Popular Tags: [View All]
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
In determining a road loop for scoring of the Sea Bastion, is the loop definition:

-- No hex edge may be crossed more than once?

or:

-- No hex may occur in the loop more than once?

In specific detail, may tiles like the Alehouse with 4 road connections serve as the mid-point in a figure-8 type road loop?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
In determining a road loop for scoring of the Sea Bastion, is the loop definition:

or:

In specific detail, may tiles like the Alehouse with 4 road connections serve as the mid-point in a figure-8 type road loop?

The designer clarified this specifically permitting a figure 8 (technically a pinched circle, so it appears the rules is better stated as hex-edge. Or perhaps by saying clearings aren't roads.

Scoring of Sea Bastion

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Danke. Yes, the stated ruling summates to not crossing a hex-edge more than once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I offer the alternative only since I want to avoid introducing a new term to the rules. This actually matches the standard Eulerian walk formation where nodes-aren't-roads (or bridges)

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
I offer the alternative only since I want to avoid introducing a new term to the rules. This actually matches the standard Eulerian walk formation where nodes-aren't-roads (or bridges)

B>

New term or not, "each hex side only once" is clear, well-defined, and easy to evaluate in any map. Anything else leads to difficulties in part because it is not completely clear on each tile what topology of roads is hidden under the boxes and symbols which define the activation abilities and upgrade costs of the tiles.

I'm going to stick with "each hex side only once" both in my play and in my teaching.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, just point out that Keyflower uses Lawson villages.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Yeah, that was surprising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

or:

The designer clarified this specifically permitting a figure 8 (technically a pinched circle, so it appears the rules is better stated as hex-edge. Or perhaps by saying clearings aren't roads.

Scoring of Sea Bastion

B>

Bruce,

so a loop can go through a tile more then once but not with the same route and if this is the case then you score the tile only once (even if 2 routes are used), right ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
powerwis wrote:

so a loop can go through a tile more then once but not with the same route and if this is the case then you score the tile only once (even if 2 routes are used), right ?

Yes to the not-the-same-road-segment (in or out) and yes, the rules are quite clear that it is only scoring for the number of connected tiles, not how many times you pass through them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
powerwis wrote:

Yes to the not-the-same-road-segment (in or out) and yes, the rules are quite clear that it is only scoring for the number of connected tiles, not how many times you pass through them.

ok for the connected tiles but the question is more about the roads (crossroads) on a same tile...
still not completely clear i must say because doing an 8 with the loop means going through a road where you already passed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
powerwis wrote:
thepackrat wrote:
powerwis wrote:

ok for the connected tiles but the question is more about the roads (crossroads) on a same tile...
still not completely clear i must say because doing an 8 with the loop means going through a road where you already passed :what:

And here we come to the original premise of this thread. There are two ways to think about it.

1. Only consider the road segments leading out from the central clearing, not the clearing itself.
2. Or consider the rule to mean "you cannot pass through a hex-edge twice", which had been adopted from another type of game.

I guess you're considering the figure 8 to somehow have the path crossing in the clearing. How about following the designer's suggestion and instead of drawing a crossing figure-8, consider a circle which has been pinched together in the middle so that it almost meets, but doesn't cross.

Covers the same tiles, no crossing.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
powerwis wrote:
thepackrat wrote:
powerwis wrote:

still not completely clear i must say because doing an 8 with the loop means going through a road where you already passed

And here we come to the original premise of this thread. There are two ways to think about it.

1. Only consider the road segments leading out from the central clearing, not the clearing itself.
2. Or consider the rule to mean "you cannot pass through a hex-edge twice", which had been adopted from another type of game.

I guess you're considering the figure 8 to somehow have the path crossing in the clearing. How about following the designer's suggestion and instead of drawing a crossing figure-8, consider a circle which has been pinched together in the middle so that it almost meets, but doesn't cross.

Covers the same tiles, no crossing.

B>

Many thanks Bruce for your help !
not easy to understand that when reading the rules...

is it really how the authors intended to play it ? (i already read the other post but still need confirmation for the french translation of the rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, he said so, and the scoring isn't out of line, so yes.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.