounded within an inch of their lives. George, who was a poncy git, remained reasonably healthy. But that was because he had a bow and was a poncy git. No healing items remained.

As our heroes’ eyes adjusted to the glow of the lava, they were greeted by the battle-cry of the very Orc Warboss whose warband they had previously dodged! Derrick could only laugh hysterically as the greenskin’s massive swings missed him by inches. George’s arrows went wide, because that’s what happens when you are a poncy git. But hope remained. Bro thrust his fist at the Warboss, unleashing the power of his LIGHTNING FIRE RING!

“Eat hot laser death, scumbag!” said Bro.

With a cracking hiss the hulking Orc was blasted with the combined and deadly energy of not only LIGHTNING but also FIRE. The Warboss’ bellows were drowned out by the explosion and, when silence returned, there was nothing left of him but ash.

Our heroes laughed and wept and embraced one another, only now realizing that one of Derrick’s eyes had been gouged out by a rat. But they had money. And they had loot. And they were alive.

“This job is great!” said George.

“Lightning Fire Ring!” said Bro.

“I didn’t need that eye really, I have a spare!” said Derrick.

And it was the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jakab

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rats of unusual size? I don't believe in them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Parker
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wait until I get the sewers expansion done. Oh yes there will be rats. Rats of ridiculous size!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Conway
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bobthebobish wrote:
Just wait until I get the sewers expansion done. Oh yes there will be rats. Rats of ridiculous size!

I honestly don't know how to feel about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.