Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You heard it here first: the world's smallest golf game is about to get bigger.

How much bigger? Well, two cards bigger, to be exact. That will bring us to a grand total of 11 cards. I know: that's huge.

What are those two new cards going to contain? Well that's where all of you come in. Every game can benefit from a couple of player aids so that's what I'd like to do here. I'd love to hear your suggestions of what information would make the rules of the game easier to remember, easier to teach, and easier to play.

Where will I be able to get this expansion? We're working on a brand new edition of the game which will include all 11 cards (original 9-card game plus 2-card expansion). Once everything is ready, those who own the original version of the game will be able to contact me on BGG or via the Famous Games website to request a complimentary copy of the expansion. We'll also make the two cards available in a print-and-play format here on BGG.

What about the rest of the World's Smallest Sports Games? We'll be rolling out similar 2-card player aid expansions across the entire line. To make your suggestions about what should be included on the cards, please respond to the corresponding thread in each game's forum.

What's in it for me? Well aside from the smug satisfaction that comes with making the world a better place (and the games you play even awesomer!), I'll be selecting the best contribution in each of the five threads and sending that special BGG User a full set of the retail-ready 11-card versions as soon as they're available... for FREE, anywhere in the world, shipping and handling included!

Do I have to already own the game in order to participate? Not at all! People unfamiliar with the games can check out the interactive tutorials on our website and make their player aid recommendations based on what they learn there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Famous Fairways player aids, there are various pieces of information I'm thinking of communicating:

Some setup information, including par values for a sample course and a visual indication of how the par value defines how many cards get put out. This could also include a reminder about how woods are restricted on the shorter pars.

Also useful would be an explanation of each hazard, a summary of how a hole ends, and a reminder about the variable turn order.

So perhaps one card that focuses on setup and the other on gameplay. Are there any other suggestions about what I should be including?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting minigame?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The addition of new gameplay (such as a putting minigame) is out of scope for this particular expansion but it's a good idea for the future. For now, however, I'm focusing on providing player aids to help clarify the existing gameplay rather than adding anything new.

Here's a glimpse at how the Famous Fairways expansion is shaping up so far:

Card 10:

Card 11:

I've still got some time before I go to press. If you have any feedback on these, please fire away! meeple Any and all contributions made prior to press time will be considered for the prize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
First off - I think the cards look amazing. You did a great job with explaining the rules on the card.

A rule you may want to add is that "The effect of the bunker hazard is ignored when taking a gimme" - which is an actual question that has come up here on BGG - so it might be good to have to the card. I am not sure there is space -maybe if you went up a space on the hazards card (between hazards and fairway), moving the graphic up too - which may give a good effect of not having that hazard rectangle picture being so close to the bottom edge. Adding the rules, of course to the Bunker section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent suggestion. How's this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
First off the space between the picture and the bottom looks much better (having that space between the white line and boarder).

Not sure about the wording. What about "A bunker is ignored when taking a gimme." ?

Which may bring up something else - maybe on one of the cards explaining what a gimme is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gimme is just a jargon term and isn't adding any actual value in either of the two cases in which it appears. So I think the best solution is to remove it altogether. To help clarify that the two rules are mutually exclusive, I'm now more explicit text about "finishing the hole" in both cases.

How's this:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose if the question pops up about the bunker and gimme - there is always the rules. I think you are ready with what you have there. All the space is used - and the graphics seem in good places.....time to make the expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
However, I just realized you still using word gimmie on scoring and with no other mention of it on the cards, it could cause confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I just spotted that as well.

How's this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. Running out of clubs keeps it simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Inquisitive Meeple
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
The Inquisitive Meeple
mbmbmbmbmb
So all together - the revised cards should look like this

Card 10:

Card 11:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, barring any further tweaks and changes.

Thanks for the help. meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.