Hide
8 Posts

Battles of Westeros» Forums » General

Subject: Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Chaney
msg tools
I'm thinking about getting this game. I like the series and game genre enough that I think I'll probably eventually get all the expansions. But I'm going to start with the base game.

Are any of the expansions better (as in I would want to get them earlier)? And if I get Baratheon (I love Stannis) does that mean I should get the Warden expansions (see quote below)?

The Fantasy Flight site says "With this expansion, Baratheon’s forces are the equivalent of those of House Stark, assuming you own the Core Set and Wardens of the North...or those of House Lannister, assuming you own the Core Set and Wardens of the West. Indeed, the House Baratheon Army Expansion makes the Crowned Stag more than just a playable third faction. It makes it a true force to be reckoned with!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Baratheon rulebook says:

Quote:
In order to better support the content released in each expansion up to this point, there are battles found in this book that require players to have a copy of previously released expansions. To the right of each battle’s name, you will find the words “Required Sets” followed by a series of icons. Each icon corresponds to a specific expansion in the BOW product line. If any of the below icons are present in a battle plan, at least one copy of that product must be present in order to play that battle.

I don't own a copy, so I can't give you a scenario breakdown with what expansions are required. I would think at least some scenarios would require only the base game, but I'm not sure how many.

For those that do own the Baratheon expansion, it would be helpful to add a scenario description to the "More Info" section of the BGG game page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Chaney
msg tools
Yeah, I think the best thing would be a list of scenarios with each saying which expansions are required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterFel wrote:
I'm thinking about getting this game. I like the series and game genre enough that I think I'll probably eventually get all the expansions. But I'm going to start with the base game.

Are any of the expansions better (as in I would want to get them earlier)? And if I get Baratheon (I love Stannis) does that mean I should get the Warden expansions (see quote below)?

The Fantasy Flight site says "With this expansion, Baratheon’s forces are the equivalent of those of House Stark, assuming you own the Core Set and Wardens of the North...or those of House Lannister, assuming you own the Core Set and Wardens of the West. Indeed, the House Baratheon Army Expansion makes the Crowned Stag more than just a playable third faction. It makes it a true force to be reckoned with!"

I think WoN ("Wardens of the North") and WoW ("Wardens of the West") are both excellent (I have every expansion, and they are ALL great), and I would start with those as they add commanders and units directly to the main Great Houses. Both of these expns also add units with a "formations" ability which is one of my favorite, and I think most clever, mechanics in the game. I would not recommend starting with House Baratheon as my first expansion, just MHO. I would recommend buying the expansions in pairs; WoW and WoN, or LoR ("Lords of the River") and ToV ("Tribes of the Vale"). Bw/oB ("Brotherhood without Banners") is good, but my least favorite, and the banner activation mechanics change with them. I would save HB and Bw/oB for last, again just MHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Chaney
msg tools
I looked, and I from what I saw I think that only the Baratheon and Brotherhood expansions require other expansions (and Baratheon only requires WoW). So if I want Baratheon, I'd need the base game, Baratheon, WoW, and probably WoN just for completeness.

Meaning I'll probably buy the base game first. Assuming I like it, I'll get the Warden expansions. And assuming I like those, I'll then get Baratheon. I do want ToV and LoR but those don't seem to be as necessary and don't introduce as interesting things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterFel wrote:
I looked, and I from what I saw I think that only the Baratheon and Brotherhood expansions require other expansions (and Baratheon only requires WoW). So if I want Baratheon, I'd need the base game, Baratheon, WoW, and probably WoN just for completeness.

Just a tip: Baratheon expansion requires Vale and River, only in a couple of scenarios ok, but it does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Breitkopf
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterFel wrote:
Yeah, I think the best thing would be a list of scenarios with each saying which expansions are required.

See this thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/794291/expansion-require...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Chaney
msg tools
argwinkle wrote:
MasterFel wrote:

See this thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/794291/expansion-require...

Thanks! It looks like 3 out of ten scenarios in Baratheon require expansions other than the Warden ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.