X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Players can only negotiate during their round
(Phase 5: Actions), during the resolution of a crisis, and
when determining the order of play."

What about during Turn(phase) 6: Evolution card purchase?

I have only played this once and was teaching a group that never played this as well. At one point one of the players wanted one of the other players to turn a card so it would be cheaper for him. He offered compensation in return.

I know the rules read that you can't but, once you let the negotiation monster out of the bag it is hard to put it back. I told them the rules say you can't negotiate here so the players response was, "Well if he happens to turn that card I will be inclined to give him a gift."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds against the rules to me, but what you do with that in your group is up to you

EDIT: That said, rules like "Players can only negotiate during their round" are pretty ambiguous, since for most definitions of "negotiate", that's impossible. If I'm negotiating during my round, then almost certainly someone else is also negotiating during my round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Hagen
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
age agree eek egg erg gag gage game gamer gee geek gem germ keg kegger mag mage meek mega merge reek rem
mb
I am curious as to why the rules forbid negotiating during evolution card purchase, as it seems reasonable to do so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
jhagen1908 wrote:
I am curious as to why the rules forbid negotiating during evolution card purchase, as it seems reasonable to do so.

Likely for game flow. If every decision is open for negotiation, the game could drag on for some time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Büttner-Zimmermann
Germany
München
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Wiggle It!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that is just ridiculous.

I can negotiate in EVERY game! I can negotiate in Puerto Rico as well as in Agricola. Sure, I'm not allowed to "gift" ressources in every game; but you can still negotiate in auctions ("If you take A, then I won't raise the bid, if you leave me B...") or you can negotiate about not taking certain spaces and in return letting spaces open for the other player - and so on.

So either you negotiate - or you don't. What will you do? Enforce a Silence on the table?? ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Almecho wrote:
Well, that is just ridiculous.

I can negotiate in EVERY game! I can negotiate in Puerto Rico as well as in Agricola. Sure, I'm not allowed to "gift" ressources in every game; but you can still negotiate in auctions ("If you take A, then I won't raise the bid, if you leave me B...") or you can negotiate about not taking certain spaces and in return letting spaces open for the other player - and so on.

So either you negotiate - or you don't. What will you do? Enforce a Silence on the table?? ^^

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Boelinger
France
Nice
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would of course accept négociations at all times, and particularly in the situation you're explaining.
The negociations limitations given in the game rules are just a minimum authorized for those who want to speed up the game. Sometimes, with certain people very loooooooonnnnnnngggg to take their decisions, it might be better to put some limits or try to speed them up.
But as somebody clearly mentionned, you have to adjust the game to your gaming groups of course.
I have always played games with unrestricted negociations, and even if some games were slowed down it was for the greater of it because all those tense negociations were great fun !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Shrike
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Boelinger wrote:
I would of course accept négociations at all times, and particularly in the situation you're explaining.
The negociations limitations given in the game rules are just a minimum authorized for those who want to speed up the game. Sometimes, with certain people very loooooooonnnnnnngggg to take their decisions, it might be better to put some limits or try to speed them up.
But as somebody clearly mentionned, you have to adjust the game to your gaming groups of course.
I have always played games with unrestricted negociations, and even if some games were slowed down it was for the greater of it because all those tense negociations were great fun !

Thank you for the clarification and insight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.