Tony Lam
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are two lines in the rulebook:

"Phase 1: Score Creatures

If you have any Creatures in your Ready Area, you must score them now."

"The Totally Expert Rule of Culling

When you score a die, you can only cull the die that scored and you can only score the glory for that die if you cull it."

The rulebook is very clear that you must score all the creatures and get the glory. My question is after the scoring, even if you don't want to get glory, do you still obliged to cull the scored creature? Do I have the option of not to get glory and not to cull it? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Totally Expert Rule of Culling" is an optional alternative to the normal culling rule. Culling is still optional, but with this rule you don't get glory for a creature if you don't cull it.

This variant only affects the part of phase 1 where you earn Glory. It does not change the following step where "you must move all Creature Dice (and Spells attached to them) from your Ready Area to your Used Pile."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
Penny Press Kickstarter: 1,284 backers - $60,376! Amazing! Thank you!!!
badge
Play Penny Press!
mbmbmbmbmb
One interpretation (and I firmly believe the one that causes the least amount of issues): You must score all creatures, but you only earn glory for those creatures that scored, and that you then culled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Beljo
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you need a kind of offical statement of Mike Elliot look out here:
Dr. Houserule, or how I made some minor changes to make my game more fun for me and stopped worrying

Key sentence:
"...if you are unhappy with the culling rule, play that you can only cull the creature you score, and that you have the option of keeping the creature and not scoring it if you feel that is the strategic thing to do."

In the end, have fun and play as you want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.