BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming Articles

Subject: Through the Ages review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sindre Sømme
Norway
Ræge
flag msg tools
My brother recently bought the Czech board game Through the Ages, and I have now played it two times. The game is a card game you can have 2-4 players and the game lasts between 2-9 hours.

I played the game with my brother and two friends, this session lasted for approximately 7 hours and it was amazing. The game starts with all four players choosing a color and being handed each their separate boards and a lot of circular pieces, after these pieces have been put in their places and everyone is ready the starting player is chosen. In this game one of us picks up one of each color piece, shakes them and then drops one. The owner of the color piece that was dropped would be the starting player. The game then starts with the players buying cards and building a civilization.

There are three different kinds of stats in this game they are science, military and culture, each of these are stats you earn per round, Science is what makes you capable of getting better cards in front of you. Military will obviously make you more capable of fighting wars and plundering your neighbors and the last but not least is Culture, this is what you will need to win the game. The player with the highest amount of Culture in the end is the winner this is definitively almost never certain before the last round.

In the run of the game you play through four different ages, you start at age A and end after age III. In each age you can choose between 7 different types of cards which all are separated into the different ages. In age A you can only pick the age A cards that are face up on the board. The cards cost actions which you can have between three and fifteen of and they range in price from one to three.
The different types of cards are:

Production which can increase either your material production or your food production.

Urban cards are separated into four different sub-categories, these are Temple, Lab, Arena and Theater. The Urban cards mostly generate culture, military and/or Culture.

Military cards also have four different sub-categories and these are Infantry, Cavalry, Artillery and Air Force. The military cards can only generate military power.

Wonders are a card that symbolizes a great building, these are harder to build but they give you the best benefits of the game.

Leader is a card you can only have one of in each age, they have famous leaders on them and they give you good advantages on certain areas.

Government is also a card you can only have one of, and it is often really expensive in the amount of science it costs to change it. With this card you can choose to spend your entire round to force the card for a cheaper price.

Special is a card that give you specific advantages. These cards are also separated into four sub-categories, and they are Military, Civil, Colonization and Construction and you can only ever have one of each kind.

In each round of the game you will have to be careful to not have to many workers out because you have to give them food. And if you have to little happiness your workers will not produce. And if you produce a lot more than you use you will have to pay for corruption.

When the deck of cards for an age is depleted the next age starts, and you can get better cards, stronger leaders and better wonders. After you have played through ages A, I, II and III the game will end and the winner will be crowned!!

What I like about this game is that there is a lot of dynamic strategy involved and you often have to change everything you planned to do because of one move someone else did. It is entirely based on cards with the exception of keeping score and keeping the layout. This is a game that you can play for several hours and is at it's most fun with four players. I would recommend this game for anyone interested in strategy and if you have played Sid Meier's Civilization. This is a game i will play a lot more in the future.

This is my first ever game review so it is not really good, but I wanted to try doing it and im probably going to try it again. Comment with tips and tell me what you think. =D

Originally written for my blog www.thatsommes.blogspot.com

Sindre
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to Through The Ages game page here:

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization

Go to the Reviews Forum and click on post and submit your review there. This will place your review in the right place and may earn you some Geekgold in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done
Try using photos/different headings to make the next onr more enjoyable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sindre Sømme
Norway
Ræge
flag msg tools
i will do so right away :-D this was the best place i found :-P obviously didn't look hard enough.. thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sindre Sømme
Norway
Ræge
flag msg tools
nukeu666 wrote:
Well done
Try using photos/different headings to make the next one more enjoyable

I totally forgot to take pictures when we played the game and i didn't want to steal other peoples pictures. i have one basic picture with the review on my blog.. In the future i will remember to take pictures of the game.. and if I forget i will set up the game just to take a couple :-P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SommeS wrote:
nukeu666 wrote:
Well done

I totally forgot to take pictures when we played the game and i didn't want to steal other peoples pictures. i have one basic picture with the review on my blog.. In the future i will remember to take pictures of the game.. and if I forget i will set up the game just to take a couple :-P

I actually prefer my reviews without pics. I can find enough pics for a game in the photo section of the site. I go to a review to read about a game not look at pretty pictures. Of course, I understand I am in the minority.

If you care for a critique of your review though, I would focus more on your thoughts of the game and less on the actual mechanics of how it is played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sindre Sømme
Norway
Ræge
flag msg tools
casualgod wrote:
SommeS wrote:
nukeu666 wrote:
Well done

I actually prefer my reviews without pics. I can find enough pics for a game in the photo section of the site. I go to a review to read about a game not look at pretty pictures. Of course, I understand I am in the minority.

If you care for a critique of your review though, I would focus more on your thoughts of the game and less on the actual mechanics of how it is played.

firstly thank you for reading and commenting, it means the world to me.
and thank you for the response. I will keep that in mind the next time i write a review! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.